Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 am 

Sat Aug. 11 - We had originally planned to leave NY Saturday night after 8pm due to my wife having to work, She gave me the call around 2:30 that she could leave early :ac15[1]: I got off work at 4 and went home to load the van. We splurged a little this year and rented a minivan so the kids could have a more comfortable ride down, it was well worth the extra expense as the kids were about as well behaved as they could be considering the long drive.
We left from the Hudson Valley area just before 5:30pm. Last year we took I95 down and got on 501 this year we tried something different. We actually took 84 out of NY and picked up I81. We took another Interstate (can't remember the # right now) which brought us to the DC beltway, we did hit some bumper to bumper traffic here but it wasn't to long. We reached Richmond VA. just before 1am and I had enough driving for the night. We checked into a room at the Country Inn and all got right to bed.

Sun Aug. 12 - Everyone got up and ready to go fairly quickly we all had a light breakfast at the hotel and got back on the road around 9:30am. Now I have been reading about alternate routes to avoid 501 so i thought I'd try one. I remembered reading something about taking I40 off of 95 so I thought we'd give that a shot, and of course I didn't print directions though we did have a GPS so i just followed that. It put us on 701 shortly after we got on I40, which I was really worried about. Long story short it got us to where we had to go with no problems, it didn't take any longer and we didn't have to deal with 501.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 am 

Sun Aug. 12 - We arrive at the Breakers just before 3:30pm. Check-in was ok there were a few people ahead of me but not too bad. We unloaded the van and got everything up to the room. While my wife was unpacking I went out to the balcony, which is probably my favorite place to be, while I was out there I saw something out of the corner of my eye go underwater, I started to wonder why this person did'nt come back up yet then I saw a group of 4 dolphins swimming right off the beach. After 3 or 4 vacations here and living here for almost 7 years believe or not I had never seen dolphins before. I yelled to the wife and kids to get out there and we all watched them swim up the coast. We also so a couple who had just been married out on the beach doing photos. I really couldn't have been any happier with the start of our vacation.

After we had settled in we drove up to the Wild Wing Cafe at Barefoot Landing to have dinner (I will try to right a review on that later) we also stopped at the store to grab a few groceries. When we returned back to the hotel my wife and kids went in the pools while I enjoyed watching them with a few Margharitas from the Red Parrot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 am 

Sounds like a very good start to your vacation. Hope the weather is good! Love live reports!

Jo Ann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Reed. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a trip report. I know everyone is going to love reading it, including me! It sounds like you are off to a really good start!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 am 

Monday Aug. 13 - I woke up early and watched the sunrise which is one of my favorite things to do. After we all had some breakfast we walked down to the beach my 4 year old started to come around, he doesn't like the ocean but after a while he would stand and let the waves wash over his feet. After spending some time on the beach we walked up to the pools. I love just floating around in the lazy river. Everyone was pretty hungry early in the afternoon so we decided to have an early dinner. We went to Original Benjamins, I will try to right a review on that eventually too.
After dinner we took a walk down Ocean Boulevard. They had bouncy houses set up in the park so of course my kids wanted to try that. We looked around in the Gay Dolphin. We had ice cream at the Ben & Jerrys right across from the hotel. Once the kids settled back in the room I enjoyed relaxing on the balcony.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:54 am 

Tues. Aug. 14 - I slept in a little bit for some reason my body is programmed to wake up and watch the sunrise on vacation today I missed it. Everyone slept in today. After we all woke up we had a late breakfast. The wife and I didn't want to go to the beach as she had gotten a little burned the day before so we decided to walk around Broadway At The Beach. We did lunch at the Key West Grill. The kids went on some of the rides. We also did the jet boat that they have there. After the jet boat we went back to the hotel to let my son take a nap as he'd been going pretty good all afternoon. We ordered California Pizza for dinner and then we went down to the pools. I enjoyed a couple of drinks from the Red Parrot while they swam.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:54 am 

Keeping the Red Parrot in business... good call ! :nanner:

Thanks for the Live Report !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:43 am 

Wed. Aug. 15 - We went to Mammys kitchen for the breakfast buffet. After we ate everyone wanted to go on the beach. My son was really getting into being in the water, he would go out a little further and actually try to jump over some waves I'm glad he has finally come around and is not so scared of it anymore. The two girls enjoyed it as always. My wife lucked out and found a sharks tooth which I haven't been able to find any since I used to live here. After a few hours on the beach we went up to the pool area, I again just floated around the lazy river for the most part.

We went up to get cleaned up and dressed for dinner and my son fell asleep on the couch. We let him sleep for awhile. Our plan was to go to Murrells Inlet and try Drunken Jacks but it was well into dinner time when we got there and my son wouldn't have waited that long to eat. We ended up going to Damons. I couldn't choose so I ended up over indulging and getting prime rib and a half rack of ribs. After dinner we relaxed in the room for a little while then watched the firewroks while the kids played in the surf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Enjoying your report, Reed! How was Damon's? We have not been there in awhile, but plan to go back in the fall when it's not so crowded. Damon's seems to get reviews from A+ to F-.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall