Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm 

We did go back to Murrell’s Inlet last evening and ended up at Drunken Jacks. This is one of my granddaughter’s favorites. I think she could make a meal of the hushpuppies. I thought we were pretty early, but still had an hour and half wait. We went out to their back deck where we found a table overlooking the marsh and had a couple of drinks and appetizers. It was very relaxing, and there was a one band man playing and they piped the music to the deck. The wait went quickly as we just talked and reminisced about previous vacations together. We have had a pretty good run of vacations with our entire family, and I am trying not to take this for granted. As the kids grow older, I’m sure we won’t be able to do this every year, and I’m trying to soak it all in this year. (Sorry for side tracking there). We were seated and placed orders. I think we went through several baskets of hushpuppies (not because it took long for our food to arrive, just that they are so good). Our daughter and her family are not big sea food people, but they always really enjoy the prime rib served here. My wife ordered several appetizers for her meal, as did my youngest son. The elder son had the stuffed flounder, and I had the broiled scallops. Everyone truly enjoyed their meals. Our server was an expatriated Pennsylvanian, and graduated from PSU a year before our daughter had (1982).
After dinner we did take a short walk on the marsh walk. What a gem Murrell’s Inlet has in this natural setting. It is just a unique setting to walk along the walk, listening to the different bands playing, looking at the different artists’ offerings, and seeing such a mix of generations and cultures enjoying themselves.
Headed back to our temporary home and I think everyone crashed pretty early. We did sit on the balcony for a short while for a few relaxing beverages, and watched a few people shoot off fireworks, and too many flash their green lasers all about. Just a quick note on that, I read in the local paper this morning that Myrtle Beach Airport has now taken the number one spot in incidents of green lasers being shown on approaching aircraft, and that the Coast Guard has had several incidents of people shining these things into the cockpits of rescue helicopters in the Myrtle Beach area. Don’t mean to lecture, but if you buy one of these devices for your kids, make sure they understand the seriousness of their actions.
This morning we were up by 7:00 and headed up to the House of Blues breakfast buffet. The drive up to Barefoot Landings was really quick this early in the morning, and it didn’t take more than 15 minutes to get up there. Their buffet was very good, the service excellent, and it’s just a neat venue for breakfast.
We did stop a beach shop on the way back just to look around. I’m not sure if it was Wings, Eagles, or whatever. They all seem pretty interchangeable to me, and it’s always interesting to see what’s new this year. Got back and all the younger people headed to the beach. I talked to front desk about an issue we were having with the lock on our balcony doors. They had someone up in less than fifteen minutes and took care of the problem. We have been staying at the Paradise Resort for the last five years, and have found the care they have given us to be excellent. From the housekeeping staff, to the maintenance staff, to the front desk, they have been professional and very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:51 pm 

I can't believe those things, (laser pointers) are still being sold. Last time we were there.....I think 2 years ago, I don't remember seeing them hardly at all, hate those things and yes, they are dangerous...
Thanks again for your review. I'm certainly enjoying it. :nanner:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:08 pm 

Enjoying your live report and appreciate the review on the House of Blues and the breakfast buffet. We have thought about going there for Sunday brunch and just have not made it there yet.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:18 pm 

We love House of Blues breakfast. My favorite are the waffles. Yum...

Loving your report...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:52 pm 

Last night we made our annual trip to Margaretaville. Our grandkids really enjoy the ambience there, and I personally enjoy the music. We got there about 5:00 pm, and got in line. The line was short, and I had the delusion that it may be a short wait. We got to the front and they told us it would be from 2 ½ to 3 hours for a party on nine. I was a little set back, but it was early and my son-in-law felt the kids could tour around Broadway at Beach, and it would be all right. We had to return in 45 minutes to pick up a pager so my wife and I did a short tour, bought a tee shirt (Soft Kitty. Warm Kitty, etc. from the big bang theory), and headed back to Margaretaville to pick up the pager. The hostess assured us it would be about 2 hours, so I called the various groups with us and told them to be back in an hour and a half. My wife and I proceeded to our next annual stop, a couple of margaritas at the Stranded on a Sand Bar. My two sons showed up in about 45 minutes and then our pager went off. I phoned my son-in-law, and they were on the other side of Broadway. I went to the hostess and she agreed to hold the table for ten minutes, and the rest of our party made it out of breath, and happy it turned out to be about half the wait we were told. I got the seafood macaroni and cheese, and I thought it was pretty good. Everyone else got their usual meal and a huge order of nachos to share. The food is all right, but it’s the atmosphere we enjoy. The kids all love the hurricane, and sing along to some of the songs (Salt, Salt, Salt), and the balloon guy. After dinner about half of us headed back to our room and the other half stayed at Broadway at Beach for a while to shop and sight see.
This morning started pretty early, my oldest son, grandson, and I headed down to Spring Maid Pier to try our luck again. Our luck was not too good and we got skunked. It was a beautiful sun rise, and we met a couple from Tyrone Pa. (only about 45 minutes from home). We talked to them for about a half hour (their fishing luck was no better than ours, maybe alittle worse because as we were talking, a bird made off with quite a bit of their bait).
While we were fishing, my son-in-law took our youngest grandson back to Broadway to visit Wonder Works. They got there just as it opened, and it was not crowded at all. The timing was perfect and my grandson got to do all the activities without a wait. This maybe a good thing to keep in mind if any of you are considering this activity. Rick said it was pretty crowded by the time they left.
We all headed down to the beach by 12:30 and spent the afternoon boogie boarding, playing in the waves and looking for shark’s teeth. I have no idea where we are eating tonight, but will let you all know when I find out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:32 pm 

I apologize for the delay in the report, but as our vacation winds down, it always seems like we are trying to squeeze four or five days’ worth of activities into about a day and a half.
Thursday evening we tried a new restaurant for us. We went out to Broadway and went to Capriz. It was an adventure in dining. I had never experienced anything quite like it. We were seated quickly and had two attendants to fill drinks, explain the experience, and basically do anything to make us happy. We first were directed to a pretty extensive salad bar that had all kinds of Italian salads, cheeses, fresh bread, shrimp, etc., etc. You could very easily make a full meal of this. After salads we flipped our little cards from red to green, and before you could blink an eye, there were a parade of servers to provide a variety of pasta dishes (anything from macaroni and cheese to shrimp scampi) as well as servers who brought skewers of different meats (Chicken nuggets, chicken legs, pork, and steak). I understand they are associated with the Brazilian Steak folks. The nice thing about all of this is there was something for everyone, from the youngest with simple tastes, to those with a more developed palate. We shared an order of cannoli for dessert. We were all pretty full, but everyone got a taste and enjoyed the finishing touch of a great meal.
After eating we did a tour of some of the shops and purchased a few items to bring home (all I could think was where we are going to put this in our car to bring home). Then we split up, with us more experienced (older) travelers heading back to our room to enjoy a little relaxing time on the balcony watching the amateur firework artists ply their trade on the beach and sipping a few malt beverages.
Friday was our last full day at Myrtle Beach so we all wanted to make the most of it. Our daughter and her family wanted to be on the beach all day. My wife wanted to do some shopping. Our kids went to sand and my wife and I hit the pavement. Actually we went out to Market Common, so she could visit her favorite shop, Anthropology. I can’t complain because I can usually stop in the Orvis store as well. After are shopping trip we headed back to our room to pick up a little and just relax before our last evening here. When everyone got off the beach we were split on where to go for dinner, so we actually split up. My daughter and her family wanted to go back out Broadway at the Beach, and ended up at one of their old favorites, Hard Rock Café. My oldest son wanted seafood, so we headed back out to Murrell’s Inlet. We ended up at Spuds. We had never eaten there, but always thought it looked interesting. The service was great, the food was good, and our view was exceptional. We actually watched a brief storm blow in. After dinner we walked the marsh walk, looking at the various boats, and listening to the live bands. I think this about my favorite area of the Grand Strand. We then headed back to our room to start the depressing job of packing up.
Saturday morning we got up and finished packing and squeezing everything into our car. My son-in-law really helped us out by putting our beach chairs onto his hitch carrier. We checked out and headed north for a traditional last breakfast at the Sea Captains House. It is a nice way to say farewell to the beach with good food and a great view. My wife did purchase four small cookbooks at the Sea Captains House that had a variety of recipes from many of the restaurants of the Grand Strand so I guess we can try and enjoy those eateries all year long.
The drive home was about 13 hours. This year we decided to stay on 95 all the way to Fredericksburg Va. I think it was a mistake because 95 was more of walkway than a highway once we hit the 95/295 juncture above Richmond. It was good to pull into our driveway and it was not long after we got home everyone was sound asleep.
Thanks to all that have commented on our report, and if anyone has questions I would be happy to help anyway I can.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:40 pm 

Thanks for great report. I have truly enjoyed it!
:wav:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:11 pm 

Great report! Tagging along is always fun and the amount of detail and time you put into your report was much appreciated. I am glad it was so enjoyable for you and your family.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 pm 

Nice report! You had a nice vacation! Everyone got to do things that they wanted to do. I enjoyed tagging along...Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 am 

Your family sounds just like our family.. Loved reading your trip report...

Monteray Bay -2011
Surfside Beach House- 2013

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:28 am 

This was a great report. I appreciate the details.