Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:18 pm 

Isn’t great to be in Myrtle Beach! Traveling with us this year is our daughter, her husband, three grandchildren (two boys ages 15 and 12 and a young lady age 9), and our two sons ages 23 and 21.
We traveled yesterday from central Pa. (522 to 16 to 81 to 95 to 511) and traffic was not bad until we reached North Carolina. Several times both lanes of traffic would come to a complete stop, then crawl along for several miles, then come up to speed with no indication of why we had slowed (no accidents, no construction, no anything). This always amazes and completely frustrates me. It took a total of twelve hours of travel, although this includes a stop for breakfast in Fredericksburg, several gas stops, and our annual stop outside of Conway for boiled peanuts. This has become part of the tradition, we will stop at the same fruit stand every year and it gives everyone something to do for the last half hour of the trip.
Check in at the Paradise Resort was very smooth, and our three bedroom/two bath room was in good shape, as we have come to expect over the last four or five years. We managed to transfer all of our worldly possessions we managed to cram into every nook and cranny of the car to our room. If we purchase anything at the beach I think we will either have to mail it home, or leave something behind.
After getting settled we headed to what has become another tradition, and that’s our first meal at the beach at California Pizza out at Market Common. Food was good, service great, and beverages cold. This is one of the places our grandkids really enjoy.
After dinner we headed to the Food Lion at the southern end of Myrtle Beach to stock up on supplies for the week. We have found this grocery store to be a little less crowded and easier to get around in.
Then back to our room for a little well-earned balcony time with an adult beverage or two as the younger kids caught up on Nickelodeon before bed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks soooo much for starting this live trip report. I think the natives have been restless for more. (They even growl now and then.) :clown: So I know people will be reading every word. (Me, too!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:06 pm 

Balcony time at the beach with an adult beverage...can't be beat. Thanks for the report! I am in beach withdrawal... :sad:

waiting for more...

Jo Ann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:15 pm 

Keep writing........

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:02 pm 

Please keep writing...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:07 pm 

Our first full day at the beach started pretty early. My oldest son was up and about at 5:00 am and wanted to head down to the Spring Maid Pier to do a little fishing. My wife and I got up, made coffee, and I dropped him off at the pier a little before 6 and then to Crispy Cream for breakfast for everyone else. I went down to pick up my son about 9:30. He had caught a few small fish and was about ready to come back. We got back to the room, and got ready for the beach.
Carried most of our possessions down to the beach and set up camp. The kids played in the ocean and had a blast. The parents sat on beach chairs at the water’s edge and just soaked up the sun and watched the younger folks have a great time. I half looked for shark’s teeth and found only one. After 3 or 4 hours of this we headed up to the pool area, and the kids did the lazy river and the pool and adults enjoyed a few beverages from the tiki bar (as Jimmy Buffet says, “Thank God the Tiki Bar is Open).
Dinner tonight is at our Son in Laws favorite place, Angelo’s. We got there pretty early (since there are nine of us we try and get to places pretty early) and got seated immediately. The food was all good (steaks, pasta, seafood) and everyone enjoyed their meals. They also had a magician working the tables and he was pretty good. It was nice for the younger kids for a little distraction while we waited for our food. I have always admired those that perform close magic as opposed to someone making an elephant disappear on stage.
After dinner, my wife and I headed for a grocery store for a few supplies for fishing expedition scheduled for the next day (also a quick stop at the ABC store for a little beach coffee enhancement). The rest of our crew went and played mini golf at Cancun Lagoon. We met back at the room for a little TV time and then bed. The guys are all going fishing in the AM, and need to be at Murrells Inlet at 6:30 so we tried to be in bed a little early.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:16 pm 

Love your report. We call the ABC stores in SC the "poka-dot stores because of the big red dots on the buildings.
Can't wait for your next report. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:34 pm 

Day two at the beach started even earlier than day one. My oldest son had booked a charter with Tee to Sea in Murrell’s Inlet and we were to meet the captain at 6:30 by the dock behind the Dead Dog Saloon. We got an email from Captain E late Monday night stating he wouldn’t be able to make it and Captain Ned would be filling in. This made my son very apprehensive since he had taken charge of the trip and was worried that things weren’t going to work out. It was a worry that need not have happened because Captain Ned was very good. We left the dock a little after 6:30 and headed into Murrell’s Inlet for some finger menhaden for bait, then out to the ocean and down the coast for some larger baitfish. We caught these off of the beach at Huntingdon State Park. From there we headed out to the artificial reef about two miles out from Garden City. It was pretty exciting, for most of my family had never been out in the ocean on a boat. The weather was great, with only about a two foot swell. We trolled, bottom fished, and cast the finger mullet near the surface. Our target species were the Spanish Mackerel, and they were not too cooperative. We did manage to boat several small sea bass, and a smaller blue, but the mackerel seemed to be avoiding us. We finally got some strikes and managed to boat one late in morning. I don’t feel this was our captains fault, he was trying every which way to catch fish, and it didn’t appear to me that any other of the boats we being too successful either. Out trip was for about five hours, and he would have fished longer, but our youngest fisherman were having a little seasick problem so we headed in about noon. It was an enjoyable trip, and if any of you are fisher persons, you know that some days the fish don’t cooperate.
I’m not sure where we are heading for dinner tonight, maybe back to Murrell’s Inlet where the choices seem endless.
I hope everyone is enjoying our report as much as we are being here. I’ll try and keep up the report tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:37 pm 

Can I ask you what the fishing trip cost? My husband would love to do that...Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:40 pm 

Our fishing trip with tee to sea was $600. Their website gives a price list with a base price for four people. There were six of us today, so there was an additional charge of 50$/person. This seems about the norm in most of the charters we investigated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:08 pm 

Thank you and yes, that is about the going rate that I've found so far too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 pm 

Enjoying your trip! We have never been out on the ocean to fish...sounds fun! Angelo's is always a favorite of ours, too. You almost can not go wrong eating anywhere in Murrel's Inlet.

The ladies might enjoy going to the LAZY GATOR for some shopping...It is almost right across from Creek Ratz & Dead Dog Saloon...They sure have a lot of stuff!

Jo Ann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 pm 

Writing all this down. Thank you! :cheerleader:

ohiojo wrote:
Enjoying your trip! We have never been out on the ocean to fish...sounds fun! Angelo's is always a favorite of ours, too. You almost can not go wrong eating anywhere in Murrel's Inlet.

The ladies might enjoy going to the LAZY GATOR for some shopping...It is almost right across from Creek Ratz & Dead Dog Saloon...They sure have a lot of stuff!

Jo Ann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:59 am 

Great report - glad you got out fishing !

Quote:
(as Jimmy Buffet says, “Thank God the Tiki Bar is Open)

Interesting tidbit.... that song was written by John Hiatt (who has written more successful pop songs than just about anyone on the planet, including Bonnie Raitt's "Thing Called Love"). Hiatt's original is much more mellow.... Love the way the Coral Reefers turned it into a swing/Big-Band tune.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:56 am 

I'll second Jo Ann on
Quote:
The ladies might enjoy going to the LAZY GATOR for some shopping

I LOVE to go there! :lol: The really nice thing is they have rocking chairs out of the covered porch for the guys to sit in while they wait. Danny always enjoys sitting there people-watching while I shop. I can spend hours in that shop! :oops: :hysterical: :ac15[1]:

Karen in Upstate SC