Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:05 pm 

Our week at the beach passed too quickly, as usual! For those of you who requested a trip report, I'm afraid you will find it boring...we are creatures of habit (obviously, since this was our 43rd summer vacation at North Myrtle)! This was the first time I had stayed on Crescent beach. We rented our condo through VRBO-it was fine. This year, there were only six of us on the trip.

Seriously, every year/every day goes pretty much like this-

Umbrella and chairs go on the beach early (at least by 7:30 ish). Someone of our group is occupying one of those chairs by 8:30-9:00. The day consists of 1) alternating between sitting in the sun and the shade, 2) walks on the beach, 3) a little cooling off in the ocean or pool, 4) hauling all the stuff back to the condo between 2:30-4:00.

Then, every year/every evening goes pretty much like this-

We eat at Beck's in Calabash twice (once at the beginning of the week and once at the end). We have pizza or subs in the condo one evening. My mother cooks a couple of evenings. We go out to eat one or two evenings-this year, we went to Sticky Fingers and Duffy's. My husband and son play golf once or twice. We drive around one or two evenings after supper just to sightsee a little. We don't go to Barefoot Landing or Broadway anymore-it got to where we just wandered around and basically saw the same things we saw the year before. We do enjoy Belks at the mall because we don't have it here at home and we enjoy finding little locally owned shops-also can't resist Callahans in Calabash just to see if there's anything new.

Every year at Christmastime, we start talking about the next year's beach vacation. I can't imagine a summer without the wonderful monotony of watching the waves roll in from sun-up to sun-down; the hushpuppies at Becks; and the wonderful memories every time my toes touch that sand for the first time each year!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:16 pm 

No trip report is boring to me! Thank u! Your trips are quite like ours...full of relaxation...routine is good...you know where you are going and how you will spend your time...Just reading about it makes me imagine what we will be doing in a few short weeks...so many of my friends have been down in the past week or are leaving this week...but we like to wait until August...kind of the last hurrah before the rush of prepping for the new school year...This may be my last year of teaching...then hopefully I can look forward to more beach time...even off season...thanks again...We have never been to Becks...but we do like Callahan's!

Have you ever been to the Lazy Gator in Murrell's Inlet? It is similar to Callahan's but not as big...nothing seems as big as Callahan's!

Jo Ann

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm 

They are never boring for me either. Loved your report.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

I had to smile at your trip report. Actually, I think it's wonderful. You go on vacation, you do everything you love, then you go home and start looking forward to next year. That means that you are satisfied and happy. And you can't ask more than that of any vacation!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:18 pm 

It sounds like a wonderful way to spend a holiday. So often one needs a vacation after a vacation. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:59 pm 

No trip report is boring (except maybe mine (lol), Glad to hear you had a relaxing time. Thanks for the trip report. We have never eaten at at Beck's in Calabash. May give it a try next time we are there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 pm 

Sounded like a great trip to me.

Plenty of beach time- check
Rest - Check
Shop only were you want and no where else- that's my kind of shopping
Great food- check
Golf- check
That pretty much makes for a great vacation. Our vacations pretty much run on schedule also. Departure times, beach times, meal times, shopping etc.... basically stays the same every year.

Christmas time is pretty much the time I go into vacation mode also. Don't know what it is about that time of year, but that's when my thoughts start turning to the beach. Thanks for the report.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 pm 

That's a great vacation report if you ask me. It's funny because everyone asks me and Gina why we don't go somewhere new for vacation. We love the fact that when we come to Myrtle we know just where to go, how to get there and get around, where we love to eat, where we love to shop, where we love to hang out at......on and on. It's like our second home. Every year there's a little something new that we like or don't like but it's fun to explore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 pm 

We do alot of the same things too. Creatures of habit. We keep going back to the beach, so that means we love it

We know where everything is mostly, so that means we have more time for relaxation.

We start our day out the same way, a few hrs later than you though, but I guess a routine is good.

Thanks for the report.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14 am 

windyhillgirl wrote:
I can't imagine a summer without the wonderful monotony of watching the waves roll in from sun-up to sun-down; the hushpuppies at Becks; and the wonderful memories every time my toes touch that sand for the first time each year!

Amen to all three! Thanks for the trip report.

Please be sure to write a review for Beck's in the restaurant section. I haven't seen a review posted there, and I'm not qualified to write one since it has been 10 years since we've been there. But I do remember that they had the BEST hushpuppies on Earth.

Scott