Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:17 pm 

I won’t give you a daily recap of our vacation, but instead will give you the highlights. We hadn’t been to MB last year, since we had decided to head to Hawaii for two weeks. This trip was a last minute decision, we weren’t even supposed to take a vacation this summer, but we were tired and missing the beach.

We rented in Oceanside Village so we could bring our dog Pixie. The house was a nightmare. Disgusting carpets, fridge not levelled so there was water everywhere in it, ceiling fans hadn’t been dusted in ages, TV was from the ‘80’s, and worst of all, the smell. It smelled like mold. It was awful. The owner didn’t seem cooperative, asking me what I was “expecting”. I expect clean. That’s it. At some point, they had someone inspect the house, and they saw that all the vents weren’t secured to the ventilation traps, so the smell was coming from the ground. Eww. We found a huge spot of mold in one of the closets, and also under the sink. Never again. Ever. The only good thing this house had was the location. One minute walk from the beach. That is it.

We were there to relax, and that’s what we did. We slept in, went to the beach to catch some good waves, walked around with Pixie, walked on the beach and brought the dog swimming. We dined out, played miniature golf (Jurassic Golf, Runaway Bay and the new Snake Rivers course in Surfside), and visited our MB friends. We also shopped around.

Our restaurant choices this year were : Ryan’s (a classic), Southside Grill, Landshark Grill, Bonefish Grill, PF Chang, Tommy Bahama’s, Anchor Café, Abuelo’s, Burro Loco, Carolina Roadhouse and Ella’s. I reviewed some of those in the appropriate categories.

Our friend lent us her Miata for a day, and we cruised around, and went to Calabash to eat at Ella’s and visit Callahan’s where we hadn’t been before.

It was a quiet vacation, we didn’t do much, but it was exactly what we needed. The weather was gorgeous every day, the water temperature was perfect, and I was very happy to be there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:27 pm 

Annie - I'm glad you and Bruno were able to make it to the beach. Sorry about the house though. It's great to hear all the things people do on vacation, and it's also great to hear about the relaxing trips.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:30 pm 

I am glad you made the best of things and didn't let it ruin you vacation. It is such a downer to pay good money and have reasonable expectations to have a clean rental and be disappointed. Good that the weather co-operated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:42 pm 

Thanks for your trip report! It seems like you had a wonderful time, despite the awful living conditions. Did you rent through the owner directly or did they have someone representing them? Maybe you could complain to the company (if you haven't already). Or, if you rented through VRBO, or another website like that, you could leave a feedback on the guestbook.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Annie, we loved getting together with you and Bruno at Bonefish Grill! I'm sorry my photos sucked. You would NOT want to see them. So glad you had a good time while you were here! Hugs to you both!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:34 pm 

Can you PM me the address of the house you stayed in at Oceanside. We just rented a house for the winter through VRBO, it looked nice, got nice reviews, and the owner seems like a really nice person.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 pm 

There are some decent places in Oceanside Villiage.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 pm 

:nanner: We've rented one for next winter that looks nice (it's fairly new) and the owner has been a gem to work with.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p167092