Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:01 am 

:ac41[1]: :sunny:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:48 am 

Tuesday. Raining in morning. Breakfast in before running out.
Unfinished business at home meant a run to post office.
Then a stop at used book store. Traded in five. Picked up five James Patterson's for $20.....
Then down to Ocean Drive. Possum Trot.
NMB has nice park there with pickleball courts.
Pickleball you ask?
Ping pong paddles the size of racket ball rackets.
Downsized tennis court.
And.....A wiffleball.
Slower than tennis. Faster than badminton.
Just enough activity to get us off couch.
An hour of chasing the ball because we suck at this game.
Back to Maritime and beach.
Less than an hour and wind picked up. Temps dropped. We headed in. As we walked into unit the rain hit balcony like somebody spraying with a hose.
Dinner at River Cities. Still too much rain to stroll Barefoot so we headed in for the night.

Wednesday. Out early. More business. Bank, notary and fax.....
Golden Griddle for breakfast.
Hit the beach around 11:00. Not bad at first but by 2:00 the wind had picked up to miserable level.
She headed in. I stopped at pool to squeeze in what little bit of sun available. Maybe another hour before wind was to "is that palm tree in the ground good?" level.
Lobby here has automatic doors front and rear. If both open at same time the lobby becomes wind tunnel. Talk is big storm due to hit around 5:00.
Met Patrish and Wally for dinner. Wild Wing Cafe. My mistake. Ate there years ago for ribs and ballgame. Always wanted to return. No ribs and menu did seem to be small for a place that size.
Must have been waiters first day on job He knew less about menu than we did.
Enjoyed the time with Patrish and Wally. Will be back in Sept. Won't tell Emmy when.
Back to unit to watch Survivor finale. Show I love to watch and hate.....
Still raining at mid nite...

Sent from my iPhone

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:52 pm 

Someone on social media asked which one of the dang berries came out this week. Said they thought those things was supposed to already be out and the cold spells over.

If it makes you feel any better it's 58 degrees with rain and Gusty winds here in Kentucky and has been gloomy as it could I get all day. Just a bad week in the east for weather I guess. Hope it gets better. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:20 am 

Thursday
Another not so great day. Woke to sunshine.Looked like nice day. Step outside it's still windy and cool.
Breakfast and solo walk up beach. Halfway to Cherry Grove I started to think the wind to my back would be a pain walking back down the beach. It was. Ended up going up to the road and walking back down the sidewalk.
Spent rest of morning watching beach from window. Still so windy the softer sand that's usually chopped up with foot prints and tire tracks was blown smooth by the wind. Couldn't tell where the soft and hard packed sand began or ended.
Some brave souls set up their camps but only a fraction you would normally see at this time.
We decided to head back to park for another session of pickleball.
Lasted five minutes. Wind not as bad but still bad enough ball wasn't going to go where we wanted it to go.
Stopped at Krogers on our way back and bought steaks and charcoal to grill out for dinner.
Beach situation still hadn't improved very much.
Should have made move sooner.
Decided to do the pool but everybody else had same idea. Not an empty seat in the place.
Spent afternoon in room watching from window.
Mid afternoon it got interesting. First time ever I saw one of the large canvas rental umbrellas blowing up the beach. In matter of minutes people were packing and getting off beach. Skies got dark. Temps dropped. Hail storm. Not terrible bad but something you don't usually see.
Poor chair guy. Only living soul on the beach was working throughout the storm trying to collect chairs and umbrellas.
Second umbrella decided to take off. This one went swimming. Floated in surf for awhile. Lifeguards in truck sat and watched until it got tired and came back in. They arrested it and threw it in truck.
Just as quick as it started. It ended and people came back out.
Short walk up beach. Still windy but not quite as bad as it was before.
Fired up charcoal. Steaks, corn on cob and baked tators. $20 and enough left over for another meal.
Music on Main. Live music on Main Street. Walked down and mingled, people watched and enjoyed the music.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 am 

Thursday
Another not so great day. Woke to sunshine.Looked like nice day. Step outside it's still windy and cool.
Breakfast and solo walk up beach. Halfway to Cherry Grove I started to think the wind to my back would be a pain walking back down the beach. It was. Ended up going up to the road and walking back down the sidewalk.
Spent rest of morning watching beach from window. Still so windy the softer sand that's usually chopped up with foot prints and tire tracks was blown smooth by the wind. Couldn't tell where the soft and hard packed sand began or ended.
Some brave souls set up their camps but only a fraction you would normally see at this time.
We decided to head back to park for another session of pickleball.
Lasted five minutes. Wind not as bad but still bad enough ball wasn't going to go where we wanted it to go.
Stopped at Krogers on our way back and bought steaks and charcoal to grill out for dinner.
Beach situation still hadn't improved very much.
Should have made move sooner.
Decided to do the pool but everybody else had same idea. Not an empty seat in the place.
Spent afternoon in room watching from window.
Mid afternoon it got interesting. First time ever I saw one of the large canvas rental umbrellas blowing up the beach. In matter of minutes people were packing and getting off beach. Skies got dark. Temps dropped. Hail storm. Not terrible bad but something you don't usually see.
Poor chair guy. Only living soul on the beach was working throughout the storm trying to collect chairs and umbrellas.
Second umbrella decided to take off. This one went swimming. Floated in surf for awhile. Lifeguards in truck sat and watched until it got tired and came back in. They arrested it and threw it in truck.
Just as quick as it started. It ended and people came back out.
Short walk up beach. Still windy but not quite as bad as it was before.
Fired up charcoal. Steaks, corn on cob and baked tators. $20 and enough left over for another meal.
Music on Main. Live music on Main Street. Walked down and mingled, people watched and enjoyed the music.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am 

Once again...
Sorry...
Phone and crappy wi-fi...
Hit send.
Send, send....
Come on you stupid piece of......SEND!!!!!!!
Ooooooops.....

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:28 pm 

Home on real key board...
Friday.
Already looked like best day of the week. High tide around 8:00am. Walked to Golden Griddle for breakfast.
On the beach by 10;00.
Great day. Out there close to 7 hours. Long walk up to Cherry Grove. Ruann's foot blistered. Last walk for her.
Dinner at Duffy's with a minor wrinkle. Drove up to original location in Cherry Grove. Closed. Panic set in.
No choice but give the Main Street location a try. Never been there knowing it was a storefront decorated to look like a shack. Not the same as the original shack. I have my low standards.
Ton of people waiting. I was ready to go do unthinkable and go elsewhere. Luckily it was group of 14 college kids. We were seated quickly then long wait for service. The noise was terrible. Asked waitress why they weren't playing the blues. They were. Couldn't hear the music over all the other noise.
Food was good but atmosphere just wasn't normal Duffy's experience.
Waitress said other location damaged in hurricane and still being repaired. Scheduled to reopen in few weeks. If not. They've lost a loyal customer.
Back to Maritime. Carried chairs out to beach and watched tide come in.

Saturday. I did short solo walk. Back to unit and she was heading out to walk two miles up to Boulineau's for cigarettes. With shoes her foot is ok.
I went along like a trained puppy because it usually means stop to eat. Atlantis breakfast is right on the route.
The stretch of road between Ocean Drive and Cherry Grove is all houses. No condos or large buildings. Last 10-15 years the houses have grown larger and larger. Mansions on the beach. Don't really appreciate the size, architecture and landscaping unless on foot. Several 'You gotta be kidding me" moments on this walk.
No breakfast at Atlantis. Maybe second chance at Boulineaus deli. Nope. Must have been 30 people in line at their cafeteria style deli. No breakfast for me.
On the walk back we started to realize we were in tourist perfect storm. College kids, high school kids. bike week and holiday weekend. Normally we're heading home on the Saturday before Memorial Day and we miss this mess.
Most days the public access lots are semi full. Maybe a couple people parked in Ocean Blvd median strip. 10:00am all the lots were full and the median strip had cars lined up along both sides.
By the time we hit the beach at 11:00 you had solid line of "camps" along the high tide line. Some camps behind that line in the soft sand. We set up at water's edge twenty feet below high tide. Wasn't long before another row of camps were even with us.
High school kids to the left. Group of thirtysomthings to our right reliving their high school glory days. Footballs. soccer balls, Frisbees, kites, volleyballs....Needed a hardhat to sit here.
Another 6 hour beach day. Enough sun it looks like I spent entire week on the beach.
Empty fridge leftover night for dinner. Carried most of stuff down to truck leaving maybe two bags for morning.

Sunday.
Up for sunrise. First and only one of the week. Not the right season. Didn't come up over the water.
On the road 6:45. In our driveway 2:15.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

I really enjoyed reading your trip review! Still laughing about chairs taking an ocean dive and their subsequent arrest summons. LOL!

Sorry it rained so much. Hopefully you will have better luck in September. So glad we got to see you both. That was fun!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:38 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
Enjoyed the time with Patrish and Wally. Will be back in Sept. Won't tell Emmy when.

Sent from my iPhone

Like I wouldn't find out... :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Actually your trip report was great! I adore hearing words like Cherry Grove, Atlantis breakfast, Golden Griddle, Music on Main etc. Seriously thanks for taking the time to share! You made my day!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 am 

Loved your report! Finally catching up with the message board...too much going on! Thanks!