Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Years - Short Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:23 pm 

Down for a few days - Friday through Monday over New Years. My sister now lives in Myrtle Beach, but the main purpose of the trip was to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday (she resides in an assisted living center in MB due to Alzheimer's). This was our first time staying in a hotel in Myrtle Beach in over 25 years!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites, Kingston Plantation. The room was great, with a nice ocean view. It had a separate bedroom, living area, balcony and mini kitchen with table and chairs. The amenities here are very nice as well - full, custom breakfast including chef made omelets, eggs, and about anything you can imagine on the buffet. There is also a free happy hour nightly. There is an $18 a day resort fee in addition to the room rate. They have an indoor pool and fitness center, volleyball courts, and several outdoor seasonal pools and hot tubs. The only drawback to this resort is the entrance in/out. In the off season it is fine, but in the summer I could see it be a very long wait. There are numerous homes and villas that share the hotel entrance/exit and there is no light.

We did some outlet mall shopping (Stride Rite is going out of business so got 4 pairs of kids shoes for $40, less than what you normally pay for one). Most of the time was eating and hanging out with family. Had a birthday dinner at Lombardo's for mom as it is one of her favorites. The food here is very good. We also watched football at Liberty Tap Room (excellent as always) and had a New Year's Eve dinner at Fire & Smoke (our favorite restaurant in Myrtle Beach).

We did spend some time walking the beach, and it was very quiet. Took a drive to Conway to see the lights. Spent some time at my sister's relaxing on New Year's Day with the traditional black eyed peas, collards and some jambalya. Will be back down in a few months - we come down about every two months. Always interesting to see what's changed from one season to the next.

Can't wait for our next trip - which should be a little longer! Didn't have time this visit to make it to the Marshwalk, one of our favorites.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

>…We stayed at the Embassy Suites
I’ve heard this is a good place for a Myrtle Beach vacation. While I have never stayed there, we have visited a couple times. I really like the area!

>Most of the time was eating and hanging out with family.
That’s the best part about a family vacation!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. That has to be one of the toughest things in life for you.

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I really enjoyed reading it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:26 pm 

Great report, quite a treat for this time of year ! Free happy hour at Embassy Suites is worth taking note of ! :beerchug:

So sorry to hear about your Mom, but glad you are treasuring her while you can still spend the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 pm 

Short trip but quite busy. You sure know how to fit a lot into a short time. Sounded like a nice getaway. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:50 pm 

>,......Always interesting to see what's changed from one season to the next.

That's one of the good things about visiting on a regular basis. It's always sad to see some stuff go, but most of the time other thing move in Is time moves on. One of the reasons I like MB is that I'm familiar enough with the area to navigate around, but it's a popular enough place for people to invest in new things.