Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

The Myrtle Beach Flea Market will be closing on Saturday, Feb. 28 because it has lost its lease, according to a press release. Delaware North Sportservice said in the release that it reviewed its options, including alternative locations but decided that it can no longer manage and operate the flea market.The market has been located off of Kings Highway, just south of Farrow Parkway, for about 20 years.
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story. ... NlrjSdpz6c

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:56 pm 

I hate to hear that they are closing. We normally stop by here every trip, usually once to three times per year. We noticed the last year or two that the flea market has been real bare with a lot of empty spaces.

As long as the Surfside Flea Market stays open, I think we will survive! :lol: It is our favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:55 am 
Site Admin

It will be missed ny a lot of people, including me. I hope something will move in there since I see a lot of empty buildings in that area.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:29 pm 
Forum Support

Well that is a bummer. :cry:

I haven't been to the Flea Market for several years. What was it like besides the empty spaces?

The flea markets I have been to recently in other states have been a lot of cheap dollar store type stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:32 pm 

UPDATE - and very promising news!

I spoke with several of my favorite vendors at the flea market this afternoon, and it looks like only PART of the flea market will actually close. The main section, closest to the road, is the part that lost its lease. The other sections (large rooms) as you move away from the highway, will remain. Many of the vendors will likely simply move over from the first room into those other 3 sections, though they may lose some of their existing booth space at their new location.

The name of the flea market will most certainly change - the proposed name at this time is "Grand Strand Flea Market".

I'm in there rather often, and will continue to update as things further develop...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Mike. That is good news. The building is huge, so maybe if the vendors are grouped closer together it will help business.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:53 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
That is great news, Mike! My husband and I love to visit about once a month. In fact we might go this afternoon.
I hope the Sun News posts an update telling people, because if they don't then the market will lose business because out-of-staters will think it is closed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:31 pm 

ChantalAtTheBeach wrote:
...I hope the Sun News posts an update telling people, because if they don't then the market will lose business because out-of-staters will think it is closed.

I think the local media that has reported the initial story also plans to do updates with 3 themes:

- That the jobs/vendor businesses were saved.
- That they had to shift positions and compact or otherwise modify their vendor spaces.
- Progress and reporting on who the new tenant will be in the former first room.

Apparently there is a fitness center or similar venue projected to move into the building, but it's unclear if they're going into another section of the plaza that has been empty for a while, is going into the former first section of the flea market as its original plan - or if it was PLANNED to be in another part of the plaza but will now go into the displaced flea market section (where it would have more room) instead...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

I talked to the Avon lady today. She is moving Monday to the old shopping center located behind CVS and CiCi’s Pizza, on 707 at the intersection of Farrow Pky and 17.

She says the company who wants to use part of the building (now housing the flea market section she's in) has completed the first phase which was to set up a corporation. She thinks getting the financing and whatever else needs to be done will take some time.

That’s all I know! :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:56 pm 

Mike, that is good news.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 am 
Site Admin

As a follow-up, here's the link to WMBF News about what's coming to the old flea market....

The idea is for the city to take over the 54,000-square-foot space, which was formerly home to the Myrtle Beach Flea Market. The market, now known as the Grand Strand Flea Market, recently scaled down in size in the plaza leaving a big space, up for grabs.

Owner of D3G Architects, David Glymph, said he is proposing to bring in a bowling alley, an arcade, rope climbing, a stage for live entertainment, a restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating, bars, a beer garden and Bocce courts, all at this one location.

Read about it in this WMBF News Release:

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/28693188/ ... rtle-beach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:04 pm 

We visited the Grand Strand Flea Market while we were down this week. We were very disappionted. It has been losing vendors over the last 5+ years, so I knew the downsizing was coming. We were told they were putting a bowling alley with a restaurant and arcade type place in the old part of the flea market. That will be a nice addition for us camers on rainy days.