Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waccamaw Pottery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 pm 

Just saw Mike mention it in the Speedpark post. What is found in that place anymore? I remember as a kid my parents going there and I hated Waccamaw Pottery day. I seem to remember wicker baskets galore. That post just happen to jog my memory and make me wonder if its a place worth visiting for old times sake.

Post subject: Re: Waccamaw Pottery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

The stores all closed. Hard Rock Park was built. It went belly up in 2008 and reopened as Freestyle Music Park which closed in 2009. Some of the rides are still there, but they are all for sale. (The for sale ad said "Used only 2 seasons." ) There was a rumor about some of the stores being renovated, but that was a couple years ago and hasn't happened yet.

Since you really loved the Pottery so much :clown: you will be happy to to know that the former owners opened Old Time Pottery in Surfside Beach and it is doing quite well.
http://www.oldtimepottery.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:06 pm 

I hated the Waccamaw pottery day too. Worst part of my childhood vacations were spent there. :BandHead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:08 pm 

I might just let the wife and mother in law take the girls and enjoy it this year......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:00 pm 

As kids, we were never told when Waccamaw Pottery Day would be. We would go out to dinner and then entertainment. Could be the Pavilion one night, could be miniature golf, or it could be that dreaded long night shopping. We'd never know until we passed over the Intracoastal Waterway... then we knew.

So funny to hear others talk about it. When Misti and I first got married, I took here shopping there and she loved it! Now I'm disappointed that it is closed.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

The shops were still open when we moved here. Remember that little trolley that took you to each of the 3-malls-within-a-mall? But then we started hearing about the Tanger Mall planning to open nearby. I knew the manager at the Waccamaw Pottery Shops (long story) and she totally understood what was about to happen. She applied for a job out of state, and I lost track of her. Many of the stores moved to Tanger, but several hung on at the old location as long as they could. It was a sad situation since even the ones who moved were uncertain of their store's future.

But the Waccamaw outlet stores had a long and successful history, and a lot of people still remember them today.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 pm 

I have mentioned on the board before how my brother and I HATED the Waccamaw trip. I can remember that we usually both got our butts busted for being such brats. It was worth it thought just to get to leave :lol: Really funny that others have such fond memories of the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:09 am 

We as kids also despised pottery day there were so many fun things to do and going to the pottery was not it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:33 am 

I never got to experience Waccamaw Pottery but we used to vacation in Virginia Beach when I was just a young pup. On our way to the beach, we'd stop at the Williamsburg Pottery. I'm assuming that it's nearly the same thing. My brother and I hated this damn place and my parents wanted to spend the whole day (couple hours in reality) there. To this day, the mere mention of the word "pottery" makes me grind my teeth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:36 am 

No kid likes shopping unless it's the toy store.

My 1st venture at Waccamaw Pottery was back in 79 and I liked it, of course I was what 26 or so at the time. It had everything and so many unique things at the best prices. We would go there every couple of months and buy/find something we needed. This was long before all the other stores/mall 1-3 opened on the property.

I have traveled to a lot of places over the years and can't say I recall another store quite like it.

And back in the day, I think most families who came to the beach, stopped here, it was a part of the Myrtle Beach experience.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:59 pm 

The teacher store has always been my children's "please MOM, don't make us go there on vacation" store. I get giddy just thinking about it!! :hello:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:37 am 
Site Admin

LOL...the teacher store is actually on the "must do" list of many teachers who come to the beach. I never thought about how kids would feel, but it probably reminds them of being in school...something they don't want to think about when they're at the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:16 am 

I remember the dreaded trips to Waccamaw Pottery of my childhood. My mom & aunt would drag my sister, cousin and I there for what seemed like hours looking at baskets. Baskets! We couldn't understand the need for every size basket and our dads couldn't understand either as they had to pack the car for the trip home with baskets! I can still close my eyes and smell the fragrance of it!
Like a previous poster, we were never forewarned. It was a mean little surprise of vacation but given the chance, I would go now as an adult.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:58 am 

4ever in Flip Flops wrote:
I can still close my eyes and smell the fragrance of it!

That is so funny. When I saw that the post popped back up today, the first thing that come to my mind was the unique smell of the place. Then to see that you had mentioned it is too funny. I hated the place and even now, I'm glad the place is closed. Only thing I hate is that since the failed HRP closed, that area is an eyesore now. It was an area that was a must visit for many families during my childhood, and it's kind of sad to see nothing there now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:29 pm 

It does look like a sad little ghost town of children's vacation memories.