Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:57 am 
Site Admin

A new Target will be coming to Horry County and work is under way to clear land for the roads that will lead to the store and the development planned nearby.

SayeBrook, the roughly 700-acre development near U.S. 17 Bypass and S.C. 544, will be somewhat like The Market Common because it will have a mix of uses - ranging from commercial to single-family houses - and has space for live-work units, said Carol Coleman, Horry County's planning deputy director.

"You are going to have kind of the same effect," Coleman said. "You are going to have a mix of uses."

he road that is being extended, Sayebrook Parkway, will eventually connect to Palmetto Pointe Boulevard.

The developer of the project, The Jackson Cos., could not be reached for comment this week.

The company is in discussions with the code enforcement department on the procedure for submitting construction plans and getting permits, said David Schwerd, a principal planner for Horry County.

Target Corp. bought a piece of the development on April 8 for $3.25 million, according to Horry County records.

Target does not share information about new store openings more than a year in advance, said Sarah Van Nevel, a spokeswoman for Target. There are no S.C. locations slated to open in 2011, she said.

The Target will include a produce section and be about 135,000 square feet, about the size of the new Wal-Mart on U.S. 501, Schwerd said.

Target will anchor the shopping center, which also has space allotted for additional stores, according to plans filed with Horry County.

Target still has to get special approval from the zoning board of appeals for tree mitigation, Schwerd said. There is no way to replace the trees that need to be removed on the Target site, so they are proposing to plant them in the Sayebrook planned development district instead.

Some residents are excited about the new Target, which they said will be more convenient and add shopping options in a growing area.

Tom Ghinis, who lives in the area, drives to Myrtle Beach to go to Target once every week or two and having a closer store will be more convenient, he said.

"It's better for the consumer the more options there are," he said. "It's a great thing."

The project and new stores will also create much needed jobs in the county, Ghinis said.

"I think it will only help the area," he said.

obert Fennelly, who lives up S.C. 544, said that the development is a good idea and he will likely shop at the new Target.

"I've always thought 544 would be all built up eventually," he said. "It just has to happen."

Susan Gwozdz, a manager at Atlanta Bread Co., which is near the Sayebrook development, said the new stores and homes will be good for business.

While there is a lot of traffic in the area, not that many passers-by stop, but with the addition of the Target more potential customers may come to the restaurant, Gwozdz said.

"I think it's going to be fantastic," she said. "I think it's going to bring more people down this way."

Source: The Sun News
http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/05/14/21 ... arget.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:13 pm 

The article makes a reference to a new walmart on 501. I know of the walmart at Seaboard and 501 where the golden corral is. I thought this was an old store and kind of run down. Is this the new store or is there a newer location?

Thanks

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:11 pm 

There is a new one on 501 out past Tanger Outlets on the left side
maybe 2 miles past outlets...opened in 2010 march time frame..

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:20 pm 

thanks. that's what I get for flying in, I miss what's on 501. only went out as far as tanger and bob evans

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:53 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
word on the street says it will be a supertarget!