Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Myrtle’s Market To Open April 13 In Myrtle Beach

Myrtle’s Market reopens for the year on Wednesday, April 13, with a new manager and a new vision. Longtime local farmer Johnny Graham is taking over the market’s operation and wants to see it grow and prosper.

“My focus is on keeping our customers happy. If they leave with a smile,” Graham said, “they’re gonna come back.”

Regular vendors returning to Myrtle’s Market this spring include Indigo Farms, Dogwood Farms and Tyler Farms. In addition to these customer favorites, Graham has plans to offer regular entertainment and invite church groups and nonprofit organizations to set up a free space.

The farmers’ market even has a new web page, www.myrtlesmarket.com, and a Facebook page. “We’re already into the next generation of technology,” Graham said. “We’ll also accept EBT and credit cards this year, but that will be optional for the vendors,” he added.

Graham also wants to make Myrtle’s Market a year-round affair. “There’s so many crops that grow in the winter that farmers won’t plant because they don’t have anywhere to sell them. People still eat in the winter,” he noted.

Myrtle’s Market is on Mr. Joe White Avenue at North Oak Street, giving residents and visitors a handy place to go for locally-grown fruits and vegetables. Free public parking is readily available.

Beginning April 13, the market will be open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. If the Myrtle Beach City Council agrees, Graham hopes to extend those hours to 5 p.m.

“I’m not doing this for the money,” Graham says. “I’m doing this for the community. If you get the community involved, the money will come.”

A third generation farmer, Graham has farmed all his life, even while working for McDonald’s for 18 years. He said he left fast food to farm fulltime, because “I decided that produce was my passion, and that’s where I’m going.”

Graham is excited by his new role as market manager and looking toward a bright future. “I’ve talked to a lot of people about the market reopening,” he said. “I can’t wait until the 13th!”

Additional vendors are welcome. Contact Johnny Graham at 843-997-1716 to learn more about Myrtle’s Market.

Souce: Alternatives News Magazine
http://myrtlebeachalternatives.com/?p=2429

Myrtle's Market web site (coming soon)
http://www.myrtlesmarket.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:27 pm 

we went opening day had alot of vendors all ready there and the
fresh produce was great. also had a barbecue set up to get a
meal while you browsed and music as well very nice place
to go....be extra nice when all the local grown produce is
ready to pick :wav:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 am 

Sounds great, can't wait !

Quote:
“We’ll also accept EBT and credit cards this year, but that will be optional for the vendors,”

Quick suggestion... if possible, pay these folks by cash. Credit cards charge the seller a % fee on every transaction, and it really adds up. I'm pretty sure they operate on slim profit margins and hate to see small farmers hit with such fees.... Thanks !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:08 pm 

Great suggestion Kirk about cash. I am in a similar situation at a big trade fair/flea market. I sell new items beginning at $1.00 up to $100.00 and more. People will pick up a $2.00 item and want to use a credit card. Since I process so few my service charge is .75 per transaction plus 3%. There goes any profit plus some. Technically you are not suppose to set a dollar amount on the amount of a credit card purchase. People should just use common sense. I have a lot of younger friends who carry no cash. Drives me wild!!