Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nascar Stores?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:43 pm 

Is the Nascar store still at Broadway at the beach?

Also there was a Nascar store in a stripmall on Kings Hwy I think.

Are these places still there? Since I don't remember the names, searching online is rough.

Post subject: Re: Nascar Stores?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Hope this helps!

Nascar Speedpark store:
1820 21st Avenue North Extension
http://www.nascarspeedpark.com/shop_sc.aspx

Darlington Raceway may be out of your way, but they have a museum there:

>... the rear of the building visitors can find the National Motorsports Press Association (NMPA) Hall of Fame, filled with photos, memorabilia and interactive exhibits showcasing the sport of NASCAR racing and the personalities who have inhabited it over the years. Alan Kulwicki; David Pearson; Junior Johnson. Lee and Richard Petty. Neil Bonnett......

http://tinyurl.com/2d5g73r

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 am 

Thanks Patrish! I'll have to see how far Darlington is off the path for us, sounds like a nice place though. We are stopping in Indianapolis on the way down on Saturday so we might not make it as far as we would like. But will look into stopping on Sunday if we have time.

We like the history of Nascar and the older memorabilia. The speedpark probably has just new stuff, but wouldn't hurt to run in and check

Thanks again! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:22 pm 

If you're heading down I-77 - its definitely worth a stop in Mooresville, NC and Charlotte! You can check out the race shops in Mooresville, Concord and Huntersville and the new Hall of Fame in Charlotte. There is also the NC Motorsports HofF in Mooresville, NC. If you want more info, I've been down there tons - would love to help ya out!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:17 am 

We are going to try to hit-up Charlotte/Mooresville area on the way home. We won't have much time though, maybe a day depending when we leave MB on Thursday. I haven't been to the area since August 2001, so its been a long while.

What are your must stops or your favorites?

Any special places to eat?

What about Nascar/Racing stores to shop?

Is the NHOF really worth it? I was thinking about checking out the new Memory Lane or going to the North Carolina HOF in Mooresville.

Can you see the Penske Indycar stuff?
Ever been to any of the NHRA shops?

Probably will check out Roush and Ganassi for sure. Nothing else is set in stone.

Thanks for your help! I am really lost, so much to do so little time!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:23 am 

Over the last few years we have visited several of the race shops including DEI (not much to see here), Roush, Gibbs and Waltrip's (best of the bunch). Also in June we went to the HOF in Charlotte. Well worth the time and money. So much to see and do. Lots of hands-on stuff. We plan to go back. If you have the time, a stop at Charlotte Motor Speedway is well worth it. For $5 they will take you on a track tour and for $105 (I think) you can have a ride in a real car (3 laps at 165 MPH). My husband and grandson thought it was money well-spent!

Vicki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:58 pm 

Thanks Kitty. Will add MWR to our list. I'll think about going to NHOF, if I feel we have enough time. Don't want to feel rushed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 pm 

beachdreaming wrote:
We are going to try to hit-up Charlotte/Mooresville area on the way home. We won't have much time though, maybe a day depending when we leave MB on Thursday. I haven't been to the area since August 2001, so its been a long while.

What are your must stops or your favorites?
Definitely Penske - you can see the IRL stuff, too. They have a 300 foot catwalk overlooking the shop that is incredible! I also like Joe Gibbs and Stewart/Haas - they have the best viewing windows.

Any special places to eat?
Lancasters BBQ in Mooresville! Lots of the teams/owners eat there during the week, too. Its a neat NASCAR themed bbq joint, pretty good food - ask to sit on the bus, its cool!

What about Nascar/Racing stores to shop?
All of the team shops have their own gift shop. The NCHofF also has a small shop - sometimes you can guy sheetmetal or lugnuts there

Is the NHOF really worth it? I was thinking about checking out the new Memory Lane or going to the North Carolina HOF in Mooresville.
Haven't been to the HofF...but the NCHofF in Mooresville is pretty neat, small but lots of history
Can you see the Penske Indycar stuff?Yep!
Ever been to any of the NHRA shops?No, I haven't

Probably will check out Roush and Ganassi for sure. Nothing else is set in stone.

Thanks for your help! I am really lost, so much to do so little time!

I'd really skip Waltrip Racing if you're short on time. Mikey did put together a really cool shop thats interactive with the fans, but it costs like $15 to tour. You can tour all the other shops and see basically the same stuff for free. I'd recommend Penske, Stewart/Haas and Joe Gibbs besides Roush and Ganassi if you've got time. Roush and Ganassi are really close together, around one corner is CMS and Hendrick and around the corner the other way is Stewart/Haas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:31 am 

:nanner: Thanks for the very helpful information! :nanner:

Tomorrow is the big day! :wav:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:56 pm 

beachdreaming wrote:
Is the Nascar store still at Broadway at the beach?

Also there was a Nascar store in a stripmall on Kings Hwy I think.

Are these places still there? Since I don't remember the names, searching online is rough.

The NASCAR store in the strip mall along Kings Highway was named "Renegades of Racing". It obviously closed within the last year or 2.

There were several NASCAR stores in each local mall named "The Fifth Turn" or "The Fifth Curve" - they all closed several years ago.

NASCAR Cafe (later, "NASCAR Sports Grille") of course closed about 2 years ago; they had a nice gift shop.

So what IS available?:

- NASCAR Speedpark (along Bypass Rt17 at 21st Ave North beside the former NASCAR Cafe building) has a small gift shop; I was just there yesterday (Sunday) looking for gift ideas for my mother. Their items are rather limited; mostly tshirts, jackets, and some novelty items and collector cars.

- There is a NASCAR shop in the middle of the Inlet Square Mall in Murrells Inlet, about halfway between the food court and KMart. He has a nice medium-sized store, and always seems to have a good supply of NASCAR items - including some rather unique items I rarely have seen elsewhere. Quite reasonable prices and a really nice guy to deal with. I've picked up several Christmas and birthday items for my mother there over the last 3 years.

- I'm not sure about the NASCAR store at Broadway at the Beach - but I'll probably be over that way some time later this week to check and also find any other stores still selling NASCAR items in the greater Myrtle Beach area...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:32 pm 

UPDATE:

I went (twice) into the NASCAR store in the Inlet Square Mall today; bought a few items each time (had to call my mother to find out if she already had certain things before going back...).

The store name is: Collect This & Raceway
10125 Highway 17 Bypass (Inlet Square Mall)
Murrells Inlet, SC 29576

Email address: rlkracing8@yahoo.com
Phone: (843) 651-5365
eBay Seller/User ID: rlkteamracing8

Also, Broadway at the Beach's website directory shows listings for "Sports Heroes" and "Sports Fanatics". I will probably go there sometime this weekend, check on the status of each store, and post another update afterward.