Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:34 am 

Looks like someone asked this question last year but there were no replies. We'll be staying at Wyndham Ocean Blvd. There's a Harris-Teeter not too far away, and we've always liked shopping there whenever we were in Virginia Beach. I've seen Piggly-Wiggly mentioned several times on these boards (and Walmart of course). But, just wondering, where do the locals (the people in the know!) shop for their groceries?

Also, fresh fruits and vegetables? Any good groceries or Farmer's Market that you'd recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:01 am 

My mother is a loyal Walmart shopper, so no help for you there! Food Lion is generally known to be the cheapest of the non-big box store. I'd say Kroger and Piggly Wiggly are mid-range, and Harris Teeter is on the high end (I didn't know there were still HTs in MB!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:55 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
I shop the sales... so depending on who has what is where I shop. I probably go to Lowe's food most..#1 because it is across the street and # 2 because they are really nice. then bi lo because the have great buy one get one sales.then food lion...then the pig but i find they are pretty high so i only go there for a couple things we like that noone else has.
I also go to Sams at least once a week but rarely to Walmart...maybe three times since I have been here.
I also hit big lots and target every so often. What can I say..I like to shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:25 pm 

Usually shop at Food Lion due to the location and it not being crowded. I went to Walmart on a Saturday night ONCE, did I ONCE!! Never again, way too many people. I can pay the little extra for the ease of shopping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:50 pm 

Nobody likes Harris Teeter, I guess. I think we liked it in Va Beach because it always had the freshest fruits & vegetables - since we're not from that area we didn't really get to compare prices.

If anyone is interested, Central New York is Wegman's country. They're not the cheapest, but they do tons of stuff for the community and they have nice clean stores. They're rated as one of the top companies in the US to work for.

We also sometimes drive 25 miles to Syracuse to shop at Price Chopper. We grew up with Price Chopper in the Albany area, and right now they have a promotion: for every $50 you spend you get 10 cents off a gallon of gas at Sunoco stations. We shopped once ($150) so we filled up and saved 30 cents per gallon. I talked to an employee who probably uses her personal shopper's card whenever someone doesn't use one - she told me she just got $1.50 off per gallon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 am 

If you are very polite and ask the cashier nicely when you check out... They will sometimes have a "community price card" that they will swipe for you saving you tons of money... The people at Kroger's in Garden City have done this for us numerous times....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:39 am 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
[quote="kicker"]Nobody likes Harris Teeter, I guess. [quote]

I love Harris Tetter but I dont think any exist here any more...at least not on my end.

Post subject: Old Info
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:57 pm 

I got an address for Harris-Teeter off the internet, map-quested it and found it was only 6 miles or so from our room. Apparently that was an old address - Harris-Teeter's own site doesn't list anything within 50 miles. I'm surprised to hear they left the area - their stores seem nice. No offense to anyone, but I've never been in a Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly that came close to Harris-Teeter. Then again, my sampling's not very big - I shall trust the judgments on here and shop accordingly. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:00 pm 

North on Ocean Blvd out of Wyndham. First stoplight is Main Street. Out Main Street towards Rt 17. Before Rt 17 there should be a Kroger's on your left and Bi-Lo on your right.

North on Rt 17. Few blocks is a WalMart. Few more blocks should be a Food Lion/CVS Pharmacy.

South on Rt 17 to Windy Hill Section. Couple miles. New Bi-Lo behind the NMB Harley shop.

Back on Ocean Blvd. At Main Street stoplight. Continue north on Ocean Blvd. Mile and a half to next stoplight. Should be Boulineau's IGA on the corner. Prices a hair higher but produce and meats very fresh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 am 

pop2748: those directions will be a great help. Sounds like we'll hit Kroger and Bi-Lo - easy to compare since they're so close to each other. I really did like like Harris-Teeter though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 am 

We're not MB Locals, but we like to dream of being them on the internet... :nanner:

Jan really enjoys the Lowe's foods up near the Business 17/Local 17 route split in northern MB..

970 Cipriana Drive
Myrtle Beach, SC 29572

Also a location near Wicked Stick golf course near Surfside (haven't been to this location):

1399 South Commons Drive
Myrtle Beach, SC 29588