Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:22 am 

The story can be found here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/0 ... evard.html

I for one think it's a great idea to close Ocean Blvd in the evenings though not from Easter until Labor Day. I think it should be done from the start of the first Bike Week in May until Labor Day. The complaints from city council and area business owners are meritless. It in no way will negatively affect business. In fact, it'll increase pedestrian traffic which are the folks spending money. People driving through are not spending money. When we head downtown, we park and walk. But, we do it before 6PM as after that, it's too dangerous to be crossing the street.

Anyone else have thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:38 pm 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Qu├ębec
I totally agree with you. I think it would be a great idea!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:47 pm 

I would think maybe a Thur-Sat thing would be better. That is a long stretch of time to shut down the whole route. I might would go downtown if they did that. Louisville has a Fourth Street (live) that is pretty nice, but the turnover in businesses is high. Totally different destination though since MB has many more tourists, which would be more likely to spend money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:58 pm 

I just don't see how this could possibly work. Kings Hwy. would become total gridlock in the area where the Ocean Blvd traffic gets forced onto it. Parking and walking works at Broadway because the parking is close and FREE. I just don't see a huge new group of people flocking to that area with the current parking choices. How would the city handle access for emergency vehicles? What if there was a fire or emergency at Gay Dolphin or anywhere else on that strip? Also, for better or worse, this would also put an end to cruising as it has always been on Ocean Blvd. They really need to think about this before they act.