Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shelling N vs Mid vs S
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 am 

Ok..my hubby insists that he found better shells when we stayed at Crown Reef...years ago, than we did when we stayed at Dayton House and then up further at Monterey Bay. Do others find this to be true? We are thinking of staying at Sea Watch this year, the furthest north we've ever stayed.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:55 am 

Lisa, we stay in North Myrtle every year so I can't compare but I will say the shells seems to be scarce in North Myrtle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:13 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
We find a pretty good amount of beautiful intact shells (and starfish, and sand dollars, etc) on the South End. We go to Huntington Beach, the public access at Pawleys and occasionallly Garden City. I will admit we find much more off season and the best ones are right after storms. Sea glass is my new favorite thing to look for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:38 pm 

Lisa,

We used to stay exclusively on the South end (Springmaid Beach, Crown Reef, Grand Strand Inn Beachfront, etc.) and can honestly say that we found more shells (but not by much) than in the Monterey Bay area, but we have found more sharks teeth in the Monterey Bay area than we did on the South end.

I must agree with Laura that we found larger and more intact shells at Huntington Beach than anywhere else although we haven't been on the beach at Pawleys Island... just to the shops! :lol:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 am 

Laura wrote:
We find a pretty good amount of beautiful intact shells (and starfish, and sand dollars, etc) on the South End. We go to Huntington Beach, the public access at Pawleys and occasionallly Garden City. I will admit we find much more off season and the best ones are right after storms. Sea glass is my new favorite thing to look for.

Laura - can I ask where you're finding sea glass? I have wanted to find some for years! I've looked around when we've been down there. And have walked along some beaches up here in MI - esp in the UP...but have never found any. I just love how it looks and it would be awesome to find some down there when we come in May!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:04 pm 

I've found sea glass before at MB...didn't know at the time that it was an collectible...just thought, oh, here's glass that's been made nice and shiny by the ocean! See what happens...I didn't even know what I had! LOL We find more things like good shells, sharks teeth, glass, coral, etc closer to piers..that's just been our experience.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:10 pm 

I haven't found sea glass in MB, but have a jar full of them I collected through the years with my grandmother in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It would be nice to find one from MB. I am dying to find something other than shells in MB! But still haven't! I want to find a shark tooth for sure, then a sand dollar and/or star fish would be fantastic!

I found that last year we found more shells than any other year... including different kinds of shells we hadn't seen before in the past years. Maybe this year will be our lucky year! :dontknow:

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:51 pm 

We went three years ago and stayed at the Palms which I think is in Central MB, My dad found 46 shark teeth in one week and I didn't find any! His back was so burnt from bending over looking for teeth the whole time!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:18 am 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
It took me about six months to find my first piece of sea glass but now I find it pretty often. I have found quite a bit near rocks on the Southern End but mostly I find it in the winter months.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 am 

I was reading in the Stay 'n Play that the top shelling is just North of Cherry Grove Pier down through Shore Drive area, which seems interesting considering I've only heard about the good shelling in the southern strand.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994