Post subject: Re: MB passes tent ban
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Here are 2 photos of signs that the MB State Park has taped to their door:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:07 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
Seems pretty clear to me! I guess some people cannot read, or think they are above the rules. :BandHead:
Ed and I saw a few sport-brellas and two tents on the beach, over the weekend and yesterday.

Post subject: MB passes tent ban
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:40 am 

Now that summer vacation season is here, does anyone have any comments on how things are going so far regarding the tent ban?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:19 am 
Site Admin

It seems to be working well at Myrtle Beach State Park and I haven't heard anyone complain. It sure makes the beach
seem wider and makes my walk up to Springmaid Pier easier. The other day somebody started to put up a canopy-style
tent and the lifeguard was right there, apparently telling him it's a no-no.

On the other hand a few days earlier I was at Huntington Beach State Park. Here I saw dogs running free and canopy-style tents.
HBSP is in Georgetown County and apparently they set their own rules and regulations which I guess they enforce or don't enforce. :dontknow:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 am 

The Cherry Grove area of NMB was tent free last week and honestly there was a lot more room to spread out. Everyone had an umbrella or two and seemed fine...no complaints at all!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:22 am 

Been here about a week and I think its wonderful much better on the beach!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:24 am 

I was in a number of resorts yesterday afternoon from Sea Watch to the north to Springmaid in the south, the tide was still coming in and it was going to be high, not a lot of beach left. It looked good to see the beach without all those canopies :)

In Garden City, my beach, it is nice not having them, last year there were quite a few being used by locals and they were not abiding by the 10' rule, they were grouping them one right after the other.

I have seen a number of groups that use to be on the beach, are now setting up just south over the County line where they can still set up camp.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:04 am 

We were there same week as Emmy. I agree it was much more enjoyable.
There were long lines of umbrellas at high tide mark but they didn't take up half the space of canopies.
In front of our building you could probably count 30-50 umbrellas but seldom ever saw more than a few of them occupied. Watched two women set theirs up everyday. Sat in chairs in the sun or laid out on towels. Never understood why they bothered with the umbrella.
Saw one canopy go up during Ocean Drive walk but few minutes later it was gone. Couple Sportsbrellas were used but didn't seem to be big deal having them removed. Most Sportsbrellas were used as umbrellas. Some with flaps tied up. Some hanging down for extra shade.
Some families put up multiple umbrellas in clusters of 3-4. Still not as bad as a single canopy.
The people who really depended on shade seemed to better off with umbrellas. Two couples from our building. Kept their umbrellas low to ground. Moved the angle as the sun moved. They were covered all day.
Steady breeze all week. Couple times strong enough we had to put weight on boogie boards to hold them in place. Saw chairs flip over in the wind but didn't see a single umbrella break lose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:39 am 

I have to say that I am disappointed in this decision. We have been staying in MB for over 20 years with a large group and the pop up canopies are the perfect shade solution, particularly for families with small children. We literally just bought a new pop up canopy for our trip in August! The price to rent umbrellas from the lifeguard is way too much. I dont see what the problem with the pop ups are, if they are placed at the very back of the beach.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 am 

This is an example of why the ban was needed:

Atalaya Towers has a rock wall in front of the property, this weekend at high
tide there was about 18' of beach before the wall, so if you have a 10x10' canopy
there and chairs out in front, that left about 6' of sand, not much room for others.

On a walk going south, (into G-town County) there were quite a few, although spread out, canopies set up, saw one set up with about 15 chairs set up outside and absolutely nothing under it, not even the coolers, they were next to people in the chairs.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:35 pm 

We stayed at Breakers this week. I also enjoyed the beach without the canopies.

There were a few families who had creatively configured their umbrellas together to make a larger shady area.

I did notice one small circular tent that was set up in front of our building. The lifeguard, the beach patrol truck and the police truck all passed by the tent at various times and evidently no one told them to take it down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 am 

Came back yesterday and here is some observations that I made up in North Myrtle Beach.

1. A row of rental umbrellas was set up early morning like usual.
2. The lifeguard would put his or her chair at the high tide line where they thought it would come up to.
3. Plenty of umbrellas were set up in front of the rentals and plenty of space behind and in front. No umbrellas in front of the lifeguards chair.
4. Did not see one tent set up, but saw several in the back of SUV's and pick-ups that people brought with them and found out they could not set up.
5. I must say the overall beach experience was nice and easy to get around without tents sitting side by side.
6. One or more umbrellas set up together provided as much shade or more than a tent did IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:16 pm 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
Toes in the Sand wrote:
We stayed at Breakers this week. I also enjoyed the beach without the canopies.

There were a few families who had creatively configured their umbrellas together to make a larger shady area.

I did notice one small circular tent that was set up in front of our building. The lifeguard, the beach patrol truck and the police truck all passed by the tent at various times and evidently no one told them to take it down.

That's too bad! I find that a bunch of umbrellas cluttered together are even more cumbersome than a tent.