Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:34 pm 

Hi Everyone! Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has been in MB during the winter months (Jan/Feb) and would love to know your experiences...weatherwise, activities...snowbird or otherwise, golf, any other activities you might have gotten into. Looking forward to our first extended trip and would love some info.

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 am 

Diane, my husbnd and I used to own a business that allowed us to travel extensively from November through April. We were often in Myrtle Beach during January or February. The weather can be variable, so pack shorts and long pants, jackets and coats. One morning in February we woke to snow flurries! They coated the ground but quickly melted away. You definitely won't be doing any outdoor swimming, but often the sun is quite warm so you can enjoy outdoor activities. The ocean breeze can be brisk at times.

Most shows close down after the Christmas season and reopen in mid February, but there are still plenty of things to do. Many tours are open and are much less crowded. We enjoyed Brookgreen Gardens, even though the beautiful flowers weren't blooming. We also did the Carolina Jeep Safari Tour and learned a lot about the area. You can still visit the inside attractions and the Waccattee Zoo is a nice place to spend an afternoon.

I think you'll enjoy that time of year. We always did.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:59 am 

Hi Dawne - Thanks for your reply. With so many people looking at this forum and no responses, I gathered that most if not all go when it's definitely warmer, but, hey!, we need to be a little different. We are so much looking forwward to this trip. We have exchanged our Firebird townhouse for a two bedroom/two bathroom condo on the beach (Blue Water Resort). From the pictures, it looks great and we know we'll enjoy it more than being two blocks off the water.

We are both avid bowlers and Bob will be taking up golf (we just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary)...I'm buying him clubs and shoes and we will both be taking lessons and getting out to golf. We decided to stay in Myrtle Beach because there's so much to do, and we know we certainly won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the leads on various places to visit. We will also look into shows as we both love theater, live and movies, other types of shows, etc. Since this is our first time there, we'll also be travelling around to visit different areas of the state. So exciting!

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi, Diane. Here's a link to the average temperatures in our area.
http://www.funbeaches.com/average-water ... ature.html

As you can see from the figures, January and February are not stellar months for warm weather. However, it's a great time to find 2 for 1 restaurant ads in the paper (and go without the summer crowds) see shows (they're ALL good) take advantage of great sales at the outlet stores, and walk an uncrowded beach when it warms up in the afternoons.

Here's a link of Things to Do. Remember that some of the items listed are seasonal and may not be open.
http://www.funbeaches.com/to_do.html

A day trip to Charleston is always fun, especially if you have never been before:
http://www.funbeaches.com/charleston.html

Congratulations on your Anniversary!
:party[1]:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:27 pm 

Hi patrish - Surprised not to hear from very many people...supposed snowbirds are not "into it" right now so appreciate feedback when it's available.

Today, here in Canada where I live the temperature is about 58 F....probably what it will be in January on average. It is a beautiful sunny day and we are really enjoying our fall here. So, on that note, we do very much look forward to what will be for us warmer weather in MB at that time of year.

We have been to Savannah, GA, Wilmington, NC, as well as Florida (not too many of us Canadians haven't been! especially those who have kids) but we look forward to visiting Charleston and all the wonderful places in your area. Also will be visiting friends near Orlando Fla. on this trip.

I have put a binder put together with attactions, restaurants, activities while we're there. I think my husband is a little nervous about getting "cabin fever" since he has still been working full-time and I'm pulling him away from THAT "retirement hobby" and forcefully persuading him to take up golf and pure relaxation for three months. I for one know there will be lots to do even at that time of the year. So much looking forward to the change.

Thanks so much for your input.

Diane