Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:46 pm 

wow I see alot of posts I could respond to but there are so many.
I made this slideshow of myrtle Beach history from a rather large postcard and image collection. I have tried to keep them in order the best I could with info on hand and memory. :notworthy:
Alot of the places people have mentioned are in this slideshow. I have another dedicated to the Pavilion itself.
I hope you all enjoy it its titled Myrtle Beach history 1905-2005. You can go to youtube.com and search for cathooker2 if you don't want to use the link. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrIuipa3zAs

Last edited by cathooker2 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: MB Postcard Slideshow
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:26 am 

Great job! So very nostalgic. I had no idea of what "used to be." Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:48 am 

I have over 1200 postcard images of the grand strand on file. If anyone of you have a motel or old attraction you want to see just ask.
I may have a photo of it.
This is one of my favorites as a child The Bumper Cars.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/ ... ate50s.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:22 am 

pitsypits wrote:
Great job! So very nostalgic. I had no idea of what "used to be." Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you glad you liked it. I'm working on another one featuring all the old mom and pop hotels when I have the time. :whip2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:08 am 

that is very amazing.... thank you and god bless you for taking the time to do that..... just incredible to see the way MB changed over the years....

take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:18 am 

beachbum4u07 wrote:
that is very amazing.... thank you and god bless you for taking the time to do that..... just incredible to see the way MB changed over the years....

take care

I love my town :nanner: I also enjoy South Carolina history.
Here's another slideshow I made about the Ocean Forest Hotel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WlBM6Vwgw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:00 pm 

I loved the slideshow...thank so much for posting that. I was amazed to see the shot of Serpent City...I remember going there once as a kid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:56 pm 

cathooker2 wrote:
wow I see alot of posts I could respond to but there are so many.
I made this slideshow of myrtle Beach history from a rather large postcard and image collection. I have tried to keep them in order the best I could with info on hand and memory. :notworthy:
Alot of the places people have mentioned are in this slideshow. I have another dedicated to the Pavilion itself.
I hope you all enjoy it its titled Myrtle Beach history 1905-2005. You can go to youtube.com and search for cathooker2 if you don't want to use the link. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrIuipa3zAs

Thats really a great slideshow!

There's a couple of minor things with it-- you have one picture of a girl standing on the beach, and another with her sitting with a guy by a hot-dog stand. I have that original picture, and its not Myrtle Beach SC- its actually from the "Myrtle Beach" section of Milford, Connecticut. I think its from the 1910s-1920s.

I'm still not sure when Jungle Land was in operation, but I think it was probably in the 1930s-1940s or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:20 pm 

I was wondering about that I have several that say MB milford conn. This one just said MB 1913 I think. Its a good picture.
Thanks for letting me know :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:00 pm 

cathooker2 wrote:
I was wondering about that I have several that say MB milford conn. This one just said MB 1913 I think. Its a good picture.

On the back of the picture, it does say "Myrtle Beach, CT". Its a great period picture, though.

The reason that I think that Jungle Land was back in the much earlier past, is that I can't find anything at all about it in any of my materials dating back to the 1950s and 1960s, plus the only postcards for it are all linen type, which dates it to that period. Susan McMillan thinks that it was somewhere in the Restaurant Row area.

I can't help but wonder how many great pictures are sitting out there in people's old photo albums, that will never see the light of day again. I wonder what will happen to current attractions, now that postcards have been almost totally replaced by email? I'm glad that technology wasn't around back then, or we would have almost no record of so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:32 pm 

cathooker2 wrote:

On the back of the picture, it does say "Myrtle Beach, CT". Its a great period picture, though.

The reason that I think that Jungle Land was back in the much earlier past, is that I can't find anything at all about it in any of my materials dating back to the 1950s and 1960s, plus the only postcards for it are all linen type, which dates it to that period. Susan McMillan thinks that it was somewhere in the Restaurant Row area.

I can't help but wonder how many great pictures are sitting out there in people's old photo albums, that will never see the light of day again. I wonder what will happen to current attractions, now that postcards have been almost totally replaced by email? I'm glad that technology wasn't around back then, or we would have almost no record of so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:11 pm 

htomc wrote:
cathooker2 wrote:

I was thinking jungle land (mid 40s)was near 10th or 12th ave south and kings near the old gate gas station that lot has palm trees on it from another business. the card says in the heart of MB.

I agree about all the pictures that are out there from years of vacations the Sun News was asking for people to send them in. I wonder how many old ones they recieved . I am finishing up a slideshow of Mom and Pop Inns and Hotels along the Grand Strand. I will post a link after I load it on youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:18 pm 

I looked at some of your videos and I have to say you do an outstanding job. I can tell you put in a lot of time on these. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy