Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:27 pm 

I stumbled across this thread during my "lurking" days and always wanted to comment. Hope it's okay for a newbie to resurrect a thread :mrgreen:
Staying in Cherry Grove virtually my entire life, I sure do miss the old hotels/motels that have been replaced with condominiums like the Prince Resort. It is a beautiful place, but the area looks nothing like it did. I miss the Holiday House, Christina, Ken-Dari and the Ship Ahoy. I could certainly see the need of replacing them, but there was nothing like taking a stroll near the pier and seeing families camped out on the balconies and by the pool. The Cherry Grove Pier is not gone, but it surely is not what it used to be. Oh how I miss the days of pulling up right in front of the pier, playing a few video games and strolling down to the end - for FREE!! No matter the change, Cherry Grove will always be special to me.

On a side note: I remember the place well, Emmy. The name of it is not coming to mind, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:00 pm 

Is it time yet to add Cagney's Old Place to this list?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:59 pm 

TarHeelboy wrote:

On a side note: I remember the place well, Emmy. The name of it is not coming to mind, though.

I know, I can't remember it either. I would give anything to be able to see a couple photos of that old hangout!! Many a night was spent sitting on the outdoor picnic tables that faced the ocean meeting new friends!

I feel the same about Cherry Grove. It has changed but will always be very special. It is our beach and has been since the very early 80's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Awhile back, Alan (pop2748) sent me some old photos from the Cherry Grove Pier from the '60s and
asked if I could do anything with them. Alan, I hope you're reading this, so you can fill in any details!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:14 pm 

Lake Arrowhead campground where kingston plantation is now right beside Apache campground where we stay. I remember my shock and dismay when I walked down to its arcade in 1985 and found the campground closed. still miss it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:13 pm 

myrtle beachcomber wrote:
Lake Arrowhead campground where kingston plantation is now right beside Apache campground where we stay. I remember my shock and dismay when I walked down to its arcade in 1985 and found the campground closed. still miss it!

I think me coming to Myrtle Beach for 18-20 years is a long time and when you say there was a campground where Kingston Plantation is I realize other people have been coming down a lot longer and have seen more changes then I have and so I think mom should of been coming sooner so I could see more of how Myrtle Beach has changed. I think the first time I was ever in Myrtle Beach was in 1979 because I think we went down to Myrtle Beach to see my aunt and uncles first condo they bought and then went over to Atlanta to watch Iowa State Cyclones play in the Peach Bowl. So only being 9 I don't remember to much about the beach then but I wish I could. But I have got to go through 2 tropical storms, one was Ernesto and we were those people that watch on the beach to get on The Weather Channel, and the other was 3 years ago I think. So here is to the memories I do have and can't wait to have many more memories of going to Myrtle Beach. So I hope all of you keep adding to this thread because I like seeing how it has changed down here.
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:30 pm 

[quote="patrish"]Awhile back, Alan (pop2748) sent me some old photos from the Cherry Grove Pier from the '60s and
asked if I could do anything with them. Alan, I hope you're reading this, so you can fill in any details!

I feel like I've written all this before. If I have and it's posted elsewhere on the board forgive me....

Not much to add other than it was Crescent Beach Pier. Been gone forever. Pics probably from early 60's. Pier sat at south end of Crescent Beach where Baywatch is now. It was the boundary separating Crescent Beach from segregated Atlantic Beach.
Looking south the next pier down was probably south boundary separating Atlantic from Windy Hill. Shot to the north would be Crescent Beach.

Small shack on pier had a pin ball machine and one of those baseball machines where you had one flipper to "bat" the ball into targets for base hits. outs, etc.......Cousin and I spent hours in that little shack. We were always told to never.....ever go past the pier. Never understood what the big deal was. We did look down the other side of the pier a few times. Yeah they were all black but the whole segregation thing never made sense to us.

Wasn't much out on RT 17 in the 60's. Everything was oceanfront. No monster themed miniature golf parks. Several orange and white Putt Putt franchises along Ocean Blvd. Flat coarse. Maybe a ramp or a brick in the middle to navigate around.
Never have asked sister or cousin but I swear I remember trampolines. Rectangular holes in the ground with trampolines stretched across. Pay so much per half hour. Like somebody else said. Lawyers took all the fun out of life.........

Most of the NMB action was at end of Main Street in Ocean Drive. All my friends would return form the beach talking about the Pavilion. I never knew there was a Myrtle Beach. I thought we were at Myrtle Beach all the ears we went to NMB. I never saw Myrtle Beach and actual Pavilion until I was 18 on road trips with the guys.
Real amusement park oceanfront at end of Main Street. Not the county fair thing they have now. Our favorite ride was Mouse Trap. Small roller coaster with 90 degree turn throwing you out towards the ocean. Loved that turn.
Saw my first topless bathing suit at the Ocean Drive Pavilion. Actually it was a mannequin wearing short shorts and two inch wide suspenders. No big deal by today's standards but mid sixties I know two young boys spent a lot of time walking up to pavilion to get a peek.

Last big family trip was late 60's. Stayed way up in Cherry Grove at the inlet. Last half mile of Ocean Blvd there was only few houses and we were in the last one what is now called second row. No houses oceanfront maybe quarter mile down the beach. Pretty much had whole inlet area to ourselves. Back of house was on the marsh. There were no channel houses or development past second row. Cousin and I spent more time stuck in the mud out in marsh than we did in the ocean. Probably a good thing.
One day we were on rafts and tide took us out too far. We made it back in but parents and a group of bystanders seemed very concerned.......

More up to date memories. Emmy might remember this one. Mount Olympus Waterslide on Main Street in Ocean Drive. Was on the left heading out towards RT 17. Large mound of dirt with 3-4 bob sled type runs twisting back and forth down to catch pool. We loved that place with the kids. Couldn't believe it one trip when we drove down to do the slides and it was level lot.........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 am 

Looking at the pier pics I can remember the Windy Hill Pier. I only remember walking on it a few times before it was closed down. However, it stood there for years before it was destroyed. It was located close to where Beach Cove is today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 am 

Just to get this going again... Morrisons cafetria was the first place my (then to be) father-in-law took us to eat..Waited forever!!

Mother Fletchers .. found my grandson a tshirt at Goodwill here in KY that was in excellent condition and my daughter had a fit because she couldn't wear it... He wasn't sure about it until we explained and how retro the shirt was and just because my daughter wanted it so bad LOL He loves it!!!

Not sure if I mentioned this before ... but somewhere on one of the side street corners there was a trailer and a monkey (live) in the yard..I've always wondered about that monkey!! LOLOL

So happy Peaches is still in the same place and doing business!! We ate there year before last for lunch when we first got in and was waiting on the room!!

Pier 14... we hadn't been back until last Sept and was so glad we did!! It has made it on our list back this year!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:18 am 

Just read through all of this and loved jogging the memory of a few things for me as a kid.

2 things I dont think mentioned that I think of were:

Harbor Lights driving range - Loved going with my uncle and hitting balls under the covered range. I believe this is now a subdivision.

The Crab House. I cant remember the exact location of it, but it seems like one was reincarnated around Broadway for a while, but not I never ate at that one. I remember mom having to crack leg after leg of crab for me when I was roughly 5-7 years old I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:24 pm 

I remember when the cafeterias were the "go to" spots in myrtle beach. If you waited to late to go eat then be ready for extremely long lines.

The crab house used to be a yearly stop for us.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.funbeaches.com/Old-Myrtle-Beach.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:05 pm 

Olaf's. They had awesome waffle cones downtown MB.

Po Folks. I remember going there every visit when I was young.

Pig N Chicken. Still looking for a good replacement in the Garden City area!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:49 am 

luvmb wrote:
Mother Fletchers .. found my grandson a tshirt at Goodwill here in KY that was in excellent condition and my daughter had a fit because she couldn't wear it... He wasn't sure about it until we explained and how retro the shirt was and just because my daughter wanted it so bad LOL He loves it!!!

What a great find!! What are the odds in KY!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:44 am 
Site Admin

Cute story about the t-shirt. One of the Goodwill stores in this area is close to us, so I am forever taking car loads of stuff there. I always marvel at the racks, ranks, and more racks of t-shirts, and thought to myself there must be at least one from everywhere in the world. So far I have not had the patience to look.

Stores like Goodwill, resale shops, consignment stores, etc have become very popular in the MB area, and probably everywhere else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next