Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:54 pm 

Not positive how many locations they had. Always thought more than one. More I think about it there was probably just one and we went to it from different direction each year.

Probably in Cresent Beach. Second row a block or two south of 25th Ave south.

Give or take a little on measurments but lot was maybe 50'x75'. Surrounded by 4' tall chain link fence. Small ticket booth at gate. Several 8'x10' pits in rows on the lot. Each pit had padded frame around edges. Trampoline stretched across frame.

Paid something like $1 an hour to jump, flip, fall, skin knees, bump head.........Pay again and go for another hour.....Lawyers have taken all the fun outta being a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:04 am 
Site Admin

If you haven't already looked through the FunBeaches pages, I've had some old photos and postcards online since I designed the site. Wally, who saves everything, has a large collection of the Anchor Bank Home Classic. They would be nice framed and hung somewhere, but we never got around to it.
http://www.funbeaches.com/oldMB.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:03 am 

If I think about it during next trip. I'll check at Boulineau's about some old pics.
If remembering right they used to have them on the wall where deli is now. Several shots of Cherry Grove around the time/year Patrish's pics were taken.
Maybe two or three houses with fishing boats beached at low tide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:45 am 

I still need to get to scanning that old Sandpiper magazine from 1974... Condos for $30K!!! Now there's something gone, but not forgotten! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:28 pm 

Rhonda wrote:
htomc....It's amazing that you have that post card...that is exactly the ride I was talking about!!

Here is the exact ride that you remember, this is from an old postcard made in 1970:

http://htomc.dns2go.com/myrtle/postcard/dt-72739-c.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:58 am 

We stayed at the Sandy Beach Motel (now resort) and I remember walking across the street to the amusement park to that ride in the early 70's. I also remember that a couple of the popular songs that summer were Brandy and Strawberry Letter 22. It's so funny how I can remember things from 35 years ago clearly but couldn't tell you what happened yesterday!

Post subject: Tramps Disco....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:25 am 

Does anyone remember Tramp's Disco and the Afterdeck in North Myrtle?
The Afterdeck was next to the Doll House.
Tramps was in a Strip Mall from what I can remember.

We always stayed at The Heritage Motel that was owned by the Cannaday Family, across from the Ocean and Sand Dunes.

I have so many other great memories, so I'll be back............

Donna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:46 am 

Mt Olympus Water Park - NMB

Christy's - Quaint intiamte little restaurant on Kings Hwy

The Peddler Steakhouse - Kings Hwy

Singing Surf and Kit Kat Motels - 2200 or 2300 N Ocean blvd

"The Old" Chesterfield Inn - with 2 meals daily served each year by your favorite waiter....Their Strawberries...Always have a soft place in my heart for Ernie who intoduced my youngest child to ice cream.

Last edited by gcc5582 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:29 pm 

Places I miss:

The old Grand Prix raceway - something you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to do with the kids.

Waccamaw Pottery -- the old one -- a great place to go with the females on those rainy days!

The old Airforce Base -- used to love just parking in a nearby lot and watching those planes take off and land -- woo hoo!

1983 thru 2017 -- Various Locations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:09 pm 

Ponderosa Campground (NMB) - This is where we used to go tent camping when I was in high school in the early 70's (Class of 72). My parents used to let me take a girlfriend and we would always leave the campground to go into Myrtle Beach to 'party' with high school friends who were down there at the same time as us.

Village of the Barefoot Traders - Where Barefoot landing is now, but this was such a cool, quaint place with shops!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:30 pm 

Grand Prix Go cart Track
By far the best Go carts in Myrtle Beach.
Better than Nascar
Our family would get our wristbands and ride all day for one price. We would go to the parking lot for sodas and snacks. At around 4 o'clock we would go back to our condo, nap, get a bite to eat and then head back to the Grand prix till they kicked us out. We sure do miss this family tradition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:54 pm 

Jo Ann wrote:
Grand Prix Go cart Track
By far the best Go carts in Myrtle Beach.
Better than Nascar
Our family would get our wristbands and ride all day for one price. We would go to the parking lot for sodas and snacks. At around 4 o'clock we would go back to our condo, nap, get a bite to eat and then head back to the Grand prix till they kicked us out. We sure do miss this family tradition

We had a whole lot of good times at the Grand Prix. Moving from the smaller carts to the big boys was an exciting time in my life. Myrtle Beach used to have all kinds of little go cart tracks up and down the strand. You could ride at any of these for just a few bucks. I really think that everyone just priced themselves out of the game. Even Nascar is struggling (or maybe already closed).

Last edited by MBKY on Thu May 21, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:50 am 

Pete's Blue Marlin Inn - I can't remember exactly where in Murrell's Inlet but I remember going in there a few evenings for a couple of years. It was mostly a 'locals' place and rumor had it that Mickey Spillane frequented there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 am 

Is Mother Fletcher's still open?? Our girls, now in their upper 20's have our old tshirts from there and would like new ones if they are still open..

Also, in 80 or something there was a little hotdog/icecream shop across from the Yachtsman .. just wondering about that ..

And the amusement park out on the south end .. not family kingdom.. but was it around pirateland .. I can't remember right off.. if I get time I'll look it up ..

these are just a few things that popped to mind.. so, so many memories ..

Post subject: Gone but not Forgotten
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:24 am 

Sorry..no more Mother Fletchers. Don't know about the ice cream/hot dog stand you are referring to unless it could be Peaches Corner...about 4 blocks down.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next