Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:56 pm 

I've got one for the group... How many of you have actually seen the railroad drawbridge over the intercoastal waterway "down" with a train on it? The one beside 501 where the old Waccamaw Pottery location is.

It was the first drawbridge that I had ever seen, and every year as a child I looked (and hoped) to see it down as we arrived into Myrtle Beach for our family vacation. I DID finally get to see it down with a train passing through one year. I was probably 8 or 9, so that would have been the early 1970's. I do not believe that any train tracks exist in Myrtle Beach anymore.

Anyone else every see the drawbridge down?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:25 pm 

Hey Scott, While I have never seen it down. When the railroad was operating there were regular deliveries to a number of businesses that had rail spurs to their warehouses. IE: The Chapin Lumber Company. (now out of business) Better Brands, the Budweiser distributor, and a few other firms. The railways has been out of business in the last few years. It had been purchased a few years ago, however the folks that purchased it did not have the funds to make needed repairs and never opened it... I think the county made a deal to have the firm that operates the railroad from Conway north take over the spur from Conway to Myrtle Beach with hopes of making the repairs and opening the track to the Myrtle Beach station on Oak Street.

I have not seen anything new, but here is the latest from Wikipedia...
R.J. Corman Railroad Co. filed papers with the U.S. Surface Transportation Board in January 2015 indicating completion of a sale of all but one mile of the railroad near Whiteville as of February 11, with the railroad expected to reopen "sometime during the summer."[44] In a complaint filed March 6, 2015, Corman asked that Ken Pippin be required to sell Carolina Southern. Attorney Bill Hanna Jr. said the two state committee and Pippin had come to an agreement, and the committee assigned the agreement to Corman. Pippin denied any deal had been made.[45]

The $13.9 million sale is to be complete by August 2015. Corman expected $2 million in work and another six months before operations resume.[46] With 1600 employees in 23 states and a construction operation, Corman would be able to make the necessary upgrades. Pippin intended to keep the depot in Conway and said Carolina Southern would be a separate company. Corman planned for the railroad to deal with more businesses.[47]

On August 17, 2015, it was announced that R.J. Corman Railroad Co. had closed on the multimillion-dollar purchase of Carolina Southern. Officials from Corman told media that the company had already taken possession of Carolina Southern on August 17 and that the company has already moved equipment into place two weeks before the deal was officially sealed in order to return the railroad to operation as soon as possible.[48][49]

On April 6, 2016, the first train ran on the former Carolina Southern line in Horry County.[50]

There is not much other news, but if you want my opinion, they are trying to come up with funds to make railway improvements and open the line. But, and here is my take. there needs to be customers, and there are few. the current speed limit seems to be about 10 MPH which is too slow to attract use.

Keep watching, and in the meantime, the raised upright bridge continues to be a landmark. They do have a lot of land in their deal and hopefully one day it will become profitable again.

PS: Hey I do enjoy all your posts on twitter... Look forward to your visit in 2017.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7