Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:12 am 

Texan's Steak Ranch Was I disappointed to see that vanish several years ago! It seemed practically like an institution. For some reason or another, we'd worked up a tradition in which the last evening of our vacation, we would go to Texan's. As a Civil War buff, I enjoyed seeing the framed Confederate money on the walls here and there. Still have a Texan's beer glass in the shape of a cowboy boot. Definitely missed.

Daruma As someone that spent some time in the nomiya, sushi-ya, kaiseki and other establishments in Japan, I can say that hands-down, this was the most authentic Japanese establishment I'd been to outside of Japan. Nice folks there. I remember the wife telling me that she was from Osaka. They would remember us every year. Had excellent octopus, which they told me was imported from Japan and thus not the same as the octopus caught here. Which was true. Definite bonus points for staying open until 3:00 AM, just like a lot of places in Tokyo. Sorely missed.

Music City Grill As a Country music fan and Country Music musician in the Nashville area, I always enjoyed stopping here. There was a collection of Country Music memorabilia and regalia that would rival anything you'd find here. Now it's just another seafood mill. Oh well!

Myrtle Square Mall Spent a lot of time there for certain. Centerpiece had to be that huge neon and glass globe clock. Very '70s. :cool:

Johnny Guitar Small music shop run by a guy that was a real character, but in a good way. Sold the cheapest guitar strings anywhere on the planet. I always stocked up when in town. There's a real dearth of good guitar shops in Myrtle Beach and it's been that way for some time. Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are killing a lot of the small stores off unfortunately.

Rockburger Definitely saw a lot of bands there. Was a frequent stop as it was within walking distance from the condo we'd rent back then. Wonder what happened to all of the dollar bills pasted everywhere? There had to be a few thousand at least... Owner/Conway native Perry Richardson (Craig Morgan bassist, ex-Firehouse bassist, ex-Maxx Warrior bassist — now that's going back) stopped in one night and sat in while the wife was singing at Nashville Crossroads on Lower Broadway and explained what happened. Replaced with yet another Eagles or Wings T-shirt, snowglobe and shot glass shop. Too bad. :cry:

Danger Zone Saw Jackyl right after they got signed and before they released their debut CD. It was all a really big deal, but rather inexplicable since they were so awful... Fun place though.

Now in the Forgotten But Not Gone file, I have:

Unnamed Hotel Years ago, when I was a college student, two friends and I rented a room and not only did they attempt to short us a day, they actually refused to refund our $3.00 key deposits upon checking out. Flat out refused and would give no reason other than, "No, we're not giving your deposit back." Oh, and some teenaged punk spit on me from a balcony — I saw him and they refused to do anything about it. You might think they didn't want us back, and I considered that, but we were actually well-behaved. Not all college kids are what you see on VH-1's or E! Entertainment's Like Totally Wild Spring Break College Kid Scorched Earth Blitzkrieg or something... :joker:

Unnamed Condo Doesn't have anything in their contract that you can't bring bicycles. You're just supposed to know this by ESP or somehow. Even though our family had stayed there since 1982, just kept repeating, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" which is what people say when they're shutting you out and they secretly aren't sorry. They actually love it... :roll: :lol: All's well that ends well, I always say, and the condo rental agency put us up in a far nicer condo in the Arcadian Shores area, where we have stayed every year since then and love. Thanks Unnamed Condo! :mrgreen:

Anyhow, that's what comes to mind right now. Please add your own. I'd be interested in reading them! :pirat:

Last edited by outlier on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:41 am 

Gone but not forgotten:

Sadie's - A wonderful buffet restaurant that used to be in the northernmost mall where Bass Pro Shops is (Briarcliff? Colonial? - can't remember the name of the mall - senior moment!). My husband literally almost cried when we went bopping in there one day for supper and it was gone! It was along the lines of Ryan's and Golden Corral, where you paid one price and could go back as often as you wanted. At the time the only alternatives were K&W and Morrison's at Myrtle Square, where you pay by the dish.

Morrison's Cafeteria - In the Myrtle Square Mall - as noted above comparable to K&W, but in the mall so you could walk around afterward and do some shopping.

Barefoot RV Resort - Never stayed there but had driven through. Some friends of our had stayed there and liked it. Had to make way for progress and more hotel development along the beach. It was located across from Barefoot Landing, somewhat behind the Cracker Barrel, in that area.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:45 am 

Oh yeah! Morrison's Cafeteria! Always a huge line. :nanner:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:29 am 

The Pavillion ~ Its gone from its original site , and parts are at BWTB which is nice but still its not the same ~

Brants Burgers ~ This place was a big deal for my dad . He and his parents always ate there and then he started taking us when we were kids . They place was bought out at one point but was never the same . It was always like a drive in you would see on movies like "Shag" .

The Hawaii Kai~ This was a hotel that used to be down where The Coral Beach is now ??? Maybe ? But we stayed there several times and I always liked it because it had a Tiki Hut for a shop out near the pool .

The Magic Attic~ I know that is really part of the Pavillion but , it was its own place ! I remember thinking I was so grown up the 1st summer I was able to go there and I ran into a cute guy I was in school with here at home . That was a fun summer !! :lol:

I know there is more I just cant think of right now ...... I will keep thinking .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:49 am 

Forgot one!

Southern Market Sad to see that gone. Had a lot of great deli food and I liked that you could mix and match six-packs of beer, so you could try different exotic beers without having to purchase a six-pack to do so. Nice big clean place, had a cool vibe. Always seemed busy, so I wonder why it went by the wayside...

Now it's Umi, a Pacific Rim place. Hadn't tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:08 pm 

the big kid in my misses the Myrtle Beach Grand Prix... and i saw Barefoot Rv Park listed... it was on the South end of North MB next to Beach Cove... is being replaced by timeshare condo's.... or so i have been told...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:01 pm 

knickerbocker at barefoot landingnow a generic joes crab shack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:14 am 

Damon's at Broadway - now a surf shop. Some of the best ribs I've ever had.

Myrtle Square Mall - that huge clock in the center of the mall (I know someone else mentioned that already)

Mother Fletchers - back in the late 70's it was in it's heyday.

Surf n Dunes motel on the south end. Damaged beyond repair by one of the recent hurricanes a few years ago. My family stayed there several times.

Waccamaw Pottery - the original building before it was expanded into a mega mall that later turned into a ghost town type building.

The Spanish Galleon - THE ORIGINAL before the reconstruction.

The Magic Attic - before it was turned into a teen club. The house band was called "Eastern Seaboard" and was one of the best cover bands I've ever heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:11 am 

Copelands...(cajun cuisine) - on Kings Highway just before Barefoot Landing - replaced by Palmetto Grille and then by California Dreaming.
It was our number one choice when we rolled into town.

Colleen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:10 am 

Copelands: We had one near here in Brentwood. It vanished a short while ago. A shame. :cry:

Here are another two in my Gone But Not Forgotten List:

India Palace That was a must-stop especially since there seems to be a dearth of good and inexpensive Indian establishments around here. There's Sitar in Nashville, which costs a king's ransom to eat there and is just OK. Portions are very small too. So it was nice to patronize India Palace. Large portions, good service, good food.

Unpaved road north out of Myrtle Beach Whew, am I dating myself here, but I still remember our family's first trip to Myrtle Beach. Upon leaving, we took 17 out of town toward Wilmington and I still remember a portion of road that was unpaved somewhere along the way. :clown:

And in the Gone AND Forgotten category, I have:

Unknown Gyro Place in Myrtle Square Mall This is years ago, but stopped there once and they actually put sweet BBQ sauce in with the cucumber sauce on the gyros... Weird! :dontknow: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:10 pm 

Ok , there was a place in the Pavillion where you could buy these blown glass swans and different things , and they had colored water in them and something like clear plastic line put the top that picked up the color of the water ???? Does anyone remember these ??? I walked up there one night when I was about 10 years old(I'm 41 now ) and bought my Mom one with my own money , walked back , we were staying down about where the Coral Beach is now . I gave it to her the next morning and she asked how I got it , I told her , and buddy she wore me out ! Talk about confused , I couldnt understand why , I bought her a gift and she beat my :bootyshake: . Memories !!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:28 pm 

Mount Olympus Water Slide....it was located on Main Street in NMB. We used to go there a lot in the late 70's/early 80's

Cabana Terrace Motor Inn....a great hotel for it's day and my most favorite place to stay ever. A victim of Hugo, it was reborn as Peppertree Timeshare Resort and not the same but thanks for the memories

Lake Arrowhead Campground...we visited when my friends always stayed here and I loved it with it's shady trees and lakes

NMB piers...before Hugo they were located every few miles down the beach. I remember them well because one year we walked the beach all the way from Cherry Grove to Lake Arrowhead and passed under them all.

Old amusement ride....it was located somewhere on the strip. It was a tower that had an old jalopy looking car that you rode inside the tower to the top... then it went back down by spiralling down a track on the outside. Scary! No one seems to really remember this ride but me.

All the old motels up and down Ocean Blvd....time and progress has swept them away :???:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:41 pm 

Pelican Point mini golf in North Myrtle....near where Prestons is now...lots of memories there.

Grand Prix

I remember the piers before Hugo as well....and before they started the growth at the top of the beach and it was all open.

Back in the mid 80's we stayed at Barefoot RV Resort, only it wasn't the RV resort then...it was just a campground. Then a tropical storm came through and we decided to stay in hotels/condos from then on.....

I have pictures from when I was 1,2,3,4 years old, when I was too scared to touch the sand because I thought there was a jellyfish there once and I was afraid it would eat me!

The water slide/water park between the Grand Prix and Pelican Point. I loved that place too.

Waccamaw Pottery

Make your own sundae in NMB

The Outrigger restaurant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:54 pm 

Sounds really good. Sorry I missed that place. I've had bulgogi and of course, kimchi, but not sure on what other Korean dishes I'd had.

Of course, "Ichiban" is a Japanese word, but so many Japanese places seem owned and operated by Koreans. For instance, at Samurai Sushi in Nashville, you can expect a lot of the sushi to have that heavy and smoky sesame oil taste. :lol: :pirat:

A Japanese friend once told me that the practice of putting wasabi in soy sauce for sushi — that's Korean. I did not know that. :dontknow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:08 pm 

Ok, I have put alot of thought into this...The absolute place that I miss the most is the Ghirardelli Chocolate Ice Cream Shop at Barefoot Landing. There have been a few vacations that we actually went every night. Ice Cream is my favorite, especially on vacation. :lol:

I cried when I heard the QVC outlet closed.

Does anyone remember the small waterpark that used to be on HWY 17 in North Myrtle Beach? I believe there is a pharmacy there now. We had so many great times at that waterpark and went every year.

The ice cream snicker bars they used to sell on the beach...

I will always miss the Pavilion.

Deanna

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next