Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pavilion bimbo box
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:31 pm 

:lol: Wait- don't think this is something"off-color"-does anyone remember a monkey band enclosed in a glass case that cost10 cents ? The monkeys played mexican type instruments. I always loved it as a child & it was there well into my adulthood(I'm 45) . It was called the "Bimbo Box"-just wondering whatever happened to it?

Post subject: I remember that
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:10 pm 

One of the little monkeys in the band played the cymbals.

They also had some live-animal ones too. One had a rabbit which would run up and kiss a clown. Another one had baby ducks performing tricks. The PETA people would have a heart attack if they could see the Pavilion back then.

And, on the amusement park side, near the 9th avenue corner, was an organ grinder with a monkey. They monkey loved silver but wouldn't take pennies!

Post subject: Yes You Remember!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:21 pm 

I can't believe how quickly you replied-obviously you remember the bimbo box! What a name for it... kinda like the Gay Dolphin-word usage changes! I don't recall the live animal ones (approx yrs?) but I do fondly recall the organ grinder . If you gave paper money he gave you a small color photo of himself(the monkey-not the organ grinder ha ha). I also recall when I was a child being a little bit afraid of that monkey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:55 pm 

OH MY! I remember those monkeys AND the Bimbo Machine! Wow..you guys are stilulating my almost 50 yr old brain tonight :)

Firebird Inn on my honeymoon in '84
Water's Edge in Garden City many years!
Horizon East '06 and '07 (they allow pets)
Private beach house or condo in Garden City '08, '09, '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:15 pm 

Ah, the old monkey grinder!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:36 am 

to add to the silliness.... i am now 36 but when i was about 7 and used to go to MB with my grandparents my grandpa would call the gay dolphin the queer porpoise.... then grandma would smack him in the arm and tell him to hush that little ears were around... lol..... but that was also the grandpa that would leave the door open at the pirateland shower house when he um lets just say went #2 so he could make small talk with anyone that came in... he always made us laugh... even though sometimes it was a little embarrassing... RIP.... funny how so many of the posts on here can stir a childhood memory and how so many of us had similar experiences... at least for me is why this message board means so much to me... so many wonderful people on here and all the shared memories of MB....

take care and Happy Myrtle Beach Memories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:42 am 

You are so right. One of my favorite pictures of my father is on the beach at Garden City, in his old baseball jersey (he coached American Legion) and ball cap with a "toddy" in his hand (always bourbon/ginger) and shorts on. The only time he EVER wore shorts was at the beach and he usually stayed inside the beach house and played cards or read, wasn't a big fan of the sun so for him to come out on the beach was a special treat. (we had five boys so he had his hands full).

He never called it "the beach", it was always "the coast", as in "Let's go down to the coast"

Anyway, the picture is a bit off focus, but he looks so relaxed, its an instant feel good memory. I'm going to get it scanned and post it.

And he loved the organ grinder and the monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:21 am 

I havnt thought about thoses monkeys for years.........Man that brings back memories!!! :lol: