Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:45 am 

I have been to myrtle prob about 30 times over the years. Wild Rapids was always a fun waterslide till Hugo took it out. I remember going to Myrtle Waves waterpark the first year it opened as well. Now im a germaphobe so i don't want to go into public water lol. And back in the day when the Outrigger restaurant was still awesome. There are really to many memories to list. Before barefoot landing was there. and when lake arrowhead campground was still open(we used to stay there and at apache before we went condo). i love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:21 am 

Was Wild Rapids located in North Myrtle Beach? I remember a water slide park on the left going north (I think there is a pharmacy there now). We used to have the best time at that park. It was a yearly event for us. I miss seeing it there. :cry: I do remember when the Outrigger was good :nanner: I "think" it has closed down now. The last several times we visted (many years ago) it was not good. My isn't it fun to look back..

Deanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:24 pm 

wild rapids if i remember correctly was down by the boardwalk in myrtle proper. i do remember one further up towards north myrtle but now of course i cant remember the name(to many years going by). it was on the left side of the road when heading north and i remember one of my sisters getting a paint chip from the chute underneath her toenail lol. not funny now but way back to a little bro it was.

we went to the outrigger a couple times in the past few years. every since it was sold by the old owner(i think he was a pittsburgher and opened it in the 70's?) it has gone downhill. maybe im remembering things as a child when everything seemed cool and new. but it sucked last time. we tried calabash, nc last year but i made the mistake of letting another family member pick the restaurant lol. she is 0 for 3 so far when allowed to decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:19 pm 

The one in NMB was on Main Street in Ocean Drive section. For some reason I think it was Mount Olympus or something along those lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:42 pm 

If I'm not mistaken, Wild Rapids is now Family Kingdom Water Park which is located at 3rd. Ave. South and Ocean Blvd. across from the amusement park.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:41 pm 

Mz. Kitty wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, Wild Rapids is now Family Kingdom Water Park which is located at 3rd. Ave. South and Ocean Blvd. across from the amusement park.

Not sure if thats the name of it, but that water park is one of the oldest in the entire area. When water slides first started in the mid-70s, that one was the first, right on the ocean front; next one was Water Boggan a few miles down the road near the air force base. That slide was the original concrete type, and you had to have a special foam pad to slide on, or it was really rough! They have torn that down now, and put the current water park in its place, with the fiberglass slides held up by steelwork, as opposed to the huge mountain of dirt like the original slides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:37 am 

Yes , it is now the Family Kingdom water park . My Dad took me and my younger brother there for years , we loved that place! We alwyas stayed up on that end of Myrtle Beach and Wild Rapids was always somewhere that we went ! And if you stayed late enough into the early evening , you may even spot Elvis across the street !!! :notworthy:

Post subject: Water Boggan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:17 pm 

My mother took my brother and me to Water Boggan AT NIGHT! Back then it was the only one beside the one at Family Kingdom (I think Water Boggan was actually first)

It used to be open one night each week until 10 pm. We must have been about 8 or 9. Man, that was the best night ever !!!! We still talk about it.

My mother never left the car!!!! Oh, back in the day.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:17 am 

The Elvis reference was because sometimes at night you would see Elvis impersonators on a stage across from Wild Rapids water slide . In fact I think the stage is still there and a friend of ours said they saw Elvis out there recently .... huh ? You never know ........ :cool: