Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triggered Memories
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 am 

I was looking through all these messages and wham! a whole flood of distant memories can back. What a great feeling, except they seem so long ago.

I remember the first time we visited. I was a young lad back in 1972. We stayed at the Princess Inn on Hwy 17. My cousins had the efficiency unit, we had just a room.

My main memories were sitting in a room with some other kids we met from Leesburg Virginia and watching the Olympic games (or highlights) and seeing Mark Spitz setting records. Yet I have no recollection of seeing or remembering anything about the massacre of the athletes. The other big memory was not wearing footwear while walking down the roadway to the beach! I can still remember the heat on my bare feet and my mom and sister so mad because it was taking so long to walk the few blocks to the beach. I can recall getting my sore feet in the water and just standing there for what seemed like an eternity.

That first trip had me hooked. We often went to Florida in the early spring and every few years to Myrtle in the summer. I didn't have the care or emotional buildup for Florida, but when I heard "Myrtle Beach trip" I was sent into a wild frenzy!!!

I must admit, I still have that exact same emotional rush :lol:

TJ

Post subject: Re: Triggered Memories
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:01 pm 

I've always thought the MB trips just had a different "feel" than my other vacations. As I posted a few weeks back, I went to Charleston for a cruise, and we just basically threw our stuff in a suitcase and started driving. No way that happens for a MB trip. We plan months ahead of time and start packing a week before. Vehicle, house, etc... everything has to be just right. It is the highlight of our summer and no other trips compare.

Post subject: Re: Triggered Memories
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:34 pm 

Doug and I are thinking about heading to Destin this fall, but we still haven't booked and Myrtle Beach keeps coming up. Not to mention the rates in MB are much cheaper. Guess we will see!