Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:53 am 

My first visit to Myrtle Beach came in July 1981. Let me tell you what a difference between then and know!

My brother-in-law wanted to get some fireworks for 4th of July. So we headed out about 9 pm to a little fireworks store from Socastee to Surfside, we drove down this road, called the By-Pass. No kidding, I remember it being pitch black and we passed about 5 cars along the way! He showed me this little short-cut down a gravel road, what is now Glenns Bay Road. I honestly thought he was taking me into the boondocks! We came back through the AF Base ( I was active duty AF then stationed in Panama City Fla and had a sticker). We went through the base and down Farrow parkway, which was long, dark and winding. I can't remember if there was a light at the back gate and the by-pass at the time, but I don't think there was.

We spent the majority of our beach time at the Myrtle Beach State Park, which I remember wasn't very crowded back in '81. Restaurant Row was the big eating draw back then. My brother-in-law's favorite hangout was "2001" night club off Lake Arrowhead Road. The wife and I went to check it out and danced to "disco"!
We went to the Pavilion which didn't charge an entrance fee. Most of the hotels in town were the mom and pop variety that only stayed open 6 or 7 months out of the year.

In 1981, The By-Pass was just that..a by-pass. No malls or shops hardly any traffic lights. I do remember there was a flashing red/yellow light at the intersection of the 2 lane by-pass and "JetPort Road", which is now Harrelson Blvd.

Myrtle Beach sure has grown up.

Joey

Joey

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:37 am 

Thank you for sharing your memories with us. I think the first time I ever went to Myrtle Beach was 1981 also. My husband was stationed in Charleston and we made a day trip to Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach has sure grown up in the last 30 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Loved your story, Jamie! Thanks for sharing!

We've been here 14 years now, and we're seen so many changes! I'm getting as bad as the locals who used to frustrate me by giving directions such as: "Take a left there where the Shell station used to be before they tore it down and put up something else."

The only thing I knew about Myrtle Beach growing up was the Pavilion. My family used to take vacations in FL But driving home, my Dad always stopped for a night (or two if we were lucky) in Myrtle Beach.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:25 pm 

I also remember when the by-pass was exactly just that. I still remember riding in the station wagon and sign watching waiting what seemed to be forever for the right turn off the by-pass down toward the beach. The by-pass was pretty much tree lined on both sides all the way to the north section of Myrtle Beach where it ends.

All our bigger meals back then seemed to be on Restaurant Row. I remember eating every year at Chuck's, which I think may actually still be there.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:13 am 

Almost forgot a few things.

During that initial visit in 1981, we spent a few nights at the "Myrtle Beach Grand Prix", just off 17 Business at the southern end of The Boulevard. Which I thought was actually a pretty cool place. The first thing you saw when you turned onto The Boulevard was a big "Gay Dolphin" sign and a big water slide (can't remember the name of the water slide place.)

You had two choices going to Conway..the 501 bridge or the Socastee Swing Bridge. For the unlucky ones, if you caught the swing bridge as it was closing, you could wait a good 10 or 15 minutes. My wife's mom had a house on 544, which back then was more of a back road. It was in the vicinity of where 544 and 31 intersect.

One of our Doctor friends had a condo at the old Bay Tree up in North Myrtle Beach that he was kind enough to let us use for a few days. I remember what a big sprawling place Bay Tree was.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 am 

The only 2 times I was at Myrtle Beach was 1987 and 1988. I was 16 and my brother was 13. I remember going to a seafood buffet and it cost $16! My parents weren't real happy paying $16/person back then, LOL.

Now it is $31.