Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:54 pm 

Actually, we lived in Sumter and on Shaw AFB - from 1992 to 1999.
I don't recall the restaurant outside Columbia, but am pretty sure which small lake it was.

Many folks get the same mistaken-identity impression about the relocated site of the Chamber of Commerce's official welcome center. There was much opposition to that, putting it along an isolated stretch well away from Myrtle Beach along 501, BEFORE the junction of Rt 378, "in the middle of nowhere", etc - but I won't comment further about that... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:06 pm 

Mike - Were you ever stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB here in the Dayton, OH area? Ever visited the Air Force Museum? Just curious.

Vicki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 pm 

Kelly's school just cancelled the rest of the week and so did her dance class (which usually holds them regardless).... With 30 inches on the ground and 20" on the way, "Myrtle on a whim" sounds like a great plan !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm 

Mz. Kitty wrote:
Mike - Were you ever stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB here in the Dayton, OH area? Ever visited the Air Force Museum? Just curious.

Vicki

Never STATIONED at Wright-Pat - but flew there many times in transient status. Got "weathered in" there a few times, for several days at a time, for severe winter (ice) storms.

As far as the Air Force Museum: In 1983, I drove my car from Pennsylvania to a 2-month temporary duty assignment in San Antonio Texas (took the car instead of flying so I'd have a vehicle there). My wife and son (he was 7 at the time) took a train to meet me in San Antonio, we spent an extra week between there and all of us returning to PA by car when my assignment ended - mostly for a bit of adventure and vacation for THEM.

Enroute back, we stopped at Wright-Pat and spent an entire day at the Air Force Museum. Quite enjoyable - and educational for our son at the time.

Who knows - maybe we can do THAT again... from South Carolina..."on a whim". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:22 pm 

KirkG wrote:
Kelly's school just cancelled the rest of the week and so did her dance class (which usually holds them regardless).... With 30 inches on the ground and 20" on the way, "Myrtle on a whim" sounds like a great plan !

You wouldn't be alone - each of the past few days, I've seen literally HUNDREDS of vehicles here with plates from the states most affected by this last storm. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am 

Folks... you are either a very GOOD influence or very BAD..... immediately after posting the above, the flight Jan was to work to Miami canceled. So, with me planning on working from home the next few days, Kelly with no activities and Jan no work..... and gee....a blizzard on the way.... what the heck would any sane person do ?

Myrtle Beach on a whim !!!!!!

Gotta give a big thanks to the National Weather Service and all the weather sites for dead-on predictions of snow/rain lines. They all predicted if we got to Richmond by ~8pm it would be all rain southward for the next few hours. Spot on ! Driving from MD to VA in mixed snow/rain wasn't even bad due to the light traffic, though insanely stressful when slush began accumulating on Rte 301.

We arrived at the Caribbean ~1:30am, gale force winds blowing and couldn't be happier !

Thanks for the inspiration !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:59 am 

Lucky you!! I am so impressed. I have been following this thread and when I read your posting yesterday I thought no way. Of course I did not realize your wife worked for an airline. I am so happy for your and your family that you were able to turn a bad situation into some beach time. Have fun and enjoy. Of course you can not always depend on the weather reports. Here in Pigeon Forge, TN there was a 30% of snow last night. We woke up to more snow than we had last week when there were all sorts of warnings, etc.

Judy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:33 pm 

KirkG, glad you all made it safely, hope you have a good time down there. I wish I was in Myrtle Beach now.

Past lodging: Aunts condo (1976-1978) Waterside Inn (1991 & 1992)

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Olympic Flame Pancake house
Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza
Crab House
Preston's Seafood/ Country Buffet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 pm 

Kirk,

What fun you guys. Can't wait to hear about your trip.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:32 am 

Yes, good for you all! Enjoy yourselves and let us know about your "adventure."

JoAnn :sunny:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:30 pm 

My nephew who got married in MB last July, lived just across the Ohio River in WV and they couldn't wait to go, so they went down and back in about a 24 hour period. They literally flew....said it took about 8-9 hr...stayed a couple hours, took a nap and headed back. They, then went down a few weeks later and got married, but stayed a week then!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:48 pm 

Love hearing about all your trips on a whim... Kirk i agree glad you made your trip safely.. weather be darned...LOL... your posts stirred lots of memories in me... in the 90's, more acurately the early and mid 90's... lived near pittsburgh and had no kids... took too many whim trips to remember... for me then was approximately a 10 hour drive... no big deal... travel at nite or morning or whenever had to... sometimes they were just fun trips.. sometimes a lil battery recharge trip... sometimes a pick me up... for instance the time my best friends lost there son after 28 weeks pregnant... had whim trips where drove through rain or blizzards or ice... the WV turnpike weather in the winter could really stink... now with 2 kids and our 3rd to come in 5 weeks... can say i really miss the whim trips.... thank you so much to all that posted about your trips and jogging the memory about some great quick MB trips i was lucky enough to be able to take.... after all any trip to MB no matter how long or short is a blessing!!!

take care and God bless...

Chris