Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Myrtle Beach On A Whim
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:15 am 

This is one of my MB memories. We did a marathon trip to MB back in Sept.1998. I say marathon because we we left home at at 4 AM one morning from Pigeon Forge TN and drove to MB and returned home the next morning at 4 AM.

You see we had just bought a new truck and we were itching to take a road trip, so we just decided to go to Myrtle Beach with just a days notice.

My "then" wife was working at Burger King as the night manager, I picked her up from work at 4AM as she had just closed the store down from the previous night. We went home real quick for her to change clothes, then off we went.

We stopped off briefly at Krystals for breakfast. We drove all morning and arrived just before 11 at the Myrtle Beach welcome center, which was then located at the current site of the coastal college--does anyone remember this?

Well anyway, we got some brochures and some coupons then headed to Huntington Beach state park. On the way out to the beach we had the excitement of seeing an alligator on the roadway.

Well we swam, (and she slept) on the beach until about 4 oclock. We showered and changed clothes at the bathhouse, then headed over to Crabby Mikes for some delicious seafood. The food was really good there, the only downside was the place was really crowded (even in September) and it was kinda loud.

Well after we ate, we decided to drive all the way up Hwy 17 to the NC line, with a small detour through Ocean Blvd.

After making it almost to the North Carolina line we headed back down south again on 17, and stopped in at a few Wings and Eagles stores.

One thing I remember from the North Myrtle Beach/Little River area was that heading south we noticed some kind of really cool polynesian/tropical themed restaurant, that appeared to be open aired. This would have been located on the right sight of 17 heading south. Does anyone know what this place is called, and is it still there? I didn't seem to notice it when I was there 2 years ago.

Well anyway, we finally departed MB sometime after 8PM and arrived back in Pigeon Forge at 4 AM. We were gone a total of 24 hours, and had driven altogether close to 1000 miles.

Has anyone else ever done such a crazy thing?

Past lodging: Aunts condo (1976-1978) Waterside Inn (1991 & 1992)

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Olympic Flame Pancake house
Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza
Crab House
Preston's Seafood/ Country Buffet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:44 am 

WOW!!!! I am impressed :notworthy: . it sounds like you had a blast!! I have never attempted such a feat. We live in NY and it's an 11 hour drive and I have considered taking a long weekend trip but it just seems so overwhelming to drive that long for such a short trip...lol. So the shortest we stay is a week, pretty wimpy huh :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 am 

You should always do that if you feel like doing it when your young. My brother in law and his family would always do something like that and they are from Ohio so he had a long way to drive but it didn't bother him. Now he can't do anything because he has had his leg amputated and is now on dialasis. All he has is his memories of the things they did. It was from his foot getting sunburned that he got an infection in it and they kept having to amputate little by little till they finally had to amputate his leg. Kathy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! I'm totally impressed! (I've never done anything like that!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:21 pm 

Oh my goodness...I would not be able to put one foot in front of the other.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:48 am 

We never did anything on that grand a scale, but before we had kids, my husband (Frank) and I did drive from central PA to Delaware one day just to say we'd been there and could color it in on a map of the U.S. showing states we'd been to together. Silly, but nothing to compare with your trip. :mrgreen:

Oh, I almost forgot. Throughout the 1990s Frank and I owned a campground in central PA. We got to know Lance Thompson, manager at Ocean Lakes, and he mentioned that they were replacing salt-corroded electrical pedestals. Frank asked what they did with them and he said they just threw them away. So, Frank rented a U-Haul trailer and drove to MB in one day, picked up all their used pedestals and drove home again. I'm thinking he did stay somewhere overnight, but I'm not positive about that. So that was a crazy trip for him. I stayed home because our oldest was just a few years old at the time.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 am 

Thanks everyone, it is good to hear your responses. Kathy, sorry about your brother in law, I too have to be careful now, as I have had blood clots in my leg, and I wear compression socks when I am on a long road trip.

I am so looking forward to Myrtle Beach this year, I can't wait. I am now in the process of deciding when to go. I have narrowed it down to the 3rd week in September or the middle of October.

I wish I could come sooner, but the next few months I am spending alot of money getting my car up to date with repairs. Plus I have alot of events planned with my family this year, family reunions and so forth.

Even though I don't dance alot, I can't help get this song out of my head, you know the one that says "dancing, shagging on the boulevard". It seems like everytime I read something about Myrtle Beach online, I hear that song playing in my head.

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza
Crab House

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:01 pm 

junction-guy wrote:
I can't help get this song out of my head, you know the one that says "dancing, shagging on the boulevard".

I believe that song was done by Alabama.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:07 pm 

Thanks, Yeah I thought it was too, but I wasn't sure. That is definitely my ultimate Myrtle Beach song.

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza
Crab House

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:09 pm 

junction-guy wrote:
Thanks, Yeah I thought it was too, but I wasn't sure. That is definitely my ultimate Myrtle Beach song.

One of my favorites too - and now it's stuck in my head. Thanks so much! LOL! :BandHead:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:17 pm 

A very good song to have stuck in your head! It's one of my favorite beach music tunes! :sunny: :hello: :sunny: :hello: :sunny: :hello:

(and yes, it's by Alabama)

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:20 am 

junction-guy wrote:
...We drove all morning and arrived just before 11 at the Myrtle Beach welcome center, which was then located at the current site of the coastal college--does anyone remember this?......Has anyone else ever done such a crazy thing?

I sure remember that welcome center; it was right along 501 at the far east end of Horry Georgetown Technical College - before expansion - and was right beside the student dining hall. It was easy to get in and out of, and we stopped just about every time we passed it coming in.

We made many very short-notice trips like that during the 7 years we spent at Shaw Air Force base. A few times we were just "out for a drive" and ended up here for the rest of the day. Of course, that was only about an average 2-hour drive - but there were many times where we made an unplanned "day trip" or overnight 2-day stay as an escape from both of our military commitments (mine active duty, hers as a civilian employee) or as a celebration for when I returned from one of many temporary assignments in "the sand patch" (Middle East) or "south of the border" (Central/South America).

The end result of all those "crazy things" and other trips was that Myrtle Beach became a no-brainer of where to relocate after military retirement...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:09 pm 

Yes, that welcome center was located in the middle of a pond and you had to walk on a boardwalk to reach it.

I don't know why they relocated because that was a convenient,ideal location. Now the current welcome center is located off the main highway in a residential area, doesn't make sense to me, because by the time someone just happens to discover this new location, their vacation is almost over.

By the way, is Shaw AFB still open?

I remember back in the late 70's we would go through Columbia on Hwy 378 straight to MB, and somewhere in Columbia the road dead ended into the AFB, so you had to either turn right or left.

Of course I was a small kid back then, so I may have it confused.

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza
Crab House

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:09 pm 

junction-guy wrote:
Yes, that welcome center was located in the middle of a pond and you had to walk on a boardwalk to reach it.

I don't know why they relocated because that was a convenient,ideal location. Now the current welcome center is located off the main highway in a residential area, doesn't make sense to me, because by the time someone just happens to discover this new location, their vacation is almost over.

By the way, is Shaw AFB still open?

I remember back in the late 70's we would go through Columbia on Hwy 378 straight to MB, and somewhere in Columbia the road dead ended into the AFB, so you had to either turn right or left.

Of course I was a small kid back then, so I may have it confused.

Yep, I forgot to mention the part about the pond. The boardwalk went straight halfway across the pond, then turned 90 degrees to the right to go into the visitors center.

Actually, that particular Welcome Center was an official one affiliated with the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce. It closed in 2002 and its replacement center was a new building opened in 2003 along Rt 501 many miles the north, just south of Aynor, near the Intersection with Rt 22. The welcome center farther toward Myrtle Beach located off the main highway in a residential area (near Carolina Forest Boulevard) is privately owned and completely unaffiliated with any local agency.

Shaw AFB is still open - expanding, actually, for a much larger joint-service mission with a large influx of Army personnel and units in the process of relocating there from several Army bases. Our son still lives right across from the base, on the other side of Rt 378.

Shaw AFB is along Rt 378, on the outer west limits of Sumter, about 25 miles east of Columbia. Fort Jackson is just off Rt 378 in Columbia.

I'm sure of one thing - when I have to recall all the military bases - and OTHER places - I traveled through, visited, lived in, etc many years ago, I confuse a LOT of things. :dontknow: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 pm 

I remember passing up that one near Aynor, because it struck me as one of those time-share places that poses as an official welcome center.

Anyway, since you lived in Columbia, do you remember a particular restaurant called the Bounty? It was located on HWY 378 just outside of Columbia on a small lake. It has long since vanished, but I remember going there as a child, and the food was good.

The restaurant was inside a pirate ship and they had a seafood buffet.

Days Inn Waccamaw (1994)
Emerald Shores (2008)

My restaurant history:

Larry's Calabash
Benjamins Calabash
Filling Station
Southern Suppers
Gabby's Rib
Sea Trawler
Crabby Mikes
Ultimate CA Pizza