Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Every year since 1976
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:29 pm 

Myrtle Beach memories?? Wow, where do you even start? Since 1976, Myrtle Beach has been a huge part of my life. That was the year my grandfather was killed in a car accident. I was only 6 years old and the family was having a hard time dealing with his death. In need of a desperate getaway to help get things off their mind, my grandmother and my aunt decided to head for the ocean, as it had always been a source of comfort for them, both being from California and at that time recent transplants to Tennessee. California was obviously to far away and folks in Tennessee said "Go to Myrtle Beach!" Packing the car on the spur of the moment, and with no real plan, we headed east toward Myrtle Beach. I sweet talked my way into joining them. Little did I know how that one spur of the moment trip would forever help set the course for the rest of my life. With little money, we decided to camp and stayed at the KOA campground. I had never seen the ocean as I was born in Tennessee and to this day I will never forget that first awe-inspiring sight! I had no fear, and ran straight to the water much to the amusement of my family. That whole trip was one I'll never forget as we played in the sand, swam in the ocean, ate shrimp for the first time in my life and spent the evenings hanging out and seeing the sites around the Pavillion. I heard my first Carolina Beach Music song, Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy by the Tams. I was hooked! I was thrilled to ride the the rides at the Pavillion amusement park with it's rich history. Even on the one rainy day we had, it was a blast. We stayed in the tent and played cards and listened to our little radio while the rain beat away it's tempo on our canvas roof. That trip will forever be etched into my memory because to us in a time of hurt, it was almost like Myrtle Beach knew our pain, and embraced us with all of it's beauty and charm. Since that first time, we have always viewed Myrtle Beach, as I'm sure many do, as a refuge, a place to escape, a place to renew the spirit. I've returned to it's beautiful beaches every year since. First as a kid and teenager on our yearly family vacations and then later as a husband and father with my own family. The days of our summer vacation is over as we now perfer to visit in Oct., but you can count on it that we will be there every year. We still spend the days on the beach, and the evenings at Broadway at the Beach/Barefoot Landing or haniging out at the Cherry Grove pier and watching all the fisherman pull in what the sea has to offer, or maybe upholding a long standing tradition of cruising through the Gay Dolphin and buying some shells. And what would a trip be without dinner at least once at Ella's in Calabash? I cried when I learned they were tearin down the Pavillion, the site of so many good times as a teenager playing video games and trying to pick-up those beautiful Carolina girls under the moonlight. I went a week before the demolition to take pictures and soak it all in one more time. I sat on the benches facing the ocean behind the Pavillion and stared for hours, the memories rich in my brain. A nice lady passed by and obviously knew what I was going through as she offered to take a picture of me standing underneath one of the Pavillion signs. She looked at me and said " One last time?", and we both understood each other. I treasure that photo. I could go on and on but as I've already said, and rambled on about for far too long now, is that Myrtle Beach and the Carolinas is my home....at least in my mind. I have not been able to leave Tennessee but I spend my days after work here cruising around this message board and watching Myrtle Beach webcams. I listen to 94.9 the Surf radio station day and night as I am a die-hard Beach Music fan. I even look forward to visiting Judy's House of Oldies each Oct. to spend some of my hard earned dollars on those great CBM CD's. My collection, much to my wife's dismay, has grown quite large. Even here in the land of diehard Tennessee Vols fans, I myself am a HUGE South Carolina Gamecock fan and wear the garnet and black around Knoxville with pride! So with all that being said, Thank You Myrtle Beach. You will forever be in my heart and soul. Well, I think that is enough...gotto get to work on planning our next trip this Oct. to come back "home"!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:28 pm 

i loved your post!!!! as i think i have posted before my love of Myrtle beach was started and fostered by my grandparents starting in 1974... and having been there too many times to count since i have come to view MB as home as well.... over the years have i just everyone had so many glorious memories created there.... i have been fortunate to see many other beaches an many other places having traveled all over the country, however while some of the other places have been nice... some pretty... some very restfull... none have ever came close to touching my heart and soul the way that Myrtle Beach does every single time i am there... whether there in person... there via a beach web cam... there going along with someone on here through one of your wonderful trip reports..... on a personal note... TO ALL OF YOU THAT POST BE IT REGULARLY OR ONLY OCCASIONALLY..... ONE HUGE HEART FELT THANK YOU.... even the posts transport me to MB or remind me of a memory that i hadnt thought of for a while... so now i am a stay at home daddy to our two daughters (2 an 4) and so far thankfully they both are picking up my love of MB which as a parent nothing touches my heart more than to see them share in my excitement and love of MB..... take care and ill leave one of my thoughts...

Northern born and northen bred but when i die ill be Myrtle Beach dead!!

take care

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:50 pm 

beachbum4u07 wrote:
i loved your post!!!! as i think i have posted before my love of Myrtle beach was started and fostered by my grandparents starting in 1974... and having been there too many times to count since i have come to view MB as home as well.... over the years have i just everyone had so many glorious memories created there.... i have been fortunate to see many other beaches an many other places having traveled all over the country, however while some of the other places have been nice... some pretty... some very restfull... none have ever came close to touching my heart and soul the way that Myrtle Beach does every single time i am there... whether there in person... there via a beach web cam... there going along with someone on here through one of your wonderful trip reports..... on a personal note... TO ALL OF YOU THAT POST BE IT REGULARLY OR ONLY OCCASIONALLY..... ONE HUGE HEART FELT THANK YOU.... even the posts transport me to MB or remind me of a memory that i hadnt thought of for a while... so now i am a stay at home daddy to our two daughters (2 an 4) and so far thankfully they both are picking up my love of MB which as a parent nothing touches my heart more than to see them share in my excitement and love of MB..... take care and ill leave one of my thoughts...

Northern born and northen bred but when i die ill be Myrtle Beach dead!!

take care

Chris

You may be from the north, and I from the south, but it sounds like we are one and the same!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:18 pm 

i really think that is one thing that fascinates me... the way that Myrtle Beach can bring together people from different geographic locations and different walks of life... the way all it takes is to have the passion for MB...

take care

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:25 pm 

What a fantastic post. It almost brought tears to my eyes and I am pretty hard hearted (lol). I am a generation older than you but I too love Myrtle Beach. We are not fully retired so can not leave Sevier County for long periods of time. That said, we have rented a house in Surfside Beach for October thru December. In that period we will probably make seven or eight roundtrips to Myrtle Beach. It is over 800 miles R/t but worth every mile to spend time at the beach. We live here in the Pigeon Forge area. The mountains are beautiful but I am still a "beach girl" at heart.

Judy/Pigeon Forge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:35 pm 

El Ray I loved your report! That is a wonderful story of how your family discovered Myrtle Beach and continue to visit today. Thanks for sharing! However, from one Vol fan to another I am certain you know who coaches those Gamecocks :mad: :mad: Just kidding kinda :lol: We live and breath Rocky Top in our home.

Can't wait to hear your trip this fall.

Deanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:31 pm 

What a beautiful post! I have to admit... some of your memories made me tear up a bit - as they were memories of mine as well.

You have a beautiful writing style. Thank you for sharing your story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:57 am 

Beautiful post(s)! Really made me want to see MB right now, but know there will be plenty of years for it :) I really enjoyed the part about the Pavillion... I am a newer MB vacationer and never saw it, but hear all about it. Wish I could have seen it though.

Thanks so much for sharing, I felt like I was there with you.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:58 pm 

What beautiful thoughts and wonderful memories. It is so true about Myrtle Beach bringing people together. We are lucky enough to go for the month of March. We have met so many great people. Everyone seems to go into friendly mode at Myrtle Beach and I can't believe the love people have for the area, myself and my family included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Admin

El Ray, thanks for sharing your recollections. I know that many members here relate to your post, and I'm sure your October visit will leave you with even more happy memories.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall