Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hurricane Matthew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:03 pm 

Looks like Myrtle Beach will feel the effects of Hurricane Matthew. I hope it doesn't make landfall and stays over the water and passes y"all by

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.sh ... l#contents

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Matthew
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:50 am 

This is getting uglier by the day. Hope the unsettled weather currently in the midwest accelerates Eastward and keeps Matthew offshore ! Feel so sorry for Haiti, the country which can least afford this.

For any weather-nerds out there, this site has a very good analysis of why the forecasted path keeps changing: http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:55 pm 

I read that Haiti is still rebuilding from the earthquakes of 2010. Will they ever be finished rebuilding and get a break?

Hope for this to move off shore and stay there too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

You should have seen the lines at both Sam's and Costco today. I think everyone at the beach was buying bottled water and gas for their vehicles in case of evacuation.

We stayed here through Bonnie (98) and we evacuated for Floyd (99.) There has not been a hurricane since, so anyone who moved here after 99 has not experienced what a terrible experience it is getting out of MB. And getting back in was just as bad.

So let's hope it passes us by and goes out to sea.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:44 pm 

Oh geez.... this doesn't look good. Every forecast keeps moving West. Wish we could help you out Patrish !

And we are going to a Sunday wedding in Virginia Beach ! We shall see how that goes.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm 

We've got room for you Patrish. The storm won't get you up here :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:35 pm 

Governor Haley has ordered an evacuation of Zone A commencing on Wednesday, October 5th at 3PM. Please refer to the Horry County Emergency Management website for more information about zone evacuations.
REMEMBER
•Seure your home prior to evacuating.
•Put copies of important documents in a safe place, preferably a waterproof container. Important documents can include passports, birth certificates, insurance policies or anything else that might be needed immediately or cannot be easily replaced.
•If you choose to utilize a local shelter, please familiarize yourselves with their rules and regulations prior to arriving.
•Have a plan for your pets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:16 pm 

Stay safe Patrish & Wally! You are always welcome here in SE, OH!!!
:sad:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to everyone for your posts and support. We are hoping to stick it out here. I'll be in touch and let you know what's happening. Right now it's a big mess with crowded streets and Costco and Sams selling out of bottled water.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:08 am 

Patrish stay safe and keep us posted. We have friends that were headed that way on Saturday. Now they are thinking Sunday and I am not sure that is still going to enough time. We were in MB when Bertha was about to hit. We were issued a mandatory evacuation on Thursday of our weeks vacation. That was a sad sad day leaving the beach early. Patrish, I do remember the long lines of cars and it taking hours for us to get out. I can also remember looking out over the ocean and the skies were black. Such an eerie feeling.

Some of you mentioned Haiti. The company Doug and I work for actually has a plant in Haiti. Doug was down there two weeks ago. I have seen the pictures and it truly is a sad place on this earth. The people are just helpless. So much poverty and disease. People are lined up as many as 500 a day seeking work at our plant. We provide a meal and showers for employees. Doug was telling me that the meal we provide is most times the only food these people get every day. The showers are behind our plant and most people just shower off with their clothes on. The heat within the plant reaches 115 degrees most days. Doug says it is miserable.

We heard from the plant yesterday morning and everything was fine at that point. The plant managers had driven all of our employees and their families to higher ground to seek shelter in a school. We have not heard from them this morning and I am assuming phone lines and electricity are down. Please keep these people in your prayers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:25 am 
Site Admin

I feel so bad for the people in Haiti. They always seem to be the hardest hit, as well as the least financially to handle the concequences. I've often wondered why they don't sell some of that beach property to the all-inclusive resorts that are all over the Dominican Republic. The DR has become quite popular due to the location, climate and fairly inexpensive resorts compared to nearby islands.

I always worry about Jamaica since that's usually our February destination, so I always keep an eye of thier hurricane sttistics. They were fortunate this time with only some water and minimal structure damage.

Right now we're planning to sit tight in Myrtle Beach! :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:27 am 

Interesting feedack on Haiti, Deanna. Must be a heartbreaking place to visit. Jan has flown into Port-Au-Prince for work, but never stayed for an extended trip.

Here is an interesting article on the challenges of providing aid to Haiti:

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod ... ngs-better

Interesting the forecast image I posted above auto-updated to a better forecast for Myrtle Beach ! Let's stay tuned and hope it keeps improving !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:16 pm 

I've only posted once since we came home in July and the passing of my brother the following day. I've not done my trip report and may just skip it because frankly its a blur. BUT .. My main reason for coming on is to say I'm praying for all there. I've looked at the traffic cameras leading out and into Columbia and I just can't imagine.. and I mean we fuss at the traffic in the summer but hate to see everyone having to leave under these conditions. Please be safe on the roads. Patrish and wally our prayers are with you two as you wait this out. Please keep us all informed! We will be watching and praying!!

Carol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:36 pm 

Patrish & Wally we are thinking of you and pray you stay safe. We will be checking in on the message board to make sure all is well.
Dave & I are down in Central Florida right now. If we were on the coast we would have already left! We are supposed to get high winds and lots of rain. It sure doesn't look good for Myrtle Beach. I can't imagine what those waves will look like! They get high enough some days as it is.
Haiti is such a heartbreaking situation. :( Those poor people have so little and are faced with such devastation when they have not even recuperated from the last tragedy. So sad. Thanks for the insight Deanna.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Thanks to every one of you, my friends, for your thoughts and prayers. So far, so good.