Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 pm 

I know that many of you will remember the thread several several years ago titled "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" which was a big hit if I remember correctly. So many of us struggle with weight issues and there is nothing worse than being at the beach and feeling terrible about yourself. I did it for many years. So...I thought I would just throw out the topic of weight loss goals and see if anyone is interested. Thought it might be something to pass the time during these long winter months.

You know how some of you guys won't say the S..ow word....Well DIET is my word. I hate even the thoughts of it. But since I threw out this topic I guess I will confess. I was within 10 pounds of my goal weight last year at the beach and I be darn if I didn't decide to take a break from running last fall (don't get the wrong idea I am not a natural born runner I hobble along because it works for me). Worst mistake I have made in a while. I gained 15 and I am not just mad I am beyond mad at myself. So now I have to lose 25 pounds before my Vegas trip the end of April and then keep it off for the beach in July. :mad: I will do it though even if it kills me. :lol: You guys may have to remind me of that in about a month.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Deanna, I am sooooo glad you brought this old string back to life.

All though the end of last winter, into the spring, and through the summer, I put on weight. By the end of summer, I had a closet full of clothes that were too tight. OK...too tight may not be strong enough wording. I couldn't get my jeans pulled up over my thighs. I kept telling Wally "I need to lose weight." He would reply "Buy bigger clothes." I would look at myself in the mirror and say "YUK!" Now that I'm getting older, my skin is gravity-obsessed. I hate it! I didn't sign up for OLD AGE! Since I no longer have control over my body aging, I decided the only thing I still can control is how much I eat.

So, on Nov. 3, I started my diet. My incentive - my goal - was to lose 15 pounds by Feb. 1, when we leave for our annual Jamaica vacation. I e-mailed and called my brother who is a doctor. "Dale," I said, "I want some pills that will make me lose weight while I sleep." Of course he laughed at me. "Count calories," he said. "None of the fad diet will work. Stay away from 'whites' such as bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. and count calories whenever you can."

Between Nov 3 and today I have lost 10 pounds. I know it is said that 2 pounds a week is not an unreasonable goal, but mine has been more like 1 lb a week, probably because I refuse to totally starve myself. I'm hoping to lose the last 5 pounds this month, and January has 4 full weeks. It will be close, and if I don't make it, I think I'll be close.

So this is a great string to rekindle. You go, girl! I'll be your cheerleader, and you be mine!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:54 am 
Site Admin

It's not just the ladies that need to lose weight :BandHead: . For some of us, our lives depend on it. I'm having all I can do not to gain weight, let alone the fact that I need to lose at least 40 pounds :ac17[1]: .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 am 

C'mon now ladies - you have a cover story for weight gain.

Just tell everyone you're "expecting". I'm sure it would work (for a while) Image .

But us guys?

We can claim to be making medical history. But nobody would believe that one... :bootyshake: Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:24 am 

I'm with you Ron.... My downfall starts with leftover Halloween candy, then I slide the slippery slope through Thanksgiving's gravies, sweet potatoes, apple pies and into Christmas eggnog with assorted homemade goodies. :BandHead: So little will power.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 am 

Mike, there's nothing more humiliating than having someone say to you, "So when are you due?" when your last child was born 9 years ago and you're definitely not expecting another.

Almost as bad is when you're so heavy that after you have a baby, people say to you, "Gee, I didn't even realize you were pregnant!"

Deanna, thanks for starting this again. I had started the original thread and failed miserably at my weight loss. I was so thrilled, though, to read other people's success stories, especially Katie's. It's a never-ending battle with me so I don't even comment on it any more. Now I have arthritis in my hip so exercise can be difficult, although I have recently empowered myself to learn more about arthritis, what I can and cannot do, and have signed up for a "staying strong" class. I had my first one yesterday and I'm really feeling some unused muscles today! LOL.

I wish everyone the best of luck in your efforts.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:49 pm 

Patrish,
You lost 10 pounds over the holidays :nanner: That is almost unheard of. My goal was to maintain during the holidays and I almost did it. :roll: You can lose that last 5 this month. If you are like me a vacation always makes me put my dieting skills to work. I am always telling Doug I need to keep a vacation on the calender so I will watch my weight. :sunny:

And to the rest of you guys I know you have heard the saying "if I can do it anyone can". I was overweight for 20 years. I grew up in a family that never exercised and never thought about what we ate. After I had Ryan I ballooned and did nothing about it. I was depressed and desperate and used every excuse in the world. That is until 2 years ago when I joined Weight Watchers and started going to the gym with Doug & Ryan. Ryan was my inspiration...he pushed and pushed until finally it sank in that I could do it. The first time I tried to walk on a treadmill I couldn't walk a half mile and it took me almost a year to begin running. I lost 75 pounds and have kept 60 off. Is it a struggle...Heck Yes! I still fight the demon of self control and probably always will but I am determined to not be the fat girl any longer. Please don't think I am patting myself on the back. I just know that if this out of shape fat girl can somehow find the motivation to lose 75 pounds anyone can.

Last edited by Deanna on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, Deanna. I had not idea you lost 75 lbs! That's amazing, woman, and I admire you so much for the self-discipline and dedication it took! ! And, you've done an excellent job of keeping it off.

I hate it when people say to me, "Oh, you don't need to lose weight." They don't know I've had a spinal disk problem for many years, and I hardly ever bring it up. The doctors don't want to operate, and I've been told not to gain weight, suggestions on the best position for sleep to relieve pressure, and several helpful exercises. By the way, if anyone thinks 10 pounds doesn't make much of a difference, try carrying a 10 lb bag of flour in your arms instead of in your shopping cart throughout the supermarket.

I'm no authority on weight loss, but I am convinced that everyone who approaches a diet should have a reasonable goal. What works for Deanna (and for me) is knowing the dates of approaching vacations. I usually try not to let my weight exceed 10 lbs. because I'm not as disciplined as Deanna. And this time, 15 crept up on me. Ug.

Anyone have any favorite websites for fitness and/or weight loss?

I like Hungry Girl's "Girl's Bite Out" "Weekly Weigh-in" and "Chew the Right Thing"
http://www.hungry-girl.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:16 pm 

Dawne wrote:
Mike, there's nothing more humiliating than having someone say to you, "So when are you due?" when your last child was born 9 years ago and you're definitely not expecting another.

Almost as bad is when you're so heavy that after you have a baby, people say to you, "Gee, I didn't even realize you were pregnant!"...

Yep - I understand that. Luckily, I've never said anything of the sort (and never will).

I clearly remember that TV commercial (from about the late 60s to early 70's) that featured a rather snooty woman smirking while sarcastically asking another (unseen) woman:

"When are you expecting...Oh, you're NOT?!".

Lesson learned...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:22 am 

I'm so glad to see this thread revived! I start back to Weight Watchers on Tuesday with their new program.

My favorite weightloss site is:

http://www.sparkpeople.com

It's all free, and has a lot of the same features that the paid Weight Watchers site has including a recipe builder.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Jan, I like using Sparkpeople also!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 pm 

Love Hungry Girl, too! I have 3 of her cookbooks and use them all the time - lots of good recipes in there. I also get the daily email updates and Facebook. She is starting a new cooking show on the Food channel - Saturday is the first show, can't wait to see what its about! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:50 pm 

Ichiban wrote:
Jan, I like using Sparkpeople also!

Yeah! A fellow Sparky =))

micountrygal wrote:
She is starting a new cooking show on the Food channel - Saturday is the first show, can't wait to see what its about! :D

Just set the DVR to record it

Anyone take :bellydancer[1]: lessons??? Ron?? They actually have that on FiTV!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

You may laugh, but I saw them one day as I was surfing the channels. So I decided to see if I could do it, and I am hip swinging challenged :drinkin: . I do have plenty of belly for though :ac17[1]:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:43 am 

Get a Wii Fit and try the hula hoops..... talk about hip-challenged ! :hysterical:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next