Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unscheduled Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:20 am 

Well... Here I sit 13 days away from our trip to Cherry Grove, and yet I have no desire to go. We just got back from an unscheduled trip to Myrtle Beach. My dad had a massive stroke and was in Grand Strand Regional for 6 days before he passed away on Monday.

I know he would want me to still go on my vacation and that he would want me to have good time, but its going to be hard. Im just not into it knowing hes not going to be sitting right next to me , people watching and having a beverage or two. But, knowing my dad, if I didn't go because of something he did, he would haunt me the rest of my days.

I know im still going to go, but this year the beauty of the beach and each sunrise will have a different meaning to me. :angel7:

Post subject: Re: Unscheduled Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:57 am 

Oh I am so very sorry! I know how hard this will be for you. My dad loved MB and when he first passed it was very hard to be down. Everything reminded me of him.

BUT then I realized how much he loved MB and how he was still very very much with me. In my heart, in my memories, and in our shared love of the south.

You are probably 100% correct that he would want you to go. Let the things you shared with him bring a smile to your face as you recall the wonderful times you vacationed at the beach together. He would have wanted you to I'm sure.

Again, I am so so sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:50 pm 

Thank you for your kind words Emmy. I know he will be there with me in spirit . I am going to go and remember the good times we had. Its what he would have wanted......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

There's no doubt in my mind, that he'll be there with you :angel7: ! When sitting and having a drink while people watching, be sure to have one sitting there for your dad! He may not be able to drink it, but I bet it'll make him smile in Heaven :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:07 pm 

So sorry. I am sure going back to MB would be very difficult, especially with your dad's passing being so recent. When my dad passed away that first trip back was very sad, but he would have wanted us to go and enjoy our vacation. I still take a stroll on the beach by myself just to remember him and all the fun times we had on vacation. I have a feeling your dad would still want you to take your vacation, however it is only understandable if you decide it is just too soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:57 am 

Thank you for all of your kind words. We are still going as my step mom is going to have a small memorial on the beach for him, just as he wanted. Its not going to be the same with out him, but the memories we made there since I was a small child will last a lifetime...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:16 am 
Site Admin

This is going to be a tough trip for you....just like the first Christmas without him...the first birthday...the first Thanksgiving, etc. But I believe it is true that a man can die and yet live in others. Your most fundamental duty is to keep those memories alive. Memories are an essential weapon against the chaos of life and death - a way to ensure continuity from generation to generation. An endorsement of order and meaning. I like what Ron said...buy your dad his favorite beverage.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:34 pm 

I am sorry for your loss. This year will be a tough one because the memories will be flooding back. In years to come those same memories will bring you comfort. I am sure you are right, dad would want you to be there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:12 pm 

My sympathy too, I agree with what the others posted. A relative died of my husbands too last year, so it was a sad time for us too this year. We visited him for the last 20 yrs while at the beach, and now he was gone. It's hard, but the beach memorial sounds lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:02 pm 

So sorry for your loss. No matter what we say nothing makes it easier... but think of each sunrise as him telling you good morning and each wave from the ocean as him waving at you.. and happy your there!.. My dad had never been to MB and passed when I was young .. my last trip to MB with my father in law (so like a dad to me) we spent the last day on the beach longer than the rest of the crew and his feet burnt on the top so bad.. so lately..(guess my older skin) the tops of mine have been burning and I take that as a sign of him with me LOL.. little things...

I understand the pain but cherish what he loved about the beach and enjoy that! Hope that made some sense!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:05 am 

I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry:

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015