Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:30 pm 

I have always known that Myrtle Beach is very crowded the first two weeks of July, but I had no idea when I started calling for a friend of mine this week that I would not be able to find but one place for her family to stay after two hours of calling. I literally inquired about 50 places and they were all sold out. I am amazed! Is it always this busy during the later part of July?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

The 4th of July is always the busiest day, but huge crowds are here through the entire month. For the locals, our driving habits always change. If I have an appointment I know I have to leave earlier. I cringe if I know I am going to head south and will have to deal with the construction at Dick Pond Road. I keep my iPhone in the passenger seat at all time in case I have to let someone know I am running later. I am happy that Myrtle Beach attracts so many visitors. And as I local, I am happy when September gets here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:24 am 

Just for the fun of it checking rates eariler this week I checked 4 resorts and they were all booked through Sunday some of them had their condos booked into mid Sept.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:33 pm 

Patrish... I too am glad to see September get here.. because that's when we come to MB!!! LOL.. So excited 49 days!!! We still have nice hot days and no crowds!!

Carol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:07 pm 

I guess I am just surprised :roll: I have always thought that if Doug and I just got in the car and headed that way we could always find a room (early July excluded). Now I am not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Deanna, I think you could find a room. Hotels often "hold" a room, even though they say they are full. This is usually a handicap room, and if they haven't sold it they will let it go to people who show up late, desperate for a room.

Carol, our most favorite months are Sept. and Oct. We love the slower pace and not having to wait to get into the restaurants!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:20 pm 

I've only been to MB during Sept & Oct.
Wouldn't know what it's like during the summer.
Probably too hot for me.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:03 pm 

I'm a little surprised because we just got back. Was in NMB from 7/18 to 7/25 and lots of Vacancy signs were lit. Now, we arrived Friday 7/17 and a ton of resorts had No Vacancy, but seem to lighten up on Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 am 

Ive not did the "drive down and hope for a room" in a long time. I guess if has actually been 20+ years since we did that. It was with a group of friends, but I do remember not being able to find anything decent for over three nights at a time. Keep in mind that the pavilion was still going strong and we wanted to be close to town, but we did end up moving hotels about three times that year. I personally didn't find if to be any more crowded in June of this year than any previous years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:38 am 
Site Admin

I'm most aware of crowds when I'm on the highway...especially if it's a rainy day and people are looking to do things that don't involve the beach. It is what it is, and the traffic patterns change often. For almost 3 years they were working on the intersection at Farrow Parkway and 17. We not so lovingly called it the "5 minute light." Now it's a breeze, and the construction on Dick Pond Road has taken its place as my most disliked road.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:44 am 

This probably won't help Deanna's friend (since it's the end of July already.... eeks !), but there is a Phone App named "Hotel Tonight" for those wanting to do the last-minute travel scenario. Type in the city and it lists hotels with vacancies for the next few nights.

Disclaimer... I have not used it in Myrtle Beach, but it did provide good options when we were unexpectedly stuck in Miami.

As for the crowds.... we live near a highway which connects Maryland, Virginia and points West to the Maryland/Delaware beaches (Ocean City, Bethany, etc). A nice bottleneck occurs in the Annapolis area due to our proximity to the Bay Bridge which crosses the Chesapeake Bay. The July traffic around here has been INSANE due to the tourists backups. Beach traffic has always been bad, but this years seems to be even worse......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:49 pm 

Kirk,

That is great to know about the app.