Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:39 am 

Hi , we are taking our first trip to Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge TN area in early August. We wanted to do something different from the beach for our big trip . I've seen some members are from near this area or have traveled here and was looking for any advice or tips that folks have. We are staying in a cabin in the woods in the Wears Valley so it's a little removed from all the commotion. On our itinerary are definitely exploring the great smokey mountain national park and cade's cove , going to Dolleywood one day, trying out one of the mountain coasters, mini golf/go carts, and going river tubing and just some picnicking/creek wading and taking in some of the scenery. Open to all suggestions of places to visit or make the trip easier and places to eat- we love very casual southern places and seafood (not so much chain restaurants). Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 am 

We enjoy the aerial tram ride up to OBER GATLINBURG...not a lot up there...ski area...but the views are great...even in the summer...not expensive...and tickets are good for multiple trips for 24 hours...hope you have a great trip!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:03 pm 

Can't help with the summer months .. we have only been there during the winter months and was there for the winter parade .. all the decorations were amazing!! Just thought I would throw that in!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:53 pm 

Alpine Mtn Coaster there in Wears Valley is a fun one time ride IMO. I havent ridden the new one in Gatlinburg yet.

As for go carts, there are plenty of selections but Blake Jones Go Cart track can be the best. Generally a quick set of cars on a figure 8 track that occasionally they will toss some water onto the track creating some mayhem which is fun.

There is a restaurant in actual town area of Sevierville getting great reviews that I hope to try soon when down there. Holstons: http://www.yelp.com/biz/holstons-kitchen-sevierville The Hawaiian ribeye is what I have my eye on.

Theres good food in Dollywood to be had also. If you like country style food, Aunt Grannys buffet will definitely offer you the chance to get your moneys worth of fried chicken and other goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:57 pm 

I have also rode the Wears Valley coaster. Lots of fun. Sounds like you have a full agenda. Hopefully you have Cades Cove in your plans and also maybe a ride over the mountain to Cherokee, NC. I never take a trip to the area without going to the Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg. YUM!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:16 am 

Our family makes at least one long weekend trip to the area every year. My biggest piece of advice - get yourself a good local map that shows the roads behind either side of the Parkway in Pigeon Forge. You can save yourself a lot of sitting in traffic once you learn how to get around. We travel from West Virginia, and we typically stop at the rest area going into Tennessee from I-81. You can usually find a couple different pamphlets that will have great maps in them.

Lots of great places to eat - some of our favorites are Calhoun's, Old Mill, Applebarn, and Bennett's. Have a great time!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:33 pm 

What he said! Back roads are the key to traveling around Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. If it is your first time visiting you need to go down Winfield Parkway just to see what tracks and what not you want to see but other than that back roads are the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:51 pm 

If you need any additional information on the area please feel free to PM me. I live off of Wears Valley Blvd (Hwy 321) about 2 miles from the Parkway. A number of our friends live out in Wears Valley and it is a beautiful area. There is a picnic area out there called Metcalf Bottoms that is really nice. Been there numerous times and only twice have we been run off by bears. Someone mentioned Holston's restaurant in Sevierville. It is a locals favorite and the food is very good. There is a new large restaurant that opened about a month ago called Harpoon Harry's. It supposedly can hold up to 600 people. It has opened with big crowds. Upper level bar that you can see from the street that is getting good reviews. Food is suppose to be good. Of course the Island with the Big Wheel is the place to be. Paula Dean's opened a month or two ago. It is family style and not inexpensive. If you are a fan you might want to give it a try. Heard the fried chicken is very good. I know lunch is $17.99 (without drink) and I think dinner is $22.99 (without drink). The waits have been long on the weekends. Lots of nice shops and a great area to people watch at the Island. The Dancing fountains are great especially at night. In my opinion Margaritaville at the Island is overpriced with average food. Nice place to go if you are a Jimmy Buffett fan (I am) Expect to pay about $35. to $40 for two people for lunch. Another in my opinion, good choice for a nice meal, is the Old Mill Potter House Cafe and Grille. Food is very good and prices are reasonable. Not to be confused with the Old Mill Restaurant. I know you will have a great time. The schools here go back early in August so it is a good month to visit. Definitely not as busy as June and July. Looking forward to your trip report. As far as my recommendations please remember I am pretty old so my ideas of good could be different than yours (lol),

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:11 pm 

Judy,

I have got to check out the Cafe and Grill. I have seen it before and never gave it a try. Thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:29 pm 

Ditto the comments on The Island. It will remind you a little of Barefoot and Broadway. Great new addition to the area.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:20 am 

Thanks for all the great advice. We can't wait for the trip and all the restaurant recommendations sound yummy. We look forward to also doing some picniking and stopping and wading in some creeks & rivers. Would it be best to have water shoes for this?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:05 pm 

live in Corryton and have Dollywood/splash pass. What everyone is saying about the back roads...learn is a must!! They are working on almost all the roads. Should not be as bad at the time you will be here. Food if you like buffet- golden corral, try one of the dinner shows stop and get coupons they will help save but stop after you come OVER the top of the hill from the interstate, that's where the real welcome center is, not the log cabin looking one on the hill. If you are drinkers save your money do not buy at the smoky mountain brewery, they sell very weak moonshine. Dollywood will be great around that time. Most of all have fun!!!! Enjoy Tennessee and go Vols!!!! :cheerleader:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:55 pm 

Oh yes!!! Go Vols! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 pm 

GBO!!