Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pikevile, KY
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:50 pm 

MBKY,
Are you in Pikeville?
Thinking about running down next month for Marshall Tucker concert.
Any good motels down there?
Been over twenty years since I've been down there and Pikeville Motel at south end of town was all there was back in the day......

Post subject: Re: Pikevile, KY
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:09 pm 

I can help -- the Hampton Inn is really nice and within walking distance from the Expo Center. We've stayed there a couple times in the past year - there was a really great Mexican restaurant close by, too, if it's still open - was super good!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 pm 

micountrygal wrote:
I can help -- the Hampton Inn is really nice and within walking distance from the Expo Center. We've stayed there a couple times in the past year - there was a really great Mexican restaurant close by, too, if it's still open - was super good!

Learned a lesson last year. Saw Jimmy Buffett two hours from house. Instead of getting a room I felt comfortable driving home. Bad move. Days of driving without sleep have long passed. Slept in convenience store parking lot........

Supply company I drove for years ago had a location in Pikeville. I'd be down there 2-3 times a week.
They were just putting finishing touches on the four lane by-pass around town last time I was there.
I don't know how true the story was but way I heard it they re-routed the river. Dirt removed for the hi-way project was supposed to fill in the old river bed creating more flat land in town.
Last time I was there they still had a lot of river bed and no more dirt. Heard the engineers miscalculated by a few million cubic yards. You know. Those nasty decimal points. Put one in wrong place and bam. You're looking for a new job.
From what I'm seeing the concert is outside at a park built on the river fill.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 pm 

I'm not that close to Pikeville. A former Governor from a few years ago was from there, so that usually means a lot of money was put into that area. That's how they got the expo center I do believe. I assume they have a few nice accommodations to go along with the center. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:06 am 

I live in down town Pikeville... and we have a Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn within walking distance of the Expo... and a new shopping strip by Wal Mart but we don't have a lot.. Still a small little but very clean city .. There is construction going on at the college across the street from Hampton/Hilton and apparently they are behind schedule because they have been working really late and even weekends. Holiday Inn Express is fairly new and Brookshire Inn is pretty good from what I hear but the only downfall is they are both close to the railroad and the trains will wake you if you aren't use to it.... Hope that helps!!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm 

luvmb wrote:
I live in down town Pikeville... and we have a Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn within walking distance of the Expo... and a new shopping strip by Wal Mart but we don't have a lot.. Still a small little but very clean city .. There is construction going on at the college across the street from Hampton/Hilton and apparently they are behind schedule because they have been working really late and even weekends. Holiday Inn Express is fairly new and Brookshire Inn is pretty good from what I hear but the only downfall is they are both close to the railroad and the trains will wake you if you aren't use to it.... Hope that helps!!

See. I knew there was somebody on the board from there. And there was a MB in their name. I'm not losing it after all.
Thanks to both of you for the info......

Took me couple days but have tickets and booked Hampton.
Should be a walk down memory lane. Late 70's directions through Pikeville were pretty much "Turn right at the light......."

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:40 pm 

LOLOL .. yep.. when you go out the door of the Hampton.. turn right (about a block) then turn right at the light..LOLOL... can't get lost here!! Hope you have a good time!!!

Carol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:06 pm 

luvmb,
Knowing what I know now wish I'd tried setting up a mini-meet-up while down there. Had a very enjoyable trip. Great little 24 hour mini-vacation.
Back in the day it was a hard three hour drive down didn't matter which way you ran it. RT119 or RT23. 119 is complete now so it was no brainer. Easy 2 hour drive.
Before they completed by-pass, 23/119 ran down South Mayo Trail. Our company had the large brick building across highway from Hatfield-McCoy Lodge south of town. Would park on median strip and they'd run fork truck out on road to unload me. Way too much traffic on that road now for that foolishness.
This was my first time over in "downtown". Took a few minutes to get bearings. Really reminded me of a small version of Market Common at the beach. Very clean. No trash or litter. All store fronts looked occupied by either doctors, lawyers or the school. Benches and tables all through town with people just sitting and enjoying being out. Not sure what the town's fascination with bears is but it was a nice touch.
Walked a block from hotel to Bank 253 for dinner and then another two blocks to the show.
Show was great. Women next to us drove down from Indy just spur of the moment and had nothing but good things to say about the trip. Another bunch had been to the band's Fri night show and decided to drive four hours to see them again on Sat.
Felt very safe walking back through town to hotel after the show. No fear of mugging. Did have cop question me for walking out of concert with a can.....Of Pepsi. He thought I was under aged.......
Have to keep eye out for future shows. Wouldn't mind doing it again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:24 pm 

I live about an 1:15 from Pikeville but dont go that way much. I have had quite a few friends go to concerts there and have always heard great things about how things are run there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:02 am 

The closest concert venue to me is in Corbin , KY. I assume it is similar to what Pikeville has. I don't listen to a lot of country music, but I believe they have some decent acts come to town. The arena is located just off I-75 and Corbin is pretty much dead center at the halfway point of Lexington, KY and Knoxville , TN.

Another thing they are getting ready to build in Corbin is a quarter horse track. Keeneland race track is the people putting it in, so it will no doubt be a top notch facility. For anyone taking I-75 to the beach this is something you may be interested in doing on the way down or back. Another interesting thing about the Corbin exit is many people exit here off of I-75 to head east to the Carolinas. They can take exit 29 to 25 E and follow it to Morristown TN and access I-81 to I-40. Will knock off a few miles of the drive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:16 am 

pop2748... Glad you had a good time... we had actually forgot about the concert. Was it outside or in the expo? We drove by once and they had main street blocked off .. we thought maybe it was the car show. Then around 9 or so we were back through and everything was cleared out. We are just a few blocks past Hardees. Our little town is always so clean and we do have wonderful crew of city workers that keeps it that way. During the 3/4 days of Hillbilly Days in April and there is vendors from the police station to the hotel where you were and down by the park, in the parking garage and down main street, plus the riverfill filled with the carnival.. the day after that is over you would never know anything had gone on here. The Bears... well from what I've heard is because the college..UPike (use to be Pikeville College) is the Bears... and they were all projects of the art students. There are about 8 different ones I think.. Kinda our version of Lexington's horses lol Bank 253 we have never ate at... LOLOL... we keep saying we are going to but haven't yet. We went to Chicago concert at the expo last Sept and it was wonderful!!! Haven't heard anything about any new shows coming yet.

Carol