Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beach Week
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:17 pm 

This week is Beach Week on the Travel Channel. The last four nights were a countdown of the top 101 Sun And Sand Hot Spots in the world. I was surprised that Myrtle Beach didn't crack the list. Virginia Beach, Kitty Hawk, Ocean City and Rehoboth Beaches all made the list so imagine how baffled I am after all of those. To each their own I guess.

Post subject: Re: Beach Week
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Kitty Hawk? Give me a break! I wonder who decides these things.

I had an e-mail conversation recently with an old friend. We were discussing the fact that Myrtle Beach didn't make a list of favorites.

Me:
BTW, Myrtle didn't even make the list of Trip Advisor's top 25 U.S. beaches in 2013:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches

My friend's reply:
Kind of shocking that they left Sarasota/Siesta Key off the Top 10 Beach list. These top 10 lists are so skewed anyway. They probably have a committee of 5 people in a conference room and use the subjective process of, "Oh yeah, I was there once and it rained all week. Take it off the list" for picking these things. Siesta Key has been rated the Number 1 beach in the country constantly for the past 10 years. Okay, maybe they don't want to give it the top rating but at least include it on a list of the top 10, for crying out loud. So when I see these things I just kind of roll my eyes and chuckle. It's kind of like the Sun News "Best of the Beach" awards in Myrtle. That thing is absurd because of the ballot box stuffing that goes on. You have some winners there that no one's even heard of. :-)

Me:
I think FunBeaches could do a top 10 of anything considered "beachy." (Who would question a domain name like "FunBeaches'?) You and I could pick our favorites. We might even allow our spouses to name a few favorites, just to increase the number of honest voters. Then we'd add some photos, since between us we have plenty. Maybe it would go viral on FaceBook or Twitter. Perhaps we could slap a few in-your-face ads on each of the "winners" pages. Then. of course, we would contact some of the resorts we magnanimously mentioned as good places to stay while at a particular beach, and ask for a couple rooms for a night or two. Sounds like a plan!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:42 am 

You know all these visitors keep coming to MB because it's a really lousy place to visit. :roll:

You really find some bad "best of" rankings throughout the internet. Doesn't matter if it's a phone, car, or vacation destination. A whole lot of bias in many of these. I would assume that the Travel Channel plays a whole lot toward it's viewing and advertising market with any rankings it puts out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:47 am 

I think what really raised my eyebrows was that some obscure beach in Greece was the #1 destination. Coincidence that Greece is in huge financial trouble and tourism is being promoted right now? I think not.

For the price, Myrtle is still the best option for my family and I right now. While we have a young child and we're still young at heart ourselves, Kristi and I can't fathom going to such places as Kitty Hawk due to pure boredom. I love the beach no doubt but day after day of sitting on it with nothing to do just won't cut it. Besides, Myrtle doesn't have a GREAT sandy area to set up an umbrella and park your ass on a chair. Myrtle is more than that as we all know. It's a great beach DESTINATION.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:47 am 

Well said phroggy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 am 

Yep 11 to 13 million people every yr come down to MB and keep coming back for generations because its not a top 100 beach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:50 am 
Site Admin

MBKY - Yes, I agree that it's mostly based on advertising revenue. Of course, some business names are reputable, but there are a lot of URLs I don't recognize. That's why I said what I did about FunBeaches. It was in jest, but I truly think if I contacted a few chambers of commerce in various beach locations throughout the US, they would pay me and/or arrange places to stay and things to do to in order to have their beach listed as a "top favorite" with a website named FunBeaches. The higher the ranking, the more money I'm paid. Hummm….even perhaps (?) the site I've complained about before, our very own local VisitMyrtleBeach!
http://www.funbeaches.com/dont-believe.html

Phroggy, well put!

All comments in this string have been very good and well thought-out. Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:00 pm 

As I've posted on here before. We used to come down the same time of year with another family from our town. They brought mamaws, aunts, uncles, cousins, and maybe even the dogs with them. They loved the MB vacation as much as we did. The only difference was that they spent 9 hours on the beach to our 3. Didn't play any golf, ate out only a couple of nights of the trip, and only went shopping only one or two nights. They primarily came to MB to lay on beach most of the day. Then one year they went down to Destin and it became "the best beach". Destin has very little to do compared to MB, but with them spending so much time at the actual beach, those thing were not as important. My only argument is that in MB you can still spend all day on the beach, yet have other options after that.

My brother went to Charleston last year after the plans for a "whole" family vacation fell through. They thought the area was nice, but the beaches were just as crowded as what you find in MB. Their kids were more than bored due to lack of activities in the area, and they have decided to go back to MB for this years vacation.

The Travel Channel best of beaches may have more to do with the actual beach as it does with the town the beach is in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:47 pm 
Forum Support

This is sort-of related to what is being discussed, so stay with me. lol With regards to what Patrish said about her "Don't Believe" page.

The same can be said for Amazon.com. I have recently found out because of my blog, that many reviews on Amazon are bought. They give out free product in exchange for a honest review. (which how honest are they when they don't want you to rate it at anything besides 4 or 5) They also have you put the item on your wish list, so that it appears to be a most wanted product. So that it also appears higher in the Amazon search ranking. People are suppose to disclose that they got the product for free, but many don't. Even if they do, many don't read it. They just go by how many reviews for the product and how many stars the product has. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:08 pm 

I'm certainly not an expert on what the "best beach" in the country or the world is. But I am an expert on what my wife and I think is the best. We live a few hours drive from the California beaches...."Surf City USA"....Newport Beach, San Diego, LaJolla, etc. And yet when we want to go to the beach, we fly clear across the country to go to Myrtle Beach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

AZ, that's quite a testimonial.

I have been to LaJolla twice and I thought I could be very happy there....if I were a millionaire! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Melissa:
>...The same can be said for Amazon.com. I have recently found...

That's very interesting. Sure, I have bought stuff on Amazon, but I never thought that people might get paid for ratings....and that's the same principle as people being paid to rate places or things. Sad, but true.