Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Family
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:28 am 

For the last few years, my parents have been wanting my sister, my brother and I to vacation with them to Myrtle. I can't fathom spending an entire week with these people though. My sister is an uppity, arrogant person whose kids are the angels of my mother's life. Neither my step son nor my brother's adopted kids are treated even remotely the same as her boys. My brother and my sister don't get along too well and my mother and brother don't see eye to eye either. My mother also does not approve of my choice in significant other even though she's the one who introduced us to each other. My dad is a great guy but just goes along with everything my mother says and does. I love my parents but they drive me nuts. More than a couple of hours with them is pure torture.

My parents and sister have gone to Myrtle together twice in the last two years and are going again this year. So, just to be a bunch of antagonizing jerks, my brother and his family are planning on going with Kristi, Devin and I in August. My brother and family have always gone to Bethany Beach in Delaware and Kristi and I are trying to convince them to hit up Myrtle. It's a war as my brother and I are both set in our ways. My fear is boredom in Delaware. There's not much to do there and it's pretty expensive for what it is. My sister in law is on board with Myrtle but thinks we may not be able to convince his Highness. Anyone ever had to do this kind of thing before?

Post subject: Re: Family
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:29 am 

My Dad used to drive me crazy, too. At times it seemed somewhat like torture to be around him. Then one day, he wasn't there anymore. And I found myself willing to give anything if I could just be with him again. When I thought about it, it really wasn't his fault. It was mine. I was always too busy with other things and I didn't want to be bothered. And I realized he wasn't truly a bother.....he just wanted to be part of my life. There are some things I wish I could do over again, but it's too late now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:24 pm 

Please know the input I am giving is laced with kindness and understanding :sunny:

An intelligent man once said and I quote...

"Anyway, I'm going to make an attempt at being more positive this coming new year and not solely when I'm on vacation. I've a young healthy life in my hands that I can hopefully evolve into a young, healthy positive life."

This may be a perfect time to put that resolution to work for you :wink: !!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:41 pm 

Yeah man, bite the bullet and make the trip. You and I are probably around the same age and our parents are getting a little older and not many chances left for "healthy years" of vacation. As much as it is it seems to be a pain in the rear at times, it probably means a lot more to your mom than you think. Everyone has faults, but don't give up something that you may regret later on. Just make sure you drive separate vehicles, so you can do your own thing when you want to. It's still Myrtle Beach after all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:10 pm 

While my family isn't quite as contentious, we follow the mantra of family and fish.... they both start to stink after 3 days. My mother is planning a family reunion this Sept/Oct in Edisto Isle, SC. Renting 3 houses for 24 people, but Jan and I are just going to rent a 2 BR condo so we can be alone when we need it (she more than I).

Can you all swing separate accommodation so you aren't all on top of each other ?

Good Luck !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with everything MBKY said.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 am 

Thank you all for your input. And Emmy, I know you have good intentions. While you and I have had our "differences", I still respect you and your opinions. I'll take all this into consideration for 2016 as this year is more or less planned out already.

I think I've possibly said too much as it is and I'll stop while I'm behind. I'll leave the door open for the possibility of a big ole family trip but I wouldn't bet on it.

KirkG nailed it though. I've used the fish saying for years and it's so true. There's no way I'd stay in the same unit with all these folks. A little beach time and perhaps a dinner or two together.....

In the end though, what kind of "family" trip is that if you can't stand being around each other?