Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resolution
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:48 am 

Saturday night marked our annual Christmas dinner with my boss and coworkers. Of course, I was a sour SOB seeing as how we surpassed last year's numbers almost a month ago and once again we're ignored about the accomplishment. Dinner quality was so-so and the company attending was tolerable thanks to alcohol. After we all finished our meals, the bill arrived, it was signed for and we sat in that awkward silence for roughly 15 seconds like "ok, now what?". I made the executive decision, grabbed my coat and announced that I'm leaving. No sense in MAKING conversation especially when my unhappiness coupled with a slight buzz may make me lose my ability to not say something stupid.

As usual, I didn't sleep well that night. Not only was I dehydrated from booze and beer, my mind was racing with stressful thoughts. I've had a lot of negativity in my life and it's extremely rare that I see anything positive. It's hard for me to deny reality and have happy thoughts when the potential of the outcome can be so grim. I guess I make my own misery much to the dismay of my own conscience. I hate when people get the "poor me" attitude... like my boss. So with that realization, I have no choice but to be more positive and play the hand I'm dealt.

Anyway, I'm going to make an attempt at being more positive this coming new year and not solely when I'm on vacation. I've a young healthy life in my hands that I can hopefully evolve into a young, healthy positive life. Hopefully, the rest of you have some resolutions that you'd like to share on here and we can help push you to make it happen. Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Resolution
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 am 
Site Admin

The first thing I do in the morning after getting a cup of coffee is head for the computer and log on to the message board.

How good it was to see your post. It has made my day a little brighter! Thank you for posting it.

I'm not much on New Years Resolutions, but a couple years I made one that I've tried to keep. And when I follow through, which isn't nearly enough, I feel better about myself. It's "pay it forward." Instances - a young man at the Beach BBQ talking on his phone and telling someone he was coming home soon. He didn't have enough money to buy something to eat or drink, and he was hungry. I gave him $10 and told him I overheard him talking. He looked at me like I must be nuts, but he smiled and said thank you. Other instances at Wal-Mart checkout or fast food restaurants. Actually, the opportunities don't arise as often as I thought they would.

Additionally, Wally and I volunteer on Christmas Day to help the local Red Cross with their annual dinner where they serve 5,000+ meals from three local churches. We've been doing this since 2009 and make it a resolution each year.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:40 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Qu├ębec
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Recently, I was watching the show Fixer Upper with my sweetie, and Joanna (the female partner on the show) installed a sign on the wall that said "Today Is A Good Day For A Good Day".

As the Treasurer of our HOA, I had been experiencing troubling events with one of our neighbors in the last few months, and it was eating at me, in such a way that I was starting my days in a sour mood, which affected my demeanor and my relationships with my husband.
Seeing that sign was life changing to me.

Ever since, when I wake up in the morning, I smile, come downstairs to feed our funny little cat, and say "Today Is A Good Day For A Good Day".
And it is. Every day is a good day, if I want it to be. It starts with me.
Have a great day, fellow board members. :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:53 pm 

My sister was recently laid off and was having a tough time with negativity. She ended up writing a book of spiritual and positive prose. My favorite:

Be Positive NOW

Reminds me that it is a choice..... which can be made anytime.... and the sooner the better :nanner:

Also, with the never-ending flood of info from the internet "news sources", you need to remember that not everything is as horrible as CNN/Fox/ABC/NBC/etc make the world out to be. Unfortunately bad-news sells so that's what they push. Try downloading a motivational app like "Inspire Me". It's filled with successful people writing quick articles about 500 words long. Quick to read and very motivational.

Cheers ! :sunny:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:31 pm 

Phroggy, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. I admire your candor and your determination to make life better. Life is what you make it. You can dwell on the bad stuff or focus on the good stuff. My husband is a case in point. He was emotionally and physically pretty miserable for a number of years. He turned off the TV, got rid of tons of stuff and is feeling better than he has in many years. He gets up early and enjoys every minute of every day. Of course the medication and daily glass of wine may be helping (lol).

I always like the saying at the end of Christine's posts - A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity and optimist see the opportunity in every difficulty. - Winston Churchill

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:39 am 

That saying has always stuck with me as it is so true. Attitude is so important and determines how your day will go. Great resolution Phroggy. Sometimes we just have to take the time to stop, reflect and be thankful for all we have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:23 pm 

Phroggy, hope the year is good for you. Believe me, me and my husband went thru ALOT of difficulties , job loss, a major health diagnosis and life style change for someone, a major work injury, a car wreck almost taking my son's life, etc etc etc.

I guess most people have some problems, and I know there are some people who all seems to go well for them.

I understand the PESSIMIST because I am one!!

I guess it 's good that my husband is an OPTIMIST!

I'll keep you in my prayers, that things go well for you whatever the circumstances.

Throughout our extended family, there are still problems which I won't go into detail, but we just hope things get better.

One thing I did get better about is not to worry as much, because my husband said it does not change the outcome and that is true.

Hope all goes well for all message board members.

P.S. Okay Phroggy, maybe your year is going better than mine so far. I had to buy a new dryer yest, and my old one was only 6 yrs old. This is dryer number 4 since 1977!! The first one lasted almost 20 yrs, then the life span shortens with each one we buy. JUNK is being made.

Bought a washer in August, number 4, a new stove a year ago, a dishwasher, because they all broke. $$$$$ :shock: We buy good items too, not junk, at leat it's not supposed to be.

A man I knew for 50 yrs, who I grew up next door to, died 2 days after Christmas, and I went to a funeral New Years Eve Day. An uncle who we loved died and was buried yesterday, and it greatly saddens me. Every year when we go to the beach, we wont' be able to visit him near Charleston.

I'm just trying to make you feel better. This pessimist probably made you feel worse, maybe not. take care.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:30 pm 

Cathy, you have really had your plate full. It sounds as if you have had 10 years worth of troubles and I wish you a more peaceful 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 pm 

You know, I don't view myself as a pessimist. I'm a realist. I know, it's rather cliche' but it really is true. The last 20 some years has been me looking for what IS and what could go wrong so as not to experience disappointment. I hope for the best but always expect the worst. I'm never let down. BUT, this year, I'm not expecting the worst. I'm still not going to get my hopes up about ANYTHING but I'm not looking for what could go wrong. I'll play the cards I'm dealt and see what happens. You're right: worrying doesn't change the outcome. This advice really could cure my chronic mild depression. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:45 pm 

You made me laugh phroggy. I'm usually grumpy and not overly friendly. Your story reminded me of my efforts of being nice in a Walmart parking lot back in October. I tried, didn't go well and from now on, I'm going to continue being myself.

Good for you on that executive decision. Foods eaten, booze has been drunk and the bill is paid....I'm out of here !!! :nanner:

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album