Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:05 am 

I know all of you are beach lovers or you probably would not be on this board. What happens when you travel to the beach with friends/family that are not that fond of sun, sand and water. Over the years we have been to beaches with people like that. My husband is somewhat like that but has been know to stay on the beach for hours. Of course he most likely is in long pants, real shoes, etc. Me, I could stay out there from dawn to dusk. We went to Emerald Isle, NC years ago and rented a house on the beach with four other couples. One of them was happy to stay indoors most of the day and watch Court TV. Most of the others spent very limited time on the beach. I asked myself why did we go to the beach?? We did make some side trips. I was disappointed that the beach time was so limited. In a case like that is it rude to stay back and be on the beach while everyone else does some tourist attraction? This has happened to us numerous times in Myrtle Beach when we have friends with us. Many of them would rather be shopping, etc. I need my beach therapy so how does one get their beach time without being rude? That is why I sometimes prefer a beach trip with just the two of us.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:11 am 

A friend of mine who used to go to MB with us was like that. He'd wake up around 1 pm, eat all the food in the condo, slam beers, and then come down as we were going back up to the room. He hated the beach itself, but would stay in the ocean. It used to irritate me as I'd be up and about by 9 at least everyday and down the beach/pool area by 10-10:30. Different personal lifestyles, but I guess that was vacation for him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:43 am 

We simply would not go with friends that did not like the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:24 pm 

We don't travel to the beach with friends or family. I'm pretty set in my ways, and frankly Misti and I enjoy doing things our way. It would drive me crazy to be with someone who did not like the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:22 pm 

Actually ON the beach? Nope, that's not me. I would totally sunburn in minutes regardless of how much SPF 50 I put on. :) I bring my laptop and watch Netflix, do some web surfing and work on the websites I take care of. Kind of a working vacation. Barb will hit the beach and lay down there from when she gets up until she gets hungry at lunch. Then we go out and eat and start our shopping. I've been vacationing in Myrtle Beach since 2004 and have only been in the ocean twice. It works for us.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:53 pm 

I don't think it's rude to be on the beach while others in your party stay back. It's their vacation too, so they should feel free to do whatever they want during the time they're down there. At the same time, you shouldn't feel obligated to skip the beach if they don't want to go. You don't have to do everything together, in my opinion.

A couple of years ago some family members were down with my parents and I and one family member went down to our spot on the beach only once, while the rest of us went down there every morning. Sometimes she slept in, other times she got up early to get breakfast by herself, take a drive and explore the area, etc. It didn't bother us. Sometimes after dinner, my parents and I will take a walk on the beach at night. The family members were with weren't really into that, so while we headed to the beach, they went out for ice cream or did some shopping or went to see a movie.

We did a lot of stuff together for the most part, but if someone wanted to go off and do their own thing, no one had a problem with it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:00 pm 

Thank you for all the insight and input. I know everyone is different. Dbusguy, you sound like a lot younger version of my husband. He loves Myrtle Beach but is not a big "beach" fan. I know the problem is more with me as I always feel I have to be the "hostest with the mostest". I am continually making sure everyone is happy and fed. Always want to have a plan of the day, instead of just letting things play out. I just truly love the ocean, the sand and the sun. I get excited to find sand in a purse months after our trip.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:57 pm 

my husband is not a beach lover ...so he only comes with me every other year...when he does come we do tend to do something that is fun for him one day then i can do my beach thing the next day...or as we are doing on our upcoming fall trip...we do a combo trip...the first few days we will spend in the North Carolina montains on the Blue Ridge Parkway...then the rest of the trip we will be at the Compass Cove...

Even when we come with our grown up kids...it is understood that we all can do whatever interest us most...we are pretty laid back...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:10 pm 

Doug is not a beach guy either. He is afraid of sharks :lol: He would rather be playing golf than sitting on the beach. He does come down most afternoons and spend a little time with everyone, but if he is outside at the resort he will be in the pool. We travel with so many people everyone pretty much has to do what they enjoy. Sometime it gets hairy, but hey don't most family vacations :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:55 pm 

Do whatever you want, we can get together for dinner or something in the evening. I won't be on the beach either. I'll be out getting the whistle blown at me to come in closer to shore about every 10 minutes, that is if I hear it and I'm not falling asleep past the breakers floating on my back :D Had that happen before.

No one else goes on vacation in the family. I think it would be a lot of fun to rent a house. just allow me to do what I want and you can go do what you want.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:14 pm 

Rich doesn't stay on the beach as long as I do. I can stay all day with a good book, and going into the water for awhile to cool off and just sit in the chair with my feet in the surf.

He goes up to the room and thats fine. Everyone enjoys vacation their own way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:34 am 

The folks we went with this year are mild opposites. Stephanie LOVES the ocean and the beach while Kevin pretty well hates the ocean. But, I will say that he likes sitting in the sand under an umbrella drinking beer. So with that being said, I can tolerate his behavior just fine. As for going with someone who HATES the beach, I'd be annoyed. What's the point of going? Stay home and watch TV. Save yourself a few bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 pm 

If I was going to go to the beach with someone who hated the actual beach, then MB would be the best one to go to. MB probably offers as many or more "off the beach" activities than any beach town in the U.S.

We had a group of friends that used to go to MB when we did and they absolutely loved the place. Their daily routine consisted of an early trip to the beach, go up to the room to eat lunch, and then once again head back out to the beach until 5 or 6 p.m. On most nights they would stay in and eat and hang out in the room. Only a couple of nights during the week did they go out to eat or shop. Then one year they took a trip to Destin and found that they enjoyed it more than they did MB. Like MB, Destin gave them a beach they could hang out at all day, and they have now quit going to MB. Our family on the other hand, enjoys limited time (3 to 4 hours a day) on the beach and then going out to enjoy the evening activities of MB. Personally, if all I wanted to do was lay on the beach and not do much else, then I would probably venture to a less crowded beach than MB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Judy, knowing you makes it easy for me to see you worrying yourself with this question. You are a peacemaker through and through and you suffer angst in situations where you feel you should be doing more to make your company happy.

However, what you can do is explain your guests before or immediately upon their arrival that the main reason you come here is to be on the beach as much as you can. Tell them they are welcome to come with you. But if they are not beach lovers, lucky for them, the Grand Strand offers enough things to do that will keep them busy 24/7. Pick up several of the free coupon books that contain an area map and leave them on their bed.

I have been looking for, but cannot find, a copy of the note a friend of mine leaves on the kitchen wall. It goes something like this: We are happy to have so many friends who visit us in our beach house. We love to see you and hope you will feel at home. Please don't as ask us to accompany you to shows, entertainment venues, boat rentals, shopping malls, etc. We have done all these things. When we are not here, we leave a spare key in the corner of the garden under the stone "garden" sign. Come and go as you please, and call if you need us...we'll probably be on fishing pier.

She also addresses breakfast, lunch and dinner and how that should be handled.

You are already being a gracious hostess by allowing your company to stay with you. Think of the savings for them by not having to rent accommodations. You are not obligated to do anything more than that....except enjoy their company when everyone is at the beach house.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall