Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:08 am 

Do you have any day/weekend trips you take everywhear to a certain destination? MB is our big vacation each year, ranging anywhere from 8 days to two weeks. I however am a big Civil War buff and enjoy seeing all the battlefields. I live about and hour and a half from Gettysburg, so I go down there close to 10 times a year or so. Since mid June this will be my third weekend there this weekend. That place makes me feel welcomed, and I've always wanted to move to SC until I started visiting Gettysburg so often. Other than that every April my gf and I make a trip to a different battlefield. Last year we we to Antietam and Harpers Ferry for a weekend, and this past April we visited Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville/The Wilderness battlefields. I was also lucky enough to head up to the Finger Lakes (Senace Lake) 3 weeks ago to do some beer and wine tasting. One of these times I'd like to visit all the battlfields in Tennessee, Vicksburg, and Fort Sumnter. My gf is currently pregnant, so I'm not sure if we will get to do that next April as the baby is supposed to come in March. Maybe just a small trip to Bull Run.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:00 am 

Usually still at the beach somewhere -- Gulf Shores, AL; Outer Banks, NC; Charleston, SC and the barrier islands; Jekyll Island and Tybee Island, GA. I've come to love the OBX as much as MB in the past couple years.

Have done Gatlinburg the past couple years for our family vacation - and this year we spent a week in the UP.

I have always been interested in the Civil War era, have been to Gettysburg twice myself. I love the history in Charleston. We also did the Lee's Retreat tour thru NC and VA and ended at Appomattox. That was a really interesting road trip!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:04 am 

We are not that far from the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area, but two days is all I can take over there. We have taken a couple of cruises to the Bahamas out of Charleston the last couple of years. We have not been to Disney in five years now, and we would like to get back there. Tickets have gotten so expensive that it makes it hard to do. We will probably drive out west within the next five years. I have been to a lot of places in my life, but I've never been driven west of Kentucky in a vehicle (flew to L.A, Dallas, Hawaii,)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:47 pm 

We are in Hatfield/McCoy country here and there is so many sites to see... many that we drive by sometimes daily and never knew was part of the feud. There is also Battle of Middle Creek in Prestonsburg, KY that is about 20 mins from us and we have driven by a few times when the reenactment is going on.. We saw the sign that that reenactment is going on the weekend that we leave for MB Sept. 13. We have yet to visit Loretta Lynns homeplace which is also about 30 mins from us ... Jenny Willey Grave... Breaks Interstate Park which is known as the Grand Canyon of the South...Beautiful overlooks... We've drove by but not been there in a while .. we are planning a picnic later in the fall when the leaves start turning... Gee.. I sound like a pure country girl!!! LOLOL This is just a few things that are close to home...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:39 pm 

luvmb wrote:
We are in Hatfield/McCoy country here and there is so many sites to see... many that we drive by sometimes daily and never knew was part of the feud. There is also Battle of Middle Creek in Prestonsburg, KY that is about 20 mins from us and we have driven by a few times when the reenactment is going on.. We saw the sign that that reenactment is going on the weekend that we leave for MB Sept. 13. We have yet to visit Loretta Lynns homeplace which is also about 30 mins from us ... Jenny Willey Grave... Breaks Interstate Park which is known as the Grand Canyon of the South...Beautiful overlooks... We've drove by but not been there in a while .. we are planning a picnic later in the fall when the leaves start turning... Gee.. I sound like a pure country girl!!! LOLOL This is just a few things that are close to home...

You are in a gorgeous area! Such history - and country music greats! Have been through there a few times, love the Pikeville Hillbilly Days! We stopped at Middle Creek, too - I have a very eerie photo of a campfire I took there - only there wasn't a fire, you can just see the outline in the photo of smoke. Butcher Hollar is horrible to get to, but very cool - if you happen that way, be sure to stop at Webb's Grocery, too - that's still run by family and full of history! Breaks is amazing - but I've only seen it in the winter. There is a gravesite on the way up there of a soldier - I can't remember the info, but have stopped there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:04 pm 

We took the Bahamas cruise from Charleston in February of this year. We really enjoyed it.
Atlantis Resort is amazing to see.
And this year, especially, it was nice to get away from the cold weather for a bit!

We also camp. We tent camped for years but we did eventually get a camper.
It's funny because I think camping has become more popular in recent years.
You used to be able to decide to go camping at last minute, but anymore the campgrounds seem to fill up pretty quickly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:28 pm 

micountrygal...you've been to Hillbilly Days? I didn't even mention it. I was thinking of things around us that we haven't even gone to or gone to lately!! HBD's is a wonderful event and we have met several Shriner that come from SC that we see every year. I actually look for them to buy my hat pins. We live in town and are walking distance of everything.

Hatfield McCoy days is labor day weekend.. this is the second year and not as big as HBD's but a good turnout. We were just happy to see our favorite funnel cake people there last year.. Didn't get to ask them if they were going to be there this year. Their fc's are not flat and crispy but thick and fluffy and you can get strawberries or chocolate, peanut butter, sugar, whipped cream .. OK .. just gained 5 pounds thinking of them LOL..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:23 pm 

We always do a yearly trip to Pigeon Forge with the entire family. We rent a huge cabin and basically spend alot of family time together. When you live close I have to agree with MBKY it doesn't take long before this area becomes a bore. The mountains are beautiful, but there is just not that much to do. I would never stay in Gatlinburg it has become very run down. Now, with all those negative comments I will say everyone should visit the area at least once.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 pm 

Some of you already know that Cedar Point is more or less in my backyard. We're, of course, season pass holders and take advantage of it. Its not that it's a vacation for us by any means, but with our passes, we get into ALL Cedar Fair parks across the country. We haven't been to any other than King's Island in Cincinnati but that is definitely a long weekend trip as it's a 4 hour drive.

What DOES feel like a vacation in this area is a day trip to Put In Bay. I strongly suggest you look it up if you've never heard of it. We go over on the ferry for a day and it is a total escape from life for us. We cruise around on a golf cart and soak up the island life. We bar hop, dine, visit the winery and just generally relax. It's a pseudo Myrtle Beach day for us over there.

Week long destination vacations are held to Myrtle Beach for us right now. I'm by no means rich so unfortunately, price is always a barrier. While Myrtle is increasingly more and more pricey, it still suits us for value. I'm sure at some point we'll jump ship and try somewhere else. I marvel at a long weekend in the Appalachians sometime soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:17 am 
Site Admin

We are fortunate to live close to the Olympic village in Lake Placid and the Thousand Islands in Alex Bay, so it's easy to take at least a day trip to get away!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:16 pm 

We like going to the Pigeon Forge /Gatlinburg area...Cedar Point is always good for a day or two...it is about 4 hours from us...and we have visited DisneyWorld three times...always something new there to explore...one year we did go to Las Vegas...we drove and got to see parts of the states that we had never seen...we loved seeing the changes in scenery as we headed west...close to home we have the Hocking Hills in SE Ohio...great for hiking and other activivties...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:06 pm 

I'm also a Civil War buff and we have been to Gettysburg, Antietam, Spotsylvania, the Wilderness/Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Chickamauga, and Andersonville. Phroggy, we used to live about 3 hr. from Cedar Point and have been there many times. Pigeon Forge has been mentioned a few times on this thread and we've been there twice and loved it. Other places we've been are the UP of Michigan, Mackinaw Island, Branson, MO., Williamsburg, VA, Hawaii, the Grand Canyon, Los Angeles, Washington DC. The three places we have visited most are Las Vegas, Disney World, and Myrtle Beach.

Las Vegas because we can drive there in a little over 4 hr. or fly cheaply in 45 minutes. There are an enormous number of things to see and do there that don't involve gambling--which I've heard is also available. If you can't keep yourself entertained in Vegas, you aren't trying. The number of shows available is staggering. and it's possible to do a week there fairly inexpensively, depending on your preferences for the type of hotel room you want, food, etc. But it's usually CROWDED! Crowds increase the stress factor of a vacation, and you'll definitely experience some stress in Vegas. If you haven't seen the Strip and been in the hotels along it, you've missed an amazing sight.

Disney World, because it's Disney World. We've been there 5 times, including this past June. That will probably be our last trip to see the mouse. It's great fun, but exhausting, crowded, and the most expensive vacation we take.

Myrtle Beach - This has always been our favorite place to vacation, but there have been so many other places we wanted to see. There are no negatives about MB. While at times it may seem crowded, it's nothing like Disney World, Vegas, or even here in Phoenix. It's the most relaxing trip we take and it's probably where we will go yearly from here on. Now if only we could eliminate that long expensive flight to get there!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 am 

We are heading out in about 6 weeks for The Villages in Florida. My sister and her hubby, who just left here for home this morning lol, live down there. We rent a house for two months then head home for Christmas. Then we head down to Myrtle Beach for February and March. We are excited about our Florida trip this year. Our two girls, my brother his wife and two daughters and my sister and hubby from Florida are all going on a cruise this October. We have been several times and so have the Florida relatives but the rest have never been on a cruise and their excitement is getting contagious.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:06 am 

We frequent Disney OFTEN...at least once a year. Can't get enough of the mouse and all that Disney magic :wav: :wav:

We also love to visit Lancaster, PA. We just got back last week and it is a very relaxing, beautiful, and familiar area for us. I find the Amish way of life very intriguing :wink: . We also visit York, ME frequently. A little slice of heaven here on earth though it is way way too cold to swim there (IMO) even in the height of summer!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 pm 

Ichiban wrote:
the Thousand Islands in Alex Bay

Oh how I would like to take a fishing trip up there.

We take some day get aways to PF/Gatlinburg. Have had season passes to Dollywood the last couple of years.

Looks like the wife is set on us buying a camper. If so, we may take a few campgrounds around different beaches but I would say it will be parked at Pirateland most often.