Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 pm 

Sometimes life gets very complicated. We have been on the fence about what to do about Myrtle Beach this year. My husband's health has been better this year. So far no hospital visits. On the other hand his back has been causing him more problems. At one point we were going to rule out trips this year. After careful consideration we have decided the beach is what keeps us going forward most of the year. For the past 6 years we have rented the same house in Surfside. We have a work commitment here in Sevier County that involves being here for the weekends. Some years we were able to swing a few weekends away. It costs us out of pocket about $500. for the expense of paying people to work for us for one weekend. That adds a lot to the vacation expense. We started out six years ago renting the house for three months, the last couple of years we have only rented it for one month. This year will be only a month (without weekends)at most. I hate to stop renting the house because it seems like that in life once you stop doing something you may not do it again. Hate to go backwards. I guess what I am debating is whether if we are going to return home every weekend during the month of October is it smart to rent the same house. I have thought that for about the same cost we could stay in a nice highrise condo for four separate five day periods. We could possibly spread this over the period Sept. thru Dec. with a five day period each month. I guess a key piece to the puzzle is that it is a 800+ mile roundtrip from our home in Pigeon Forge. Sometimes it can be rather exhausting making so many roundtrips in a month. I would appreciate any input from my "peeps" on the board. The thought of the beach keeps me going all year so any time there will be better than none. I did turn 70 this year. On my bucket list was to see Jimmy Buffett in concert. Guess what I am going with some younger friends to see him in Cincinnatti in July. That will put me in a beach mood for sure. Thanking you in advance for any ideas or comments regarding my dilemma.
Judy
e

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 am 

I'm sure that 800 miles is tough. So with that being said, the idea of spreading it out over four months is a great idea. Perhaps even a different place each time too. One stint in Surfside, one in Garden City, another in Myrtle then maybe finish up with one in North Myrtle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:17 am 

Thank you for your idea. It had not crossed my find to stay a different place each time. We have stayed at the Bayview Resort on the Boardwalk a couple if times and liked it. I like your idea though. Sort of an adventure taking us out of our comfort zone. Years ago we use to rent a house off of Shore Drive. That is the farthest north we have stayed. New younger minds would think clearer!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 am 

I couldn't imagine doing an 800 mile trip several times a month...seriously. The idea of having mini vacations spread out between the Autumn months sounds wonderful! I agree with the Phroggster, change it up a bit if you feel comfortable doing it! As the cooler months approach the rates will go down for sure and who knows by Dec. you could get a really beautiful condo for near nothing!

Whatever you decide I am sure it will be wonderful!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:24 am 

I like the idea of trying different places. It would be a new adventure each time :lol: Sounds like a great plan to me. Oh, and if you need someone to help drive those 800 miles I would make a great chauffeur and I am just down the road :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:26 pm 

Hi Judy! I think I like the idea of spreading trips out and at different places. I love the Surfside area too but the thought of several different vacations sounds enticing...lower prices in the fall and winter...great motivator as well! Keep coming to the beach...I know i always feel better after my time on vacation!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:07 pm 

800+ miles is no joke! We have to do 600+ tomorrow to visit family and I am already dreading that trip. Only perk is seeing the grandbabies.

I have to agree with everyone else, Stay at different places. It would seem to me like a new vacation each time and it's a great opportunity to try new places.

Side note: Jimmy Buffett is usually at Virginia Beach during the summer months. A friend went last month and saw him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:51 pm 

Thank you all for your input. It is starting to make more sense to spread the trip over a few months. The more I think about it, it makes good sense to stay in different locations. We have always liked to take the ferry from Southport to Fort Fisher but it is such a long haul from Surfside. We could work that into the time we stay in No. Myrtle Beach. Sounds like a good plan now just to need to work out the details and convince my husband.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Judy, I agree with what the others have said....and I did not respond because what everyone said was pretty much the same. You should check with VRBO to see if you can get some good deals. Please keep us informed.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:49 am 

I really like the ferry to Fort Fisher. Always makes for a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:44 pm 

I also love the idea if spreading it out over time & staying a different place each time! It would give you something to look forward to. Until recent years, we always made it down several times a year for long weekends. It was such a nice break & easy to do since we lived less Han 4 hours away. Looking forward to hearing what y'all decide to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk