Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:35 pm 

I’ve been waiting awhile to post this, but specifically wanted to update Patrish since we were not able to meet up in March when I brought Misti & Sarah to the Beach for Spring Break. Fair warning to anyone reading this… I’ll be dipping into a few religious comments below, so if you aren’t a Christian, please feel free to stop reading now.

On February 11th, I was called into a meeting with the VP for our division and was told that my job would not be retained after June 30th. I’ve worked for the University for 24 years, and I am only 6 years away from being eligible for early retirement. This was a crushing blow, as we have about 5 years on our mortgage, are paying for one kid in College, and have another starting High School. Moving would be difficult, and losing my retirement would be even tougher. Meanwhile, my 81 year-old Father was placed in assisted living in January, and this was even tougher on our family. My parents live about 150 miles from us, so it was exhausting making that drive every weekend all Winter to be with him and to help my Mother.

In the meantime, I began looking for jobs throughout the country. The television industry is small and it is difficult to find a good paying job, despite having 30 years in the business. Misti, Sarah, and I had a pre-planned Spring Break trip to Myrtle Beach in mid-March, and decided to go ahead and make the trip so that I could drop off some resume’s at various TV Stations and production facilities along the way (and also to free our minds from everything we were dealing with). We were only at MB for 3 days, and the temps were in the 40’s so we laid low and I did not attempt to write any trip report. Unfortunately was not able to meet up with Patrish and Wally, despite her kind invitation. So hopefully she'll understand after reading this.

This was a difficult Winter as our future was in doubt, and my Father’s health deteriorated. I prayed quite a bit, and asked the Lord to take care of things. It is amazing how much he blessed us! My Father was put into Hospice in mid-April, and God freed up my schedule so I could spend most of that week with my parents, relieving my Sister who had spent the previous week with them (she lives about 250 miles away). Our son decided to move back home with us while in college, and though he had no idea what we were dealing with, it was a blessing not only to be able to save the expenses of him living in an apartment, but I had my son to be there to support me when I needed him the most. Dad died two days after Easter, and once again God freed up my schedule and I was able to spend a week helping my Mother prepare for the Funeral. So, God had a plan and a purpose for me. Though I didn’t understand why I had to lose my job, I now understand that it was the best way to free me up to be with my family.

When life got back to normal at home here in May, I found out that some very special people took it upon themselves to create a job for me at the University, as they truly value me and my abilities. I will now be working fulltime for the Athletic Department, televising Mountaineer sports for the rest of my career. My last day at my old job is June 30th, and my first day with the new job is July 1st. I keep all of my benefits, longevity, and retirement. And best of all... I get to work fulltime for the department I've always wanted to work in! I'm so humbled that so many people worked so hard on my behalf. Long-story-short… God blessed me with a new job, granted our prayer of a peaceful passing for my Father, and has literally answered EVERY prayer I asked!

We won’t be taking a vacation this summer due to the job change, and probably won’t make it next year to the Grand Strand as I’ll be spending all of my savings to take Misti somewhere special for our 25th wedding Anniversary in May of 2015. (I have a few ideas, but I want it to be a surprise and I think she’s started to read the funbeaches forum, so I don’t want to give it away).

So Patrish, looks like we’ll have to plan a meet-up for the summer of 2016. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a wonderful vacation to Myrtle Beach this summer, and I look forward to reading everyone’s trip reports. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder, so I'll just have to think about all of the new places that will spring up between now and 2016!

Thanks be to God for His blessings on the Bartlett family. And thanks to all of you wonderful people here on Patrish's forum for sharing your experiences at our favorite vacation destination... Myrtle Beach!

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:58 pm 

WOW!!! Isn't God amazing! We don't always see His plans but He sure does! What an amazing testimony and I thank you for sharing! Blessings on your new job!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:23 pm 

Scott,

Every once in awhile when my faith begins to wain a bit, it's good to hear a story such as yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:16 pm 

What a wonderful testimony!! So glad everything worked out for you. God is Good!!!
Melissa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:25 pm 

Scott,

It is always a blessing to see how God works in what we think are tough situations when all along they are His perfect plans for us. There are probably not many people who would have seen His presence/guidance as you did. Your story brought tears to my eyes. When I went to work at my current place of employment 17 years ago the president of the company placed me in my fathers dept (who was a vice president). Now how often does that happen :roll: My father and myself really struggled and questioned this decision. I know today why I was placed in his dept. It was part of a divine plan. My father got cancer 5 years after me taking the position. For those 5 years I got to spend time and develop a closer relationship with him that would have never happened if I had not been in his dept. It was amazing how well we worked together and how much I learned from him. After his passing I went to the president of our company and thanked him for allowing me to work under my father. I still to this day cherish that time. God works in ways that we can never understand we just have to walk day by day in faith. Thanks for sharing your story. It truly was a blessing to read how it all worked out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:49 pm 

I'm a born and raised Catholic. For many years, I denied God and all his work. About two and a half years ago, I started going back to church and trying to rekindle the faith. Mass is always ended with Father telling us to spread the good word of the Lord. You, Scott, have done just that. Thank you for your inspiring trek. God bless you and your family.

Last edited by phroggy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Scott, thank you so much for sharing your story with our members. Something I've noticed from day 1 of this board is prayer sipport from our members, I'm happy that things worked out so well for you. You re blessed with a beautiful family and very good friends.

Wally and I so enjoyed meeting you and Misty last August, as well as your daughter Sarah and her friend. I hope we will be able to do that again one day!

P,S. Let us know where you will be celebrating your anniversary.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 pm 

Scott, what a powerful testimony. So very sorry to hear about the loss of your Father. Was glad to hear you were able to spend time with him. It is amazing how God works things out. I know it has been a very stressful year for you and your family but I am sure it has brought you all closer together. Happy to hear that you will remain at your University until retirement. I guess the bonus is you get to work in the department you really like. Will miss your trip reports the next couple of years but will look forward to your comments on the board.

Phroggy, I was away from the Catholic Church for almost 45 years. In my mind I always thought I was a Catholic. Been faithfully attending the last 12 years. Life with God is better than life with no God. Of course, you do not have to attend Church to have God in your life. OK, enough of this serious stuff. Let's hit the beach!!
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:34 pm 

Thanks for your post. What an awesome story. You may not realize it, but your story is an inspiration to a lot of people, many of whom you don't even know. God bless you and your family, and congrats on the new job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:10 pm 

Scott,
That is a great story on how faith and prayer work to help people, We are glad
that it all worked out with your job and family as well......Thank you for sharing your wonderful
story with us...

Dwight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:14 pm 

Scott, thanks so much for sharing your story. It was very encouraging for me. I just lost my job 8 weeks ago from the place I was sure I would be retiring from. God clearly has a different plan for me and my wife. While we do not see anything right now, I know he is already laying the groundwork ffor the next chapter for us.

I thought I would not see our beloved MB this year cause the money is tight. But last week my grown son invited us to come down the last week in July and share a condo, his treat. God is good. Cannot wait to see what he has next for us.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:47 pm 

Thank you for sharing your story with everyone. Praise God for all of his blessings!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:40 pm 

Scott, God truly is amazing and he always has a plan for each and every one of us! Thank you for sharing your inspiring story!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:49 pm 

I am truly sorry to hear about your father, but it is amazing indeed our Our Father takes care of us. Best wishes!

What's round on the ends and high in the middle? O-HI-O

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:44 pm 

Thank you so much for sharing this with us Scott. It is an awesome feeling when you see God's hand managing those difficult times for you. So sorry for the loss of your Day.

Vacation pics 2014