Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 pm 

My wife and I have been talking for 3-4 years about the possibility of moving to Myrtle Beach when we retire. It's nice to think about such things, but now retirement is close to becoming a reality, which brings a decision that much closer. My wife will retire sometime after the first of the year and I'm going to pull the trigger a year from now.

Of course, lots of things go into making a decision of such magnitude. I know many of the board members either have moved to MB or are thinking about it to escape the winters in the frozen north. We use to live in northern Indiana, so I completely understand that line of thinking. However, we now live in Phoenix. We certainly wouldn't be running away from the weather. And, we like living here. This is a major retirement destination, and we are already here. We also have to decide if we really want to go thru all the uproar of selling our house and moving all the way across the country. Do we really want to start over?

On the other hand, MB is our favorite place to be. We would not consider leaving Phoenix for any other place. Our first trip to MB was in 1987 when we lived in Indiana and we fell in love with the place. Even though we live so far away, we still go there. The things we like to do most are located there.

Thus, the dilemma. We still have time to do research and talk it over before we make a decision. Any of you out there who are thinking about moving to MB, or have already made the move, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:00 pm 

I've been tossing around the idea of moving to Myrtle for roughly 10 years. 10 years ago, I was head over heels in love with the area and probably could have made it work. I didn't have a lot of money so I hesitated. Today, it's not really a thought I ponder much. Due to the ever increasing crime rate and overall filth, it's nothing more than a great tourist destination. I love visiting but don't think I could live there with the current politics, cost of living and ever increasing taxes. Just my two cents. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:26 pm 

After many vacations in Myrtle Beach over the years it was a no brainer when we
decided to sell our home in NY and move here for good in 2010. We love the area
the tax difference on houses was a $3,500 savings lol..And the cost of living down
here was also a keeper for us. The weather is great and winters are mild compared
to say a Minus 10 degree day and 14 inches of snow in NY..so that was what made us
move here and I am sure others will tell you why they moved here and their likes
and dislikes....Hope we helped you out..... :sunny: :sunny:

Dwight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:08 pm 

I am with Dwight 100%! I have been visitng MB since 1982. We have not made the move yet but own a home about 8 miles inland from Cherry Grove Beach. I CAN NOT wait to head down. We too live in NY and the tax savings are about $5,500.00 from what we pay now!! My husband has the years on the job (31) but not the age to retire (he's only 51 has to be 55). We are seriously considering early retirement :hello: to get down sooner. It really is a no brainer for us financially. The cost of living is so much cheaper and we would be able to live very comfortably! The hardest part for us would be leaving family.

Horry County is vast and while you may not want to live in downtown Myrtle there are so many other lovely areas!! We are in a rural area on an acre of land. Lots of farmland and open country...beautiful. The pace is definitely slower and the people a bit easier. The weather is 100% better than NY and I can so live without ever seeing snow again :wink: ! I have never been to Phoenix so can't compare at that level..I only know I would hate to be land locked :tongue3: . We also like the conservatism of the state compared to NY.

You would really have to do your research and look at all the different areas and communities. I know most like the gated closed communities down there. There are TONS to choose from. We choose a more rural section and didn't go that route do to HOA's and restrictions, BUT again, everyone is different and down there, the choices are many!!

Hope that helps a bit at least...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:39 am 

phroggy, Dwight, and Emmy - Thanks for replies and input. I understand why you guys left the frozen tundra for a warmer climate. After living here for 9 years there is no way I could ever do ice and snow again. I do own a coat....a light jacket, actually....but I can't remember the last time I wore it. Winter is sweatshirt weather here, and it still seems strange to be putting up the Christmas lights while wearing shorts.

From the research we've done, which is admittedly incomplete at this point, I'm not sure we'd see a great difference in the cost of living between Phoenix and MB. I do agree with your observation about being land locked.....not many beaches in the Phoenix area. As for crime, Phoenix has a little of that, too.

Emmy, it sounds like you guys have a sweet setup with your property in MB. Even tho we live in the suburbs, it's still pretty much an urban environment, with lots of traffic, the sounds of sirens, etc. At times I'm convinced that at some point a law was passed saying that the worst drivers in the country must live in the Phoenix metro area.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:34 am 
Site Admin

"If the retired folks in South Carolina seem relaxed, it may be because they’re enjoying a more low-key lifestyle, and less congestion, than they would a little further south among their brethren in Florida. While a growing number of people have been flocking to the state for its mild winters and a slower pace, the state remains a bit of an “undiscovered gem,” says Laura Scharr-Bykowsky, a principal at Ascend Financial Planning in Columbia, S.C. What’s more, the state boasts low property taxes and no state estate tax."
Source:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/retire ... 2012-12-27

Kiplinger magazine has listed South Carolina among the 10 most tax-friendly states for retirees.
People 65 and over may deduct up to $10,000 in qualiifying retirement income, including public employee retirement plans, Keogh plans, IRA distributions and retirement.
People 65 and over can take a senior deduction of $15,000, for single filers, or $30,000, for married couples filing jointly. However, the $15,000 deduction must be offset by the amount taken with the retirement-income deduction. Retired military personnel 65 and older can deduct up to $10,000 of military retirement benefits.
Source:
http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retiremen ... php#anchor

We have lived here 16 years and have never experienced a robbery or any other crime-related happening. Any large tourist area city is going to have its share of crime. That goes without saying. The City of Myrtle Beach whose population swells to 14 million in the summer has a population of only 29,000 people. Wally and I are two of them. Please read the answers and information on this page.
Crime Statistics Myrtle Beach:
http://www.funbeaches.com/crime.html

And while all the above information contains plenty of good reasons to move to Myrtle Beach, the biggest draw for us was the beach and all the amenities...entertainment, restaurants, friendly and happy people (yes, really) great neighbors, the quality of health care/hospitals, the nearby airport, plenty of public parks and open spaces, and lots of senior citizen and locals' discounts. Every year we purchase yearly passes to the Myrtle Beach State Park and Brookgreen Gardens - two of my favorite places to hang out. 'Nuff said! :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:54 am 

Thanks Patrish. Really good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:18 pm 

Great articles Patrish, They say it all.......

Dwight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm 

So here's another question for those who have made the move to MB from somewhere else. Did you see any significant difference in the cost of your homeowners insurance between MB and wherever you came from?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:18 pm 

Yes, my homeowners insurance in Longs is more by about $200 and the house is much smaller than our New York home. We are 8 miles from the ocean so that ups it. The further from the beach you are the lower it becomes I was told. I search yearly for the best deal (saved about $500 last year.) The threat of hurricanes within Horry County really make the insurance a bit more. Like any other insurance the higher the deductible the lower you payments. Seriously though, the $200 more for insurance can't compare to the $5,000 savings in taxes :wink: !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:25 pm 

$5000? Wow, if I could save that much a year you'd soon be calling me neighbor!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:35 pm 

I'd love to move down in 2018 when I retire. I think I'd take a hit on my pension with the exchange rate from Canadian $ to US $. Not to mention the loss of health care.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:21 pm 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:57 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
dbusguy wrote:
I'd love to move down in 2018 when I retire. I think I'd take a hit on my pension with the exchange rate from Canadian $ to US $. Not to mention the loss of health care.

Don,

When I moved to United States, I did not lose healthcare .... I just have to pay for it :twisted:

But seriously, though, the quality of healthcare here, is top notch. My first summer here, I had an episode of Bell's Palsy, and I was impressed by the professionals who took care of me. As Patricia said, people here are genuinely nice. So true.

We moved in Myrtle beach in 2008, and it was one of the best decisions of our lives.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:10 pm 

We will definitely have to meet and talk when we come down.

Oh, and it might be October again this year.
Things are happening and looks like plans are changing. :(