Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boogie Boarding
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:03 pm 

I wasn't sure where to post this topic so I suppose this is probably the best spot. Besides drinking beer on my vacation, the other most enjoyable part is boogie boarding.

Years and years ago, when I was probably 10 or 11, my family started an annual trip to Virginia Beach in mid June. I had no experience with the ocean and was scared to death of it. My dad and older bother would venture out 50 yards or so while I stayed close to the beach and barely got in the water. They had found out that boogie boards were available for rent at $10/day. So every year, they'd rent the boards and I'd watch them ride the waves. After a few years, my dad decided that renting was just wasting money so he bought a Morey Boogie board back in the mid 90's. If you're not familiar, Morey pretty much invented the whole activity. The guy is a legend in water sports.

Anyway, I still had no interest in the activity until I made my first trip to Myrtle Beach with just my best friend and I. I took the boogie board with me and just made myself go in the ocean. I taught myself to ride the board and I just haven't been the same since. The bigger the wave the happier I am. The longer the ride the more I enjoy the ocean. I fight for the perfect spot and wait patiently for the perfect swell. It's not too often that I fail to grab the ride.

Through the years I've become quite good at it and have even taught a fair number of folks to boogie board properly. I take pride in what I do and how I do it. There have been countless times when people just stand and watch me; never asking advice but learning by perception.

I think what I like most is when there are sea creatures out there with me. I often find sting rays riding the same waves as me. Sometimes, various fish are in the same swell. I've even had a small shark bump into me while I'm searching for that perfect ride.

If I had to make a choice between not being able to drink while on vacation or not being able to boogie board, I'd lose the booze every time.

Post subject: Re: Boogie Boarding
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Phroggy:
"If I had to make a choice between not being able to drink while on vacation or not being able to boogie board, I'd lose the booze every time."

Well that certainly speaks volumes! :clown:

I enjoyed reading this post! You expressed your enjoyment so well, I could almost see you out there on your board. Hope you have many, many more years to enjoy this sport. It's not only fun...it will keep you in shape!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:34 pm 

When my brother and I were young my dad would ride the waves with us for hours. It is one of my fondest memories of my dad and memories are priceless.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 am 

I also enjoy and getting out to Boogie Board. I remember before kids that I would stay out there all day while my wife would catch some sun. Nothing better than coming down to the beach and seeing some really good waves to catch. But, it does stink to see small swells knowing you are not going to be able to ride the waves that day!!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 am 

Great post!! So, now we know what your hidden talent is :hello: ! Love it! The ocean is an amazing adventure and life system within itself, isn't it? When we get to be a part of it and loose ourselves within it's pleasures for a while it's surreal.

My son (25) for the very first time this year went surfing. He found a local bunch of guys down by Cherry Grove pier giving lessons and went for it. The sharks were by him as well but it didn't seem to phase him or the instructor! Who know, maybe that's next for Phroggy :wink: ...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:07 pm 

Hey Phrog,
Anytime you're ready to up your game I have just what you need.
Pull up Gauley River on Youtube. 99% of most videos are rafts and yaks. Every now and then. There goes somebody running the river.... on nothing more than a boogie board. I'm sure they're using something better than a board bought at Wings but still.....Just imagine riding one for several miles down a river........

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:40 pm 

Love boogie boarding! We have to fly to get to MB so can't bring one with us. We would buy one when we got to MB and then at the end of the week we would find a family and give them to the kids :)

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:44 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M8b8Xt5584
Here ya go Phrog. Think I counted four boards in this one. Some made it.....They're still looking for the others.....

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 pm 

That would certainly be upping my game indeed. I can't say that I would have much interest in doing it on a board but perhaps a raft. Thanks for the video, pop. Cheers!