Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Other destinations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Admin

For my two cents, I believe we would open the board up to more problems than we could anticipate! For us long time members, and some of us who have had to deal with some crazy s*@t in the past, I think we need to leave well enough alone! I understand that this board is pretty unique in the way it is run! No fighting, personal attacks, etc. are allowed, and how many boards have actual meets ups :notworthy: ! If everyone ran their sites with an iron fist like our Web Goddess Patrish :love1: , we wouldn't be having this conversation right now :wink: ! JMHO :ninja:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:29 am 

Great points made by all! Either way I am here to stay so whatever Patrish feels is best is fine by me.

But, if I had to choose, I am going to have to say I would like the board to remain what it is.. " A Haven for Myrtle Beach Lovers."

We are what we are.

We are a group of diverse individuals with varied interests and opinions but we are all fiercely loyal to the coastline that is the "Grand Strand." If we open the forum to other destinations and opinions about our beloved beach, things could get hairy...lol. We all vacation in other destinations but this forum is more than just travel advice. It is an area were we can come and talk about MB in the dead cold of winter. We can show pics of our babies growing into adults along the S.C. coastline. We can say how much we miss the ocean and no one and I mean no one would ever say "That's not really on topic. This is a travel forum."

Just my humble for what it's worth but again, we need to realize this is more than a travel destination forum to MANY of us. It's our Myrtle Beach home away from home when we can't physically be there! Maybe that's selfish and exclusive but I'm just being honest!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

We need a like button :clown:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 pm 

Myrtle Beach board for Myrtle Beach , if I wanted to know about other vacation spots I would do a Google or Yahoo search.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm 

My vote is to leave it the way it is. If someone would like to share their experiences on a trip elsewhere, leave a post in the Internet Cafe. I like to hear about other places to vacation, but I do not come to this site to hear about them. I want to read about Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach only! Besides, I would not want to have to do this :boxing: with a couple of outsiders that do not really care about Myrtle Beach itself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

I asked Melissa to open this discussion to the members. I also told her I tried this once before and had to take it down soon after it was set up because one person (who DID come to MB regularly) wanted to take up pages and pages and pages by running all their photos of all their vacations. Thinking back on it, it was not a good way to do it because there was only one topic: Your Other Vacations...so you had to scroll through the most recent to get to the next. (It would be as if his whole message board just said Myrtle Beach and everything went under that heading.)

While I see the advantage of a topic like this (formatted properly) and I also see the disadvantages that so many of you have cited. Thanks for some very insightful comments.

Another thought was that I could host another forum on the funbeaches site - a completely separate entity from this one - that would be for travel related trip reports. This would provide a forum for y'all from the board to post your vacations under the funbeaches.com umbrella, but it would also be open to the public....people who may or may not be interested in Myrtle Beach.

But I am not sure Melissa would want to build it, and I'm not sure how much of my time would be required to moderate it,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:37 pm 
Forum Support

Well this topic certainly got everyone talking!

Just so everyone knows, my intentions where never to take away from the Myrtle Beach board or to water it down. I just wanted to find a link to keep our family of posters together. As it seems like people stop coming here if they don't have a trip to MB in the making. Even though it is like family here there seems to be that missing ingredient. So I thought to make things more inviting for our board family to share and ask questions about other trips. I realize that there are places like google and trip advisor. But one thing is for sure, it is impossible to find a forum like this for 99.9% of the destinations out there.

P.S. Judy I Where I can find my Milton Crabapple CD the next time I am in Pigeon Forge?! :chairfall:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm 

I've read just about all the comments and you've made some good points and I can see the reasons of why not to have a whole section. I also agree that it would be nice to read about other trips we've made. I think now the the Internet Cafe is the place for these posts. It's a free for all section and shouldn't over whelm the board if there is the odd post there. With it not being advertised but accepted by all, then I now feel this is the way to go.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:17 pm 

I too get the idea, but would prefer it to stay about MB. That's what we're here for :)

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm 

We also travel throughout the year and I could contribute to the cause and understand why there is an interest. Having said that, I have always felt our main bond as members of the board is our love for Myrtle Beach. It has given us all something we all love to talk about and has created a common bond. It doesn't matter what the conversation is the connecting thread is Myrtle Beach. I have learned so much reading about the experiences relayed on the board. I feel if we are commenting on places all over the world and doing restaurant reviews, trip reports and providing information on attractions our common interest will be diluted. My goodness, I can hardly keep up with the board now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:51 pm 

Seems like that may draw the focus away from MB. This board was create to make MB the focus. Nay vote from me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 pm 

Melissa, not sure about the Milton Crabtree CD. I did have the local tourist info station on the other day and I am pretty sure that there was a Visitors Center on Hwy 66 that would give you a free CD. They also said something about free popcorn and drinks. My only concern is some of the Visitors Centers are somehow connected with timeshare companies and are trying to get their hooks in you. I will try to find out more and let you know. I am pretty gullible, maybe that was a joke and you are not a fan!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 pm 
Forum Support

beachlady wrote:
Melissa, not sure about the Milton Crabtree CD. I did have the local tourist info station on the other day and I am pretty sure that there was a Visitors Center on Hwy 66 that would give you a free CD. They also said something about free popcorn and drinks. My only concern is some of the Visitors Centers are somehow connected with timeshare companies and are trying to get their hooks in you. I will try to find out more and let you know. I am pretty gullible, maybe that was a joke and you are not a fan!!

No I am actually a fan! I keep Smokey Mountain radio on as long as I can. :lol: I get such crap from the rest of the group, but for me it a sign that vacation is really starting. You are correct that the CDs are at a Visitors Center and they have free drinks and snacks. I never remember where the center is on the way home, so I never got the CD. Might be a blessing though, since you may be right and its a timeshare trap. Just like the centers in South Carolina heading towards Myrtle Beach.

:sunny: I am going to close this thread. Thank You to all who responded! We will keep things the way they are. :sunny:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2