Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Other destinations
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:01 pm 
Forum Support

I floated this idea past Patrish and I am looking for feedback from fellow board members.

What do you guys think of starting a "other destinations" area here on the Myrtle Beach message board? Do you think it would go over very well? Be active enough to have a entire board just for other destinations?

With more people taking trips to other destinations other then Myrtle Beach it got me thinking. Especially since last year we ended up not going to MB. Then some of us here are able to take more then one vacation a year. While others have little side trips on the way down to MB or on the way home.

That is a lot of knowledge that could be shared. Trusted information between friends that could be learned from. A way for us to all keep in touch even if Myrtle Beach trip wasn't in the cards for us that year.

What do you all think? :dontknow:

Post subject: Re: Other destinations
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 pm 

I like it. I want to share my trip to Punta Cana, so that would be a great place for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29 pm 

I am hooked on Myrtle Beach. All my friends are traveling around the country and around the world but I still rather put my travel dollars into Myrtle Beach trips. On the other hand I am addicted to travel reviews and reports about everywhere so I would read any information about other places also. I live in another popular tourist destination - Pigeon Forge, TN. I would be more than happy to provide any information I could about this area. We just feel if we can only make one trip some years it has to be Myrtle Beach.
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:35 pm 

Anyone knowing me knows I am pretty wishy washy. On one hand I would like to see the board stay devoted to Myrtle Beach only but on the other I am always interested in what you all do when you are not in Myrtle Beach! I guess I am on the fence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:02 pm 

I like the idea. It would be nice to hear about other places that I've never been. Who knows, I might want to visit another place some day.

But I would NEVER stop visiting MB.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 pm 

I like the idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 pm 

Hmmmm. It sounds appealing and I'd certainly be able to add to it. However, I worry about drawing away from the main focus of this message board. It's all about Myrtle Beach and it probably should stay that way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Let's hear from some more of you. I sort of agree with the Phrogster. Do you think people might join this board in order to post trip reports from elsewhere (not to post anything about MB?) Would this be bad or good? Up side or Down side? Reasons?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 pm 

I kind of wouldn't mind if some of the regulars posted something like this in the internet cafe, but wonder if an entire section devoted to other destinations may draw away from the purpose of the board. My fear is it would bring in people that are visiting a "superior destination" and they would come in and argue on why it is so much better than MB.

I say that because we used to go to MB with some family friends years ago. The MB trip for them was the highlight of the year and I knew of no one that enjoyed the annual MB vacation as much as them. Everyone in their family from mamaw and papaw to aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews made the annual pilgrimage to MB. Then a few years ago one of their children got married in Destin and the whole family went their instead of MB. I guess you can kind of guess what happened after that. We never stopped hearing about how much better Destin was than Myrtle Beach.

I guess it really doesn't matter if they did want to argue that, but like Patrish, I wonder if people would come here just because a google search tagged a Bahamas trip report to these pages. They could offer nothing to the board except to maybe persuade people to skip a trip to MB and head to the Bahamas. In saying that, I wouldn't mind at all to read what the regulars on the board may have done for a 2nd vacation outside of MB. Don't know if an entire section would need to be devoted to it though. My feelings will not be hurt either way. If the majority of the board want it and think it will be okay and Patrish approves then I am fine with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:53 pm 

I'd like to read other trip reports!

I came here because I googled Myrtle Beach the first time I was headed that way -- I stayed because of all the MB info and reports. How many people are going to join the board, after just reading a Punta Canta (not picking, that was mentioned and I'd love to hear about that trip!) trip report? You can tell by just clicking on a few links that the majority of info here is about MB...if I was someone surfing around to read about a destination, saw that there was a post here - I'd click on it to read the info, but wouldn't necessarily join the board because of that one thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Love, y'all! Just as I have come to expect, y'all are straightforward and uh...opinionated! :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:05 am 

I think MBKY hit the nail on the head. Well said!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 am 

I agree with phroggy and MBKY, I come to the message board to read and learn about Myrtle Beach. When I want to read and learn about other destinations I go to Trip Advisor and sites that post reports about the place I am interested in. If there were a decent number of posts to the new section would we then need a separate forum for the restaurants and then one for hotels? At what point would this no longer be the MBMB and become merely a Travel Message Board.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am 

I'm on the fence about this one, but agreeing with MBKY... I get the opportunity to travel so would love to contribute, but what makes the MBMB family special is not only our love of Myrtle Beach, but the incredible respect and good-naturedness of this crowd (I'm sure Patrish, Ron and the other mods will groan as they do a lot of behind-the-scenes cleanup).

Would hate to see this camaraderie watered down when non-MB destinations are stumbled upon by "outsiders" who start posting "Never been to Myrtle, what's there to do ?". (apologies if this sounds condescending....)

Last edited by KirkG on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Other destinations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 am 

I like the msg board just the way it is. Just wondering if
There would be the same friendly spirit here if there were outsiders coming and not even interested in our beloved myrtle beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next