Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:43 am 

Any chance you could post the pictures of the car in front of the Gay Dolphin?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:26 pm 

Yes, Ed & Sandra - that's who I was talking about, I couldn't remember their names. Their website has a lot of information about the movie and their thoughts/findings.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:44 pm 

Hey all!!
After loving this movie since I have been 9 years old, I am finally getting to myrtle beach next week with my husband at age 34!! Sadly, everything I am finding online is saying that many of the filming locations have either burnt down or were destroyed in hurricanes. :( I'm devastated. Can anyone recommend anywhere to go with the movie feel or movie memorabilia???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:06 pm 

Diane -- I'd recommend Fat Harold's - take the free shaggin' lessons there, Tues and Thurs nights I believe. We've had the most fun there!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:29 am 

Hi Diane,

Yep, Fat Harold's in Ocean Drive is the best place for shagging and to experience the shag culture, and get the feel of the movie. Its not only a place to dance. The walls of the place are like a museum, covered with shag and beach music memorabilia. Free shag lessons are Tuesday at 7. These lessons are well attended and well worth the time. You will regret it if you don't give it a try. Thursday at 7 they have line dance lessons.

Outside on the sidewalk in front of Harold's and on up around the corner you can see stars embedded into the concrete, like in Hollywood. These are members of the shaggers hall of fame.

http://shaggershalloffame.org/

The hall of fame continues inside the Ocean Drive Resort, in the hallways next to the Spanish Galleon. This is pretty much just a collection of photographs and a short biography on each member, but if you're interested in things like that, you can see the real people who ultimately inspired the movie.

Across the parking lot from the resort is the OD Pavilion. This place will give you the feel of the movie too, and maybe, if you're lucky you will see a shagger or two. Not as much shagging goes on here on a regular basis as it does at Harold's, but when it does, its a great. The sand on the dance floor has blown in or kicked in from the strand, so its a very "beachy" environment, and much like what you saw in the movie.

http://www.odpavilion.net/Web_Cam.html

These places are all within a few yards of each other at the horseshoe in Ocean Drive.

Across the street from Harold's is Ducks Beach Club. They will have some bands playing shagging music there next week.

About a quarter mile down Main st, headed away from the ocean, you will find Judy's House of Oldies. You can purchase shag shoes, videos, books, stickers, and of course "that shagging kinda music like you hear at OD"

Good Luck, Have Fun, Wish I was there