Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:36 pm 

Ok this is driving me crazy. Does anyone know the location of the party house from Shag the movie. I know it was filmed in multiple locations, but I haven't been able to find this location. Some folks have posted on other boards that it was in the dunes, but that's not the same house. Can anyone help me get the monkey of my back? Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:17 pm 

I was under the assumption it was in Georgetown. I don't now why, seems I read that somewhere. Also - the senator's house and the party house interior shots were the same house, just shot from different angles and decorated differently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm 

Now that I'm thinking about it more - there was a couple here that had a whole website or something dedicated to the movie and the differences, what was real at the time and what was "made up" -- I tried a search and couldn't find anything about it. The couple did a lot of posts a while back, I remember he always had flowers delivered to their room for her before they got there. Higher class kind of folks, but I can't recall their names.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

The party house could have been in Wilmington or maybe in the Atlantic Beach Pavilion? I found this in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shag_%28film%29

While filmed primarily in Wilmington, North Carolina and North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, a sequence was filmed at the late Skyview Drive-In located in Florence, South Carolina (which operated until it burned down in 2007).

The Myrtle Beach Pavilion was not used in the film. A building in the Cherry Grove section of North Myrtle Beach was dressed by the producers as a stand-in. The Atlantic Beach Pavilion, in North Myrtle Beach was used for the final dance contest. Not long after the movie was completed, it burned down.

Here's a YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cttOWnaG3w

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:40 pm 

The "Shag House" was listed for sale in today's (Sunday) Sun News Real Estate guide. The location is 4807 Burchap Dr., Myrtle Beach. Price:$530,000. Listed as: Wonderful Old Beach Home, where the movie "The Shag" was filmed. The builder was an architect, faintly influenced by Frank Loyd Wright. 4 Bed/3 Bath - Open House Sat. and Sun. 1-3!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:33 pm 

That house posted above looks like it was Pudge's house, not the Clatterbuck's. But cool - it is so retro inside. Love the blue kitchen :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Our Myrtle Beach message board members are just amazing! Thank you, Elisa, for coming up with this jewel!

Yes, I host this board and keep it online for all you Myrtle Beach fans, but over the many years, I have learned more from you than you have from me.

:beerchug:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:06 am 

When I first saw this discussion, I immediately thought of the house for sale at Burchap Drive - but didn't know if that was the "party house" in the movie (I've only ever watched the movie once, and missed parts of it even then).

That Burchap Drive home has been the topic of discussion recently and for quite some time among some locals - as it's been for sale for several years now with no buyer or noticeably interested "party" (pun intended). It's actually in rather poor shape structurally - and a friend recently told me it's especially deteriorating around the foundation and garage area (which runs underneath the house). The house itself has little modern conveniences and very outdated utilities, and the asking price has been gradually dropping over the years-long term of the attempted sale.

It seems the bottom line - and general consensus - is that it's not worth the asking price even now, and its main appeal seems to be its connection to the movie. In my opinion, any eventual buyer will likely demolish the home and re-build something else on the site...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:27 am 

I went and looked at the house online and it is the house where Pudge lived and all it showed in the movie was Luann picking her up... My girls are crazy about this movie and could probably quote ever word lol... They would like to know where the party was filmed ... I'm sure it and the house at the beginning of the movie are the same just decorated different.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:14 pm 

We love this movie!! Found it on VHS at the dollar store for, yup a dollar!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 pm 

The VHS has the original music the DVD does not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:55 pm 

Several of the folks in the discussion I mentioned were either extras or otherwise had some involvement with the movie. I asked on an online discussion with them if this was the "party house" in the movie - just waiting on responses...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:01 pm 

Just got the answer, from one of the guys who was an extra in the movie and confirmed by another who was associated with it: the Burchap house above was not the "party house". The party house was indeed in the Dunes section, on Patterson Drive...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:36 pm 

myrtle beachcomber wrote:
The VHS has the original music the DVD does not.

Very cool! Didn't know that!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:15 pm 

OK, just got back home - and have a correction. One of the guys I asked posted the following:

"Actually the "party house" was an old house on the river in Georgetown. My brother and I were extras. We were the ones dunking kids in the PJ basin. And the guy on the front porch with the records on his ears was my brother Davis. Although the scenes were scripted, it felt more like having a party while they filmed."

So there you have it - from a guy who was actually a participant in the party scene...