Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 pm 

I know for many people the drive is simply a necessary evil, but does anyone else actually look forward to it? For me it’s one of the highlights of my vacation, cruising down I-77 at sunrise, seeing all the familiar landmarks, and coming over Fancy Gap is always a favorite. I love driving anyway, had a family trip to Disneyworld last September and everyone else flew down while I drove my car (Scion FR-S…driving through the mountains on I-77 in a car built for handling is SOOO much fun). I spent a couple days by myself at Myrtle (Compass Cove) then drove on down to meet them in Orlando. Made the drive straight home from Disney to home (central Ohio) in about 13 ½ hours and loved every minute of it. I’m sure that the anticipation of hitting the beach has a lot to do with it also, haha.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:40 am 

I don't mind the drive, but to say that I love it would be insane. Perhaps if I had someone with me who I'd trust to get us there in one piece while I got to be a passenger for a little while, I may love it. However, my fiance' scares the living hell out of me behind the wheel so while I'm in the car/truck, she's not allowed to drive unless I'm physically unable to. If I'm too tired or had too much to drink, then I have no choice. I do look forward to parts of it, but in all reality, I just want to get there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:28 am 

I'm with you on this. But, a lot more with the drive down....than the drive back!

I think there are 3 reasons why I love the drive down:

1. Tradition: I am a 52 year old father of two boys, but my love for the drive down began when I was a boy myself. We often took trips south - following the same route (Rt. 15 south from central NY - to I-95) and when you do this over and over, you build traditions. Places to stop for a snack, landmarks along the way, certain town names, places to stop and eat, and of course, places to stay over night. "We have to have breakfast here, because that's were we did last year!"

As a father today, I still see some of those same landmarks, restaurants, hotels. We have stopped at some, and moved on from others as they got older and dumpier. But now my boys look for certain landmarks (the "Statue of Liberty" in the middle of the Susquehanna river near Harrisburg, the red horse atop the hotel in Frederick, and of course, the South of the Border signs).

The old roads have been replaced in some areas with new highways.....I can now drive from my hometown in upstate NY to MB on only 4 lane roads - no more old 2 lane roads! But the routes are essentially the same.

2. The planning: What time to leave? Where should we break first? Should I go the longer 4 lane at Williamsport, or take the shorter 2 lane? The beltway around Washington, or 81 to 17 to Fredericksburg? Through Richmond, or the longer, but faster bypass? And now of course, the new routes to Wilmington, or stay on crowded 95 to South of the Boarder and across?

Much of this depends on the time of day that I am traveling. And even though I know the routes, the stops, the rest areas, the gas stations like the back of my hand - I still love to do the planning.

3. The anticipation: I will have the car packed the night before. We drive to work with it loaded. I pick everyone up as soon as they are released from school - and on the highway we go! Then, the race begins. Practically the whole community takes off at the same time. We pass each other. They pass us back. We see them stop and we pass them honking, they then pass us honking as we stop for gas later. They go two different ways at Harrisburg, we go a third way. Then we all see each other at the rest area right after Fredericksburg - telling our traffic tales, and acting like we haven't seen each other in months. We all split up for our overnight, and then we are lost to one another the next morning....until we see each other again on a morning walk on the beach, or an evening stroll around Broadway at the Beach, or Barefoot Landing.

Yea. I love the drive.

Oh, I have something new this year....a break from tradition. This year, for the first time, my oldest son is 16. He will begin his driving traditions this year. And I will renew my childhood tradition of sitting as a passenger, looking out the window at the communities and hills and yards and billboards and businesses and hotels and tourist traps and historical signs and......

:hello:

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:40 am 

I too love the drive. Seeing the same sights on the way tells you where you are. Nice starting out at 5am. Crossing the border as the sun is rising and having half the days driving done as you eat your lunch. Always good times when heading to the beach :D

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

Last edited by dbusguy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:54 am 

I love driving. As a kid my family were campers. My Dad pulled a pop up camper around the country. I spent a lot of travel time looking at America out a station wagon window. My first two visits to MB were at a campground. There have been a few vacations when my wife would fly to our destination with my youngest and I would drive with the other two boys. Now we all drive. We typically split the drive down to MB from Ohio over two days. We drive home in one day which isn't nearly as exciting as the drive down.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

There is nothing greater than the feeling you get, when you start the trip to MB! Unfortunately, fifteen minutes into the trip, you realize that there's 18 hours more to go :smash[1]: ! Before all of my health issues, I actually enjoyed the trip. Now it has become very difficult for me to drive long distances. Luckily, my wife will drive if I need her to!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:48 pm 

When I pull out of the driveway, the vacation has officially started. The drive down is one of my favorite things about vacation. Nothing like pulling out of the drive, knowing your destination is the beach. The vehicle has to be spotless inside and out. A fresh oil change and tires all properly inflated.

We always pack the top of the SUV and big suitcases the evening before we leave. Don't want to be out doing those things at 3 a.m. Outside of a few small items, all I have to do is get a quick shower before we leave. Right now the leave time is always around 3:30 a.m. which put us in MB some time around lunch. We usually hit the first rest area in North Carolina and the gas stops are always in either Spartanburg or Columbia, depending on how many of the kids have woke up. The route never changes and we are happy with the leave time right now. Traffic is usually not an issue because we beat most of the check-in traffic to the beach.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 pm 

You all have heard me say many times getting there is half the fun. I LOVE the anticipation of arriving at the beach. Everyone is in a great mood and ready to start having fun. I don't actually look forward to the drive itself, but the trip over is always fun. Now the trip back :mad: has to be on of the saddest days of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:51 pm 

Deanna wrote:
Now the trip back :mad: has to be on of the saddest days of the year.

I could't agree more...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:48 pm 

Deanna wrote:
. Now the trip back :mad: has to be on of the saddest days of the year.

I guess that's why we always leave the beach at midnight. Myrtle Beach may be the highlight of my year, and the last thing I want to do is sit in traffic on the way home. Just turn on the cruise control and get back to the house before anyone wakes up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:36 pm 

Put me down as enjoying the drive. After months of being told where to go and when to be there the drive to beach is eight hours of MY time. No hurry. No worry.
Last trip we stopped three times before we got to North Carolina. Well......That was two days before check in......Took the no hurry to new level......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:57 pm 

bounty hunter wrote:
(Scion FR-S…driving through the mountains on I-77 in a car built for handling is SOOO much fun)

Oh, that would definitely be a highlight of a trip! Nice!

I did it twice in a Mazda Tribute (which is a cosmetically different Ford Escape.) Did it once to Disneyworld and once to Myrtle. Coming from north of Pittsburgh, we travel I79 and I77 through West Virginia. Have to tell you, heading up through the mountains in a Mazda Tribute is painful. On the way up it was all I could do to hold 45-50 mph with the trans constantly hunting between 2nd and 3rd gear flat on the floor.

That poor Mazda, heading down to Disney when we hit Orlando! I still had cars going by me when I glanced over at the wife and asked, "You ever been above 100 mph? Well, you are now!" Crazy down there in Orlando.

Now our trip to Myrtle last year, well, wifey was able to make sure we had a different vehicle. Lets just say after January, she needed one of those window banners that say, "If you can read this, please flip me over." Took the insurance cash and dropped it on what I originally wanted when I bought the Mazda, a V6 Rav4. Now this past trip heading up the mountains in WV, wow, what a difference! I was having a blast with 269 horses under my foot. It's not a handler being a small SUV, but powering up those mountains was a lot of fun and a big relief from struggling up in the old Mazda.

In the traffic of Myrtle pulling out onto Kings Highway from a non lighted intersection, 0-60 in 6.1 seconds, boy did that make it nice also. No more seeing a gap, put it on the floor, and scream, "Go Go Go!" trying to accelerate across the north lanes to get into the south lanes. Now it's just punch it and hurry up and let off or else I'll be getting in trouble exceeding the limit real quick if the boys happen to be anywhere around.

Yeah, I look forward to the drive. I love driving. I love going through the mountains of West Virginia at sunrise. I love getting through PA, WV, and VA and having the view of the sky open up in the Carolinas. We don't have that over here in the Appalachian mountains. At home, we don't have beautiful sunsets because it is going down below the trees on the hills in the near distance before the colors in the sky come. I love driving into the flat areas and seeing the expanse of sky opened up before us.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:28 pm 

I enjoy the drive and have no issues with it, but I am a driver! The only part of the drive I hate coming from Pittsburgh and the return home is the trip through WV. It never seems to end and I celebrate when I hit I-77 after getting off 19.

The drive is part of vacation I guess. My kids never seem to mind and we usually break it up in 2 days going down and one day coming home. I still remember the days before kids when the wife and I pulled the all night drive leaving around 11pm and getting to MB around sunrise.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:47 pm 

The drive in the 1970 deville is always fun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:58 pm 

mrodgers wrote:

That poor Mazda, heading down to Disney when we hit Orlando! I still had cars going by me when I glanced over at the wife and asked, "You ever been above 100 mph? Well, you are now!" Crazy down there in Orlando.

The stretch of interstate (I-4 I think) from Daytona to Orlando is crazy. Speed limit must not exist there. I saw two cars flipped on their hood in two different wrecks while we were leaving. When I'm on I-75 going to Lexington, KY. maybe a couple of cars will pass me on the 60 plus mile trip. I may have been the slowest car on I-4. No way was I wanting to keep the flow with traffic going at that speed.

Mr. Green wrote:
I still remember the days before kids when the wife and I pulled the all night drive leaving around 11pm and getting to MB around sunrise.

I used to love the all night drive to MB. Had about a four car caravan that left at the same time every year. Back then communication was with the 2 way walkie talkies that everyone had, which made it a lot of fun. Cell phone minutes were too expensive to just call back and forth. The first stop was always the first rest area on I-26 in South Carolina. We would eat breakfast at a Shoney's in Florence every year. It was a very peaceful drive on the way down. Pretty much put on the cruise and point it in the right direction.
Only problem with the all night drive was having to wait on check-in time. Just got to the point were it was too big of a hassle to entertain the kids for that many hours. We still drive all night on the way home.