Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Bowl Menu Theme
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:34 pm 

Though our parties are getting smaller, we still decorate and have a theme for every Super Bowl. Since this year's game will be in the Big Apple, I thought it might be fun to have a "New York" theme for our menu. I soon realized that I don't have an extensive knowledge of what would be considered "New York" food. Here's the list off of the top of my head:

- New York style pizza
- Bagels
- Coney-Style hotdogs
- New York Strip Steak
- New York Cheese Cake
- Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Hot Pastrami Sandwich

Not all of those would translate into good football party food. How about some suggestions from the group? Or, how about another theme idea?

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:32 pm 

OK in my humble opinion I would add some Buffalo wings that hail from Buffalo, NY (yummo) and hot pretzels that you get off any vendor on our streets. The pretzels they sell frozen and you can bake them in your oven. Serve them with hot spicy mustard or melted cheese sauce. Buffalo wings can be bought premade or follow an easy online recipe.

Love the idea of the pizza, Bagels with Lox and cream cheese (if you can tolerate), Coney Island Dogs made with Nathan's of course :wink:, and the cheesecake . Also, the pastrami sandwiches are a good idea but corned beef is great too. Easy to make a corned beef in the crockpot and just slice and sandwich on Rye bread with melted swiss and sauerkraut.

Sounds like a great theme and a good time!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:42 pm 

It's NYC - Gotta do some babka ! :nanner:

I always do traditional tailgate fare.... Hot Italian sausages w/peppers & onions along with home-made buffalo wings (though I also make a few batches with my custom-made BBQ/Caribbean sauce). Geez... maybe we better do a test-run this weekend :drinkin:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

:ac41[1]:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:19 am 

As a die hard fan of football, I have to admit that I hate Superbowl parties. No one can shut up during the game and it drives me insane.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:47 am 

We're doing some condo shopping for September 2014. I didn't find any recent posts on Bay Watch. Has anyone stayed there lately? Your thoughts and review on location and the hotel would be appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMC_Corporation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:49 am 

What? No beet-pickled eggs? :joker:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 pm 
Forum Support

faris wrote:
We're doing some condo shopping for September 2014. I didn't find any recent posts on Bay Watch. Has anyone stayed there lately? Your thoughts and review on location and the hotel would be appreciated.

You may have better luck starting a thread, then replying to one about the Super Bowl.

But here is a current thread talking about the Bay Watch.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14771

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:00 pm 

Phroggy, you said you hate superbowl parties as nobody can shut up. My son and husband feel the same way. They want nobody over, just us, so they can listen and watch the game in peace, rather than everyone talking about other things. HaHa!

Post subject: Super Bowl Menu Theme
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:30 am 

Cathy, we agree with your husband and son. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:34 am 

Our basement for years was our TV-watching room with the big TV (plus a great place to hide the teenagers...) For last year's SB/Ravens party I bought a large-ish TV for the family room, so now the chatterboxes can stay in the family-room/kitchen and the "serious watchers" can head to the basement.

Only in America... :nanner:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 pm 

After 30 years of working in Sports Television, I'm much more interested in the party than the game (unless the Steelers are in it). Sports TV sounds like a fun job, but you sure get burned out after awhile. And after 30 years... well, you understand. I have trouble watching basketball games on TV anymore because it's just like being at work. I stopped televising baseball about 10 years ago, because it is my favorite sport and I didn't want to ruin it.

As for our Super Bowl party theme... still undecided. We've decided to do Mexican for the Daytona 500 (Tacos/ 7 layer dip/ margaritas/ Dos XX), but haven't made a choice for Sunday. We better hurry!

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm 

WVParkfan wrote:

As for our Super Bowl party theme... still undecided. We've decided to do Mexican for the Daytona 500 (Tacos/ 7 layer dip/ margaritas/ Dos XX), but haven't made a choice for Sunday. We better hurry!

Scott

What's on the menu for the X games? :lol: Sounds like you guys don't have to have much of an excuse to have a get together. Sound like my kind of people. :beerchug: :drinkin:

I really wish they would just change the Super Bowl to a Saturday night. The way it is now I end up going home at halftime to get the kids settled down and to bed because of school the next day. I could also drink a few more cold ones if I didn't have to work the next day. There was some talk a few years ago about somehow throwing a holiday in with Super Bowl week, so people wouldn't have to go to work the next day. We gather on the Super Bowl, but usually just wait and have our "fun" party on Kentucky Derby Day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:58 pm 

Quote:
I really wish they would just change the Super Bowl to a Saturday night.

AGREED ! Might have to setup something on SurveyMonkey.com and send to Roger Goodell.